Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I just LOL at this...in public...and I'm soo...

Please register in order to view this content

Someone has been uploading a lot of old New York stuff...and I've been loving it since I was still too young at the time.  Loving her craziness.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am so with you regarding Sally’s Y&R. The pacing and tone felt right to me, and I loved it. I’d rather go down with the real Y&R than see this stuff Mal is throwing at us. 

Now we’re back to Pratt-like writing, with out-of-character garbage taking place so plot can rule. It’s pathetic.

Just look at Scott’s dialogue with Zach today. It made him look STUPID to say ANYTHING to Zach at all, let alone give himself away — only to 5 seconds later call himself out on making a big mistake. UGH.

This is GAG ME stuff.

All great questions, but Jonnysboro knows NOTHING. He has no answers to ANY of those questions.

He’s lying about the ratings, too. Mal’s work just started last Wednesday. There are NO RATINGS for his stuff yet. 

• Members

I will answer these questions. Sally was fired and Kay was as well so case in point. Mal Young is beloved by the cast by the tweets i see. Gina Tognoni is her emmy speech said we value u so much, Melody adores him, Eileen in interview has raved. The cast is much happier they are happy someone has a vision and long term plan.  Also its very common new head writers at the end tweak the past head writers stuff. Ron tweaked quite a bit of Denas stuff.

• Members

No Sally and Kay were fired not retired. Jean P retired big difference. They still had like 2 more months left on their contract. They were immediately gone. Jean on other hand gave them notice and stayed until the end. Eileen interview is with michael fairman and melodys as well. The crazy thing everyone complains oh we have the same head writers always and finally CBS hires from outside as Mal is new blood and people want tired Sally who btw had one day at 3.8 million on one of her episodes.

• Members

I don't think Sally's Y&R stint was a failure by any means. She had the herculean job of returning Y&R to some semblance of Bill Bell's vision, which I believe she did. It probably took longer than she expected, and audiences are impatient these days. Also, her tenure began so quickly that she didn't have much time to plan long term (according to an interview with her, she was just coming off her brother's death when the Y&R offer was made, and she pretty much started overnight). Were their missteps? Yes. But Y&R was at least recognizable, unlike the ridiculous, adolescent nonsense that Chuck Pratt and JFP handed viewers. As for Jean and Shelly "rocking" anything as co-head writers, please. Don't insult our intelligence. Both are modestly talented BREAKDOWN writers; their overall tenures as head writers have been uninspired IMO. Finally, maybe MY's vision for Y&R is spot-on. It will take several months to tell. But here's an idea: instead of making up crap about him by pretending you're an insider who's "in the know," why don't you and Jonny cut the BS in your posts, and stop alienating everyone with your nonsense. It's great that you're excited about the show again, so enjoy it without all the hyperbole. (Also, absolutely NO ONE ON THIS BOARD BELIEVES YOU ARE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE SO DROP THE CHARADE. It's highly insulting to thinking posters here.) 

He'll quickly realize that kind of momentum can't be sustained, which is why successful soap writers find all the possible beats to play in fleshing out the plot. Viewers need to care about the characters that things are happening to. If the emotional beats aren't played, the show is just one plot point after another. 

• Members

She has not. This is a outright lie. In her live chat she raved about William J. Bell's writing and how great it was back then. She was comparing it to the present. All she said about Mal's writing was there was more Dina story coming up. She didn't praise Mal at all.

• Members

How is Mal Young to work with as your new executive producer?

EILEEN:  I love Mal.  He’s terrific!  I got along well with Jill Farren Phelps (Ex-Y&R, executive producer) and I get along well with Chuck Pratt Jr. (EP and head writer, Y&R), too.  So, I don’t have any issues there.  But right now a story for Ashley isn’t quite happening, so I have been concentrating on other thing.

From michael fairman interview august 2016.

Read it and weep.

Archived