Days of Our Lives General Discussion

• Members

The loss of the DiMeras, Marlena, Hope, and Bo all within a matter of a year and a half really hurt.  Patch and Kayla really ate the show and what's ironic is they never really had a great storyline.  Even their wedding, with Kayla suddenly being able to speak, was cheesily awful.  IMO, the Patch of the 80s was one of the worst, dumbest characters ever created. 

Yes I think Cruz & Eden were a far better couple.  Tons more chemistry, far better writing, and both could stand alone as 3 dimensional, fully fleshed out characters.   Steve and Kayla really couldn't.  In fact, Kayla didn't come into her own until Steve was written off the show.

I actually agree that the early 80s were certainly a golden period, 100% absolutely.  But anyone who was watching from 86-89 will tell you that everything that was good about the early part of the decade was gone by those years.  The late 80s were a legitimate chore to watch.  I'd say DAYS didn't start getting good again til around '92.  Even the initial Marlena and Roman returns fell flat because once they brought RealRoman in, the stakes were significantly lowered in Marlena's return.  John could stay with Isabella and Marlena go with RealRoman.  That happened within a month or 2 of Deidre's comeback.  And it was a shame- I was hugely invested in her return because that summer, SB lost Marcy Walker and AW lost Anne Heche and Cali Timmins.  But it took a long while for it to really work onscreen.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How the [!@#$%^&*] is murderous Hope Police Commissioner?  

Paul trying to convince John was so well written.  It's what you expect for the odd person out to do, be desperate.  I appreciate that he wants to know instead of living in denial.  Great scenes!  

Not sure why anyone believes Nicole is triangle worthy?  But the point of contention?  Delusional fvcks!  

Never thought I see anything by Ron be the best of Daytime but he's hitting some great notes.  

• Members

Some of the quality of Days being poorer for part of the late 80s was based on the long writing strike, though the show that suffered the most on NBC was Santa Barbara. Specifically in Steve and Kayla's relationship Days had to rewrite their story once Mary Beth Evans became pregnant in 87. 

• Members

I know Santa Barbara wasn't Days of our Lives, and I know Marcy Walker was never on Days.  However, did NBC Daytime promos of the late '80s try to make Marcy out to be the new Deidre Hall?

I can't prove this, but I have a feeling that the role of Kristen DiMera on Days was offered to Marcy in the early '90s before Eileen Davidson was hired for it.  Now, of course, it's difficult to imagine an actress other than Eileen as Kristen.

Wow! Today's Days was fun. No one realizing that ''Adrienne'' is really Bon Bon makes everyone look stupid. No one questioning how Adrienne who had a Mastectomy is showing her ample bosoms.  Still we finally get a pay off to the doggelganger nonsense. I loved seeing so many people at The Kiriakis Mansion. I wonder if we will ever learn who Angelica's mystery partner is? I'm really liking T-Boz as Sheila. Eli has way more chemistry with Shelia than with a bland Gabi. Loved when Bonnie pushed Maggie and called her B. Poor Adrienne that woman is going to end up with post traumatic stress disorder. Chandler looked so cute playing dead. It's nice to see stories advancing. I wouldn't say this is Douglas Marland level writing yet is way better than the Tale of the 2 Jason's over at Mob Hospital. 

• Members

Currently watching March 1995 episodes on YouTube and man I miss Salem Place

Please register in order to view this content

I also miss how the show used to look. I miss the Cheatin' Heart, Austin and Billie/Carrie's apartments, Marlena's penthouse ... I miss Alice

When did soaps switch from how they filmed? It was clearly different than it is now.

• Members

The first episodes of DAYS that I ever watched were during Marlena's possession probably around late 90s. I never kept up regularly (I was young) and I don't think the show stayed on at one channel for too long at a time.

I'm finally doing a proper watch of (most) of the Reilly years. I know the broad strokes but most of it is completely new, which is exciting. I'm in January 1995. The devil stuff freaks me out a little but I'm dealing with it lol

I'm taken by how great the Bo/Billie/Gina stuff is. Such genuine romance and intrigue. Despite the creepiness factor of this Bo, I find him such a great recast and his VOICE -- it sounds like it's the same actor. 

Laura is radiant. I have fallen in love with Carrie and the actress. I can't believe Muldoon is actually decent. I do not hate the Jack recast like I thought I would.

I always thought there's a strong Y&R inspiration to Reilly's DAYS and this confirms it. Slow stories, a unique tone, a dash of OTT storyline every now and then. Reilly's DAYS is what Y&R would be if its idiosyncrasies were stretched to the absurd. It's what MAB or Chuck wished it would be if they were talented.

• Members

Never liked JER's writing. the show with its false daily reveals and people talking to themselves got real old real fast. SB was at one time a truly great show...but for me it went downhill in it's last years. liked how it wrapped up and the final episode was truly sad but wonderful. late 80s Days I enjoyed....until some performances and SLs went off the rails (89-91 is when Drake started his brutal downhill slide in his acting). I never heard of MW playing Kristen on Days.....but that would have been very interesting. Days was fun from '76 (when I started watching) through '92-'93. 

Archived