Jump to content
Edward Skylover

Days of Our Lives General Discussion

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Antoyne said:

I'm ok with EJ never returning, and I much preferred him with Nicole to Sami. But I'm also ok with never seeing Nicole again as well. My god I just got reminded how awful she became. She was once a favorite of mine.

 

+1

 

May EJ never return

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought EJ was hot, and he had great chemistry with lots of other actors.  But the problem for me was he was just on too much.  The problem with letting 5 or so characters always driving all story is that it burned me out.  

 

Even in the super couple era, there were at least several couples going at once, so it didn’t seem as dominating on screen.  

 

Since about 2000, this era of soaps has been defined by the single lead driving story all the time, and it sucks.

 

GH kind of created this mess during the Monty era, but even then you had multiple leads and then the b story leads.  Now it’s like you only have story for one or one set of characters and that’s it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a clip of Tom and Alice grieving Addie in 1974.

 

 

Marlena and her twin sister Samantha, 1977. Deirdre certainly looks young!!

 

 

Another Marlena clip from 1977.

 

 

Edited by Edward Skylover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 1995 was a bit of a mixed bag for me.


Marlena has been unconscious in the hospital foreeeeveeeeer. Only towards the end of the month did Stefano finally kidnap her. That being said, Marlena 'waking up' to learn she attacked the cop was wonderfully played, and very sad. This is where you see why Hall was/is so utterly popular. I'm on her side, no matter what. Makes me think how this whole story could be about Marlena having bizarre, mental-illness like symptoms (without the possession) and it could be almost the same.

 

Gina going from zero to cop in 2 seconds was ludicrous.

 

I'm so relieved Laura finally learned who Jack really is. JLB did some good work here. Of course they kept the truth a secret. Like, OK gurl, your daughter's ex dicked you unaware of who you were. So what?

 

Also, the Vivian story kept me interested. It was so exciting that Kate finally discovered what Vivian's been up to. I have to admit, I was on the fence about Adair. Her previous work (especially the dreaded Tracy on DYNASTY) has always left me cold. But the way she blew up on Vivian and her fear over the plane crash (yaaaaawn) was very well acted. I am a fan now, at least of her work on this show. It was a really good instinct to have Vivian genuinely horrified of the thought she inadvertently caused Kate's death. A touch of humanity that goes a long way. And the scene of Victor holding Philip, lamenting Kate being dead was very touching. 

 

LOL I don't know how the search for Sami turned into Carrie kidnapped by a hot pimp and primed for prostitution, but I'm going with it. I guess the whole thing is done for 'action,' to fill time, and to bring Austin and Carrie back together just in time for Sami to realize she's preggers. 

 

By the way, where's Alan? And Wendy, Jonah, Abe, Lexie, and Maggie have NOTHING to do. Does JER ever give Maggie a storyline? 

 

 

 

Edited by YRBB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall Maggie having a storyline during these years. I remember reading a fan comment around 1999 that suggested she be written out, as all she was doing was confirming that such-and-such was bad and insisting (insert couple's name here) would end up together in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, YRBB said:

March 1995 was a bit of a mixed bag for me.


Marlena has been unconscious in the hospital foreeeeveeeeer. Only towards the end of the month did Stefano finally kidnap her. That being said, Marlena 'waking up' to learn she attacked the cop was wonderfully played, and very sad. This is where you see why Hall was/is so utterly popular. I'm on her side, no matter what. Makes me think how this whole story could be about Marlena having bizarre, mental-illness like symptoms (without the possession) and it could be almost the same.

 

Gina going from zero to cop in 2 seconds was ludicrous.

 

I'm so relieved Laura finally learned who Jack really is. JLB did some good work here. Of course they kept the truth a secret. Like, OK gurl, your daughter's ex dicked you unaware of who you were. So what?

 

Also, the Vivian story kept me interested. It was so exciting that Kate finally discovered what Vivian's been up to. I have to admit, I was on the fence about Adair. Her previous work (especially the dreaded Tracy on DYNASTY) has always left me cold. But the way she blew up on Vivian and her fear over the plane crash (yaaaaawn) was very well acted. I am a fan now, at least of her work on this show. It was a really good instinct to have Vivian genuinely horrified of the thought she inadvertently caused Kate's death. A touch of humanity that goes a long way. And the scene of Victor holding Philip, lamenting Kate being dead was very touching. 

 

LOL I don't know how the search for Sami turned into Carrie kidnapped by a hot pimp and primed for prostitution, but I'm going with it. I guess the whole thing is done for 'action,' to fill time, and to bring Austin and Carrie back together just in time for Sami to realize she's preggers. 

 

By the way, where's Alan? And Wendy, Jonah, Abe, Lexie, and Maggie have NOTHING to do. Does JER ever give Maggie a storyline? 

 

 

Where are you watching all this?? Love your write-up. 

 

So, I began watching DAYS in late July of 1995 - literally the last episode where Marlena was possessed ("dead" in the morgue; her final battle with Father John... then he takes her lifeless body to the church where she miraculously awakens in front of everyone), but a couple years later, I bought some VHS tapes (oh, the 90's!) from someone who had edited the possession story together, so I got to see it from start to finish, but some other stories were sometimes included, including the entire ordeal with Kate (Deborah Adair) confronting Viv; Kate's plane going down; Viv & Ivan finding out what happened and fearing the worst, etc., just as you just watched. 

 

ITA, I liked seeing Vivian's humanity, showing she was genuinely horrified that her manipulations had brought about Kate's death. 

 

I never got to see the "Pacifier" storyline with Jonah and Lexie, but I always thought it would/would've been great to bring Thyme Lewis (he's still a good lookin' guy!) back as Jonah, along with a dynamic actress as Wendy.  Heck, they could bring back Yvonne Wright. She was weak during her original '96-97 run, but improved leaps 'n bounds during her years on GL as Mel. 

 

Maggie's teeny tiny time being used was during the summer of 1996 when Jonah wanted to enter Wendy's son Benjamin into some modeling contest, and you could tell Wendy was worried the attention in the spotlight would enable her baby daddy to find them. During this teeny tiny summer story, Wendy would confide in Maggie. 

 

Edited by Gray Bunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 11:03 PM, Franko said:

I don't recall Maggie having a storyline during these years. I remember reading a fan comment around 1999 that suggested she be written out, as all she was doing was confirming that such-and-such was bad and insisting (insert couple's name here) would end up together in the end.

 

On 5/17/2018 at 11:20 PM, titan1978 said:

I don’t recall JER really focusing on Maggie

 

Ah, yes, that's the impression that I had. That's a real shame. Thanks!

 

On 5/17/2018 at 11:20 PM, titan1978 said:

until he killed her with a bottle of alcohol.

 

I shouldn't LOL at this but.... LOL!

 

On 5/18/2018 at 11:21 AM, Gray Bunny said:

 

Where are you watching all this?? Love your write-up. 

 

Maggie's teeny tiny time being used was during the summer of 1996 when Jonah wanted to enter Wendy's son Benjamin into some modeling contest, and you could tell Wendy was worried the attention in the spotlight would enable her baby daddy to find them. During this teeny tiny summer story, Wendy would confide in Maggie. 

 

Thanks! I can PM you the details, if you'd like.

 

That's really all? lol I guess Maggie is not a character that would fit into JER's type of stories easily. I'm sure the age didn't help, plus there were other sounding boards (like Alice) around too. But, it is rather interesting that he still kept her around.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1996 was where I think JER went off the rails with the show, imho. 

 

Sami went from conflicted and showing shades of good/evil.. to being an outright witch to everyone even her grandmother Caroline (and back then Caroline would call out Sami on her selfishness.. and no way was she propping Sami like she did in the Higley era).

 

During my high school years, everyone watch the show for Kristen, Marlena, Vivian, and Lexi (they thought she was beautiful and under-used).  I recall most of them were pissed when Vivian was given the axe in late 1999/early 2000s just as Phillip had been aged to a teen (and he was playing Kate and Vivian off against each other.. and Vivian was restored as a human character in 1999.. during the Sussman/Broderick writing era if I recall correctly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 9:25 PM, Edward Skylover said:

Here's a clip of Tom and Alice grieving Addie in 1974.

 

 

Marlena and her twin sister Samantha, 1977. Deirdre certainly looks young!!

 

 

Another Marlena clip from 1977.

 

 

Thanks for posting these! I never saw DH’s twin sister before so this was a treat. I can’t believe how much higher Deidre’s voice was back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, YRBB said:

 

 

Ah, yes, that's the impression that I had. That's a real shame. Thanks!

 

 

I shouldn't LOL at this but.... LOL!

 

 

Thanks! I can PM you the details, if you'd like.

 

That's really all? lol I guess Maggie is not a character that would fit into JER's type of stories easily. I'm sure the age didn't help, plus there were other sounding boards (like Alice) around too. But, it is rather interesting that he still kept her around.

 

 

Would you PM me the details too lol?

That first clip- I miss Dr. Horton and Alice so much.

 

That is what these fool network and EP’s and HW’s  don’t seem to realize.  We love the older character too!  I want to see them!  

 

When I was a kid, yes it was Bo and Hope that made me tune in at first.  But I loved Alice just as much once I got to know her.  She was as vital to DAYS for me as Marlena, Roman, Bo and Hope were, and I met her when she wasn’t  even mom anymore, but Gran.  On GH I loved Dr. Hardy and Ruby and Edward and Lila Q.

Edited by titan1978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×