cct

Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

“Into the Night” (and its video) is super creepy, though, even if it’s a great vocal performance. That said, I don’t really hear it that much anymore.

Edited by Costello

On 12/1/2018 at 7:09 PM, Juliajms said:

^ I'm with you.  My original point is just that it's a lot easier for someone with low talent to rise in Hollywood than in the field of astrophysics. Science is probably one of the most sexist fields out there though, there is no denying that. 

Many men are really convinced that because there haven't been as many notable female mathematical geniuses in history it's because women are bad at math.  Of course, many groups face similar bigotry, but it's disappointing when people who really are intelligent in other ways can't figure out that the difference is one of opportunity. On top of that most of us know women have to face sexual harassment by the gatekeepers of opportunity.

That said, Ben Carson has forever disabused me of the notion that someone who is intelligent in one way is generally bright.

Oh definitely.  Sadly, I was just mentioning this in another thread about Ken Berry-- that there was a time when you used to have to possess true, discernible talent and even luck on top of all that, to make it in entertainment but now, it seems, all you need is the ability to throw a chair or a table.

I continue to be flummoxed by Ben Carson.  I still think he tried (and failed) to perform a lobotomy on himself and things went terribly wrong.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

6 hours ago, Costello said:

“Into the Night” (and its video) is super creepy, though, even if it’s a great vocal performance. That said, I don’t really hear it that much anymore.

I think the song is meant to be written from a teenager's point of view (I don't know). I really thought it was a great song...until I saw the video. 

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Hey @Juliajms speaking of women and science, OMG at this!

Ugh! I see from the bottom of the thread that it was some DJ who said it. What an ass. I think our society can do better (although not when our leader is a misogynist), but it's hard for me to imagine a time when there isn't significant sexism. Obviously racism is holding us back as well.  It makes me said when I think of how much further ahead we could be if the scientific fields really were a meritocracy. 

On 12/2/2018 at 1:04 PM, Costello said:

My brother cracks up at the way Benny is wailing about a 16 year old.  But yes, great vocals!

On 12/2/2018 at 7:45 PM, DRW50 said:

I think the song is meant to be written from a teenager's point of view (I don't know). I really thought it was a great song...until I saw the video. 

It IS a great song, certainly amazing vocal performance. I know many see it as creepy because of the society they've been brought up in, as 18 being this watermark for sexual consent. But 2/3 of the world puts it at 16... so I guess it's not so creepy in Canada, the UK, and Europe? It just makes one wonder. I was always stunned that sexual themes have always been a reason to ban a song, but MURDER is not! Another example of how the United States looks the other way when it comes to violence, but sex is dirty and must be hidden.