Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have basically enjoyed Sussman and Alden's run at Y&R.Yes, they have made a few blunders.They have brought some stability to the show after the disaster of Pratt,Phelps,Passanante and Altman.

As far as empty ballrooms and lack of extras etc. this isn't the 1980"s and 1990's. There are no REAL budgets anymore. We are lucky to have four soaps now.

• Members

I haven't watched regularly in about a month but tuned in the past few days - the writing seems better.  The Jack/Billy/Phyllis laptop business story is pretty good.  nd the Ashley/Graham mystery which I pretty much figured out a couple months ago is pretty good.  Show is slow, but it kind of always was.

When it comes to extras and things like that at a gala/ball - what I don't understand is why they don't just have some of the people on the studio/crew at Y&R just dress up and come out and sit there with some champagne and clap, or dance if it's a ball or whatever.  You really don't need to be an actor to do that.  I'm sure there are people around the studio they could haul out just to make it look more full  and wouldn't take extra $$.

• Members

I have thought about using stage crew as extras but i wondered if that could be a violation of the screen actors union rules.

I agree it is slow. If you want to see slow you should have watched it in Bill Bell's heyday. Talking about slow!!

I guess I am in the minority when I say I like more character driven storytelling. I think most fans prefer plot driven over the top stories.

• Members

"All of this is over Brent Davis."  I feel the same way, Dina. MA gives a great performance everytime. Shock, disbelief,  and a hint of the ridiculous all in one simple line. Best thing about SSMs tenure. 

Brent is Graham's stepfather instead of father for one simple reason. Graham and Ashley will having hate sex by Feb. Which is just as well since ED and MS have heat! Looking forward to it. However, she will have to carry all their stories cause MS is such a weak actor. 

JM doesn't have what it takes to play his new role of Adam. Nick is a lame bore. Plus, the words coming out of his mouth ring false. According to him, victor always thought Nick was nothing without his money? Since when? Nick was always Victor's Golden Boy who could do no wrong even when he was crossing him by turning him in to the Feds. He was surely the favored over Adam. I feel gaslit. Plus, I think Nick giving his money away is so the show can play him as struggling and gives his branch of the family some stakes for their chain of Undergrounds. I don't get why they can't be fighting for position and power at Newman Enterprises. And that the scenes happened at Brash and Sassy made them even more a joke. 

Hilary and Devon are still packing alot of heat. He seemed like a totally different character in those scenes than the one  we've seen the past 7 months trying to make fetch happen with Mariah.  

That was a dinner given by Jack to celebrate with family and close friends. It wasn't the actual award's dinner. 

• Members

Using stagehands and crew would likely be a violation of not just SAG-AFTRA but likely IATSE, which governs the craftspersons and artistans in the entertainment industry.

Regardless of whether it's a speaking role or not.

I haven't seen today's episode yet but I agree with you @ajsp35801 when I read that spoiler about Brent Davis being Graham's stepfather, I immediately believed TPTB did it to leave the door open for a physical relationship between Ashley and Graham down the road.

The motive for Graham's machinations falls flat though, which I suspect it would, albeit for a slightly different reason.

• Members

So, Graham is Brent Davis' stepson, eh?  Well, I say, if there is "heat" between him and ED, then come as close as you can to the line between the two, and THEN lower the boom: Graham learns Brent Davis is really his biological dad.  CLASSIC Bill Bell move, IMO.

• Members

It was very flat. Graham spoke about revenge on Dina. I haven't being paying that close of attention but what is the revenge? Taking her money? Outing her as an adulteress? Telling the world Ashley is Dina's affair baby? I can't pin point it. 

That would be classic. But how close are we talking? 

• Members

It was flat as a pancake. There were no big secrets revealed. Graham being a step.....boring...who cares....he already had her money. His revenge made no sense since he was the one that wanted to leave GC from the beginning. This story dragged with no real direction and ended with no payoff.

Don't get me started on Victor vs Nick. They need to send Nick and Chelsea out of town. Gawd the actress sucks. And Nick is just useless. He is laughable.

• Members

The big secret was Brent Davis is Ashley's father. Only a hand full of people knew that. But, what are the consequences to it coming out?  There are no stakes. What does anyone lose? Nothing that I see.  I figure the story is Abbots fighting...guess who? Yep, you guessed it. Villain Hilary. It's now their turn. 

Graham's little speech just ruined him. Dina can change her will tomorrow. 

I think the story has changed multiple times. It seemed to start as one thing but morphed into something else. 

• Members

Pretty much what has been said. I’m predicting Jack will ask Hilary not to broadcast what has been captured, she says ‘no, you said I could film everything, and it’s ratings gold’ and BAM! Nikki will be  proved ‘right’ about Hilary again and Jack and Hilary’s friendship turns into a rivalry.

Archived