Days of Our Lives General Discussion

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ken Corday, an inveterate liar, claimed it was. It was complete bullshit and the fired actors said so.

The New Salem/'Melaswen' "plot" - which could only very loosely be called that - dragged on for what felt like years but might've only been 6-12 months?? and was nonsensical from start to finish. Beginning with Marlena 'dying', being tunneled through the earth's core in her coffin to the island, and having it revealed that the Marlena we saw kill all those people ourselves had actually hallucinated it all while Ninja Andre - a repeat serial killer himself going back to the 1980s, now back on the show again today - shot them with drugged blowdarts as Marlena stood by hypnotized.

That's what you're dealing with here. That and Sami transforming herself into "Stan" and serving in Iraq.

• Members

The idea of loads of characters 'dying' but actually being on an island sounds like a good one - the other details you mention, not so good

Please register in order to view this content

I'd also heard about 'Stan' which sounds bizarre.

What are your views on Kate Roberts, and Calliope from the 80s?

• Members

I am one of apparently few who think Kate reached her sell-by date long ago. I can't think of a villain she hasn't fúcked or turned out to have been a prostitute for. It's all the same. Now she's with Andre the serial killer. Ridiculous.

I wasn't around for Calliope but I am always for John de Lancie from Star Trek, who played Eugene.

The island was terrible.

• Members

Frankly, I think James E. Reilly's limitations as a writer were apparent when he was co-HW'ing GL.  Remember when Nadine hid the very-much-pregnant Bridget in the attic and pretended to be pregnant herself so she could then pass off baby Peter as her own?  To me, that had all the earmarks of a Reilly plot.  (It certainly wasn't anything that longtime GL fans had been used to.)  However, it helped to have writers like Lorraine Broderick, Nancy Curlee, and Stephen Demorest there to offset that craziness with more logical, and more quintessentially GL, writing.

And I won't even mention when he was an associate writer at GH and probably responsible for the Laurelton Murders story -- one which shares more than a passing resemblance to the "Aremid" stuff he wrote for DAYS, and one which longtime GH fans on this board have expressed a clear distaste for in the past.

I was around for Calliope, and I loved her.  Yes, she was campy, but she was also very endearing, and a wonderful foil for Leann Hunley's Anna.  It's just shameful how her brief return to the show during one of Dena Higley's 1100 HW'ing stints turned out.

• Members

But it DID provide one of the most unintentionally funny moments in recent soap history.  Remember when that hologram of Tom Horton's disembodied head chased Marlena around after she had "murdered" Alice?  God, but that was hilarious (for all the wrong reasons, of course).

• Members

'
Actually, the 70s were the real golden years.  The 80s were the supercouple era, but the second half of that decade saw an extreme drop in quality.

I enjoyed the plots of the Reilly years- my issue was always that he never wrote the characters properly.  He brought back Hope but she was a shell of her former self.  Marlena was portrayed as weak, until the gas chamber storyline and then the triangle with Kristen kicked in.  Wayne Northrop's Roman was written as a complete dud waste, which he never was.  Jennifer was written as a confused moron.... point being his characterization was never as strong as his plots.  Character was more often than not sacrificed for plot.  Truly, the only characters he really fleshed out were villains or the ones he created.

Archived