Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Members

Reading the article last night took my sense of disgust to an even new level but one interesting aspect was the fact that CBS' arrogance in its decision to take on Shari Redstone in an ultra-aggressive manner seems to have provided an extra impetus for Moonves' eventual downfall because the investigations began in earnest as a result of the legal fight that ensued between Moonves and Redstone.

The way that sleazy manager used his female clients, particularly Phillips, to leverage his career is beyond the pale.  LaRue may be a B-lister (which yes, an actor who has never had a big movie career is regarded as one step below) but at least, she had the integrity to dump the sleazy manager. Wise move.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm not going to link to the People article about 'checking in' with poor Matt Lauer and how he and his kids have been through hell. Because I don't want People to get the clicks.So here is an article about it and the comments are predictably angry: 

https://www.celebitchy.com/601696/peoples_despicable_matt_lauer_profile_he_is_not_doing_well_has_too_much_time/#comments

• Members

That's true in Hollywood for sure, but with someone like NDT he wouldn't be where he is without scientific talent.  It does make me particularly sad when someone has a great mind and then ends up also being a misogynist.  It's just so disappointing that people can be so smart in some ways and stupid in others. I suppose that's human nature though. Time and experience has certainly taught me not to put anyone on a pedestal.

I'm not even saying NDT is necessarily guilty. Time will tell, but when I'm not sitting in a jury box, I tend to believe the victims when there is more than one, even if there isn't additional supporting evidence.

• Members

Yes, there is certainly a base level of intelligence and skill for the scientific field in which NDT is but it is far from a true meritocracy.  One of my aunts is a scientist and there is rampant sexism and misogyny in the scientific field. Even in whose papers get seen and promoted and who rises to the top of their profession within a given scientific field. 

I have a friend who used to be a researcher at Sloan Kettering until she got absolutely disgusted by the level of competition, backstabbing, infighting, territorial disputes and politics involved in whose work gets promoted.  At the time, there was also the problem of mostly male superiors taking credit for the work of some female underlings/assistants who did quite a bit of the grunt work.   I don't know if people keep up with what goes on at some of these institutions but Sloane Kettering recently had a mini-scandal with one of their researches not making proper citations in his work.  His had mostly to do with where the money was coming from but all of his research papers are now being combed through to see whether his findings have been compromised by his corporate ties.

Science is actually a very tough field in which for women to get ahead.  There's a lot of talent there, they are just very slow to recognize and very slow to promote. 

Does anyone remember what the former president of Harvard once said about women in science? Look up his remarks.

Everyone talks about Crick and Watson but Rosalind Franklin was every bit as instrumental to what we know about DNA but she goes practically unrecognized.

All I'm saying is NDT can indeed be a brilliant scientist, but there may be a woman who is just as brilliant but never even got the chance to prove it. The top talent doesn't always rise to the top.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

^ I'm with you.  My original point is just that it's a lot easier for someone with low talent to rise in Hollywood than in the field of astrophysics. Science is probably one of the most sexist fields out there though, there is no denying that. 

Many men are really convinced that because there haven't been as many notable female mathematical geniuses in history it's because women are bad at math.  Of course, many groups face similar bigotry, but it's disappointing when people who really are intelligent in other ways can't figure out that the difference is one of opportunity. On top of that most of us know women have to face sexual harassment by the gatekeepers of opportunity.

That said, Ben Carson has forever disabused me of the notion that someone who is intelligent in one way is generally bright.

• Members

I don't like the song.... but yes... utterly ridiculous. Mark my words, "Your'e Sixteen" (Johnny Burnette and Ringo Starr) and "Into The Night" by Benny Mardones will be next on the list. 

Geez, this chick thought somebody looking at the tattoo on her shoulder was creepy? Some people need to slow their roll.