Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

With both John Abbott and Brent Davis dead, there's no payoff for any public paternity reveal other than momentary public humiliation for Ashley and possibly Dina. 

Maybe they'll tease it but not actually carry it through since Graham has already begun to show signs that he is wavering in using Ashley to get revenge on Dina-he expressed sympathy for Ashley on the phone with his mother/aunt.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ON LAST TUESDAY...

I hope they take Abby in a different direction once Zach is exposed.  Maybe toward Scott...ik, ik...

Still loving Alice/Sharon.

HAHAH at Jack figuring out that Graham is behind the pictures even if Dina denies it.

Liking the new turn in the Nick v Victor fight so far.

Overall, this is a good episode so far.

• Members

A 'shocking revelation' at an awards ceremony - very 80s/90s. Even better, the 'reveal' has been know to the audience for 30 years!!! I still don't get the point here or the Graham tease, which doesn't make sense in any timeline. Like Dina had a 10+ year affair with Brent? That makes zero sense knowing Dina. 

• Members

The difference between then and now though is impact. In the 80s and 90s, the impact would often be felt for years, because the setup and the story construction was sharper, tighter and a helluva lot more detailed.

Today's soaps "shocking" revelations...usually last barely a few months, if we're 'lucky'. 

Maybe by some small miracle, I will be wrong but I don't put much stock in this storyline playing out the way those classic storylines of the 80s/90s played out.

Again, without Brent Davis or John Abbott to absorb the fallout, I don't see the impact going beyond a tight-knit circle of folks. It matters little that The Hilary Hour will be there to broadcast live or whatever. 

The Newman "Punch Heard Around the World" didn't really have much impact other than for Nick, Victor, Nikki and maybe Noah (with the Underground expansion). Others like Victoria and Abby barely registered what happened and others in GC took it in, shrugged their shoulders and kept it moving.

Nobody cares about that punch except for Nick and Victor, who have also moved onto other dubious (and ridiculous) deeds.

In a few months, Ashley's paternity will register less than Billy having slept with Phyllis while she was still married to Jack.

It would be more interesting if there were some twist in the story, that we don't see, like Graham's mother crashing Ashley's party and getting in an altercation with Dina, leading to her going into cardiac arrest  while trying to divulge 'the secret' or if Graham has a change of heart tries to stop his mother, they struggle, which causes her to have a seizure, right in the middle of the party with cameras rolling.

It can't just be about this "secret" being revealed, it won't have the impact that writers hope/believe it will have, especially long-term.

Archived