Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jack was venting about the Dina drama to Paul. In the conversation, Jack mentioned that surely Paul can understand that a child would do anything for a parent. What if it was Mary God rest her soul or something to that effect. That if Mary had been kidnapped that relationship with Paul aside, Paul would be moving heaven and earth to find her.

I think it had been mentioned here that the last time Mary had been mentioned on screen that she had moved away so I was taken aback when I heard it.

ETA: SSM sure is getting her chance to have women tell their men off on Tuesday.

Nieither  Phylis nor Lily were lying though.

• Members

You might be right. I'm not sure as well. I was referencing the last time I was either a viewer myself or just reading others' comments when I was not a regular viewer.

Please register in order to view this content

ETA: BTW, liking MY first episode as well. lol.

Lily v Hilary is always fun.  And Loved the Ashley/Jack scene.

• Members

Uh...no.  Plan or no plan, Sally gets the tone, flow, and pacing of Y&R- all of that was spot on.  I don't think she was pimping Victoria/Billy- merely trying to set up an even-handed triangle, which I thought she was doing quite well.  Steve Burton's Dylan didn't finally click until his exit storyline- which SALLY wrote.

Let's be clear- NOBODY would be able to bring back the Bell era.  No one.   What she did bring back was quintessential Y&R and for my money, it was fabulous.  Every day I tuned in, the show felt like Y&R again, which it hasn't in some time.

Jonnysbro- you have a completely different expectation of Y&R than I do, so you can give Mal Young 6 years for all I care.  I know the Y&R that I adore and Mal Young isn't going to give it to me, point blank period.

I knew from the first episode the show had drastically changed.  I didn't find it to be even average, let alone good.

• Members

Well junior YR just hit its highest ratings last week in over a year. If the ratings go up then Mal is a success. Sally though didnt bring me Bill YR. Only episode i liked she did was the abbot breakfast but she didnt have stories that captivated u. Bill knew how to write great stories. Honestly i thought Sally was much better in 90s days stint then she was at YR. Her head didnt seem much in it. She only gave 2 interviews. Also she was away from daytime for 10 years and i think that hurt her. So much has changed in this world. Its bigger budget cuts and u have to write and shoot faster. Even her exit interview she was fine with leaving. She even said herself her documentsry career is what was number 1. 

• Members

1.  I don't care about ratings

2.  The episode you're talking about was an Abbott dinner, not breakfast.

3.  Call me when they hit an 8.8, like when the show was actually good.

4.  For the umpteenth time, I'm looking for quality, not ratings stunts.   Please stick to the thrill rides you're used to.

• Members

THIS.

But given someone is about one day ratings...

Please register in order to view this content

Made it to FRIDAY and the shift in tone has now become obvious. And like @UK LAW mentioned it does feel UK soap from what little I've seen with all over the place ness. And Thursday's episode had me SMH. I will give Wednesday episode my favorite of MY episodes so far on the strength of the Jack/Ashley scenes which still felt like old school Y&R to me.

But while there are some interesting things I can tell it is going to be a chord again to watch which it wasn't for the last 8 months. Makes me sad.

• Members

So done with MY's first week episodes.

I know I've been complaining, but that was just too fast. I mean the cliffhanger (which is was and I guess we can see MY might bring those back)...AT LAST!!!! Someone realizes that Zach is behind the sex ring...right as he is having sex with Abby. That could have had more of a build. In fact, it should have been building up after Alice vanished. But BAM!!! Scott puts together that by researching Natalia and finding her pic on the very dating app Zach and Abby have been working on. Nice to see a turn but too abrupt.

WHAT I LIKED SO FAR

I can't say enough about that Jack/Ash scene last wed.

Bitca Lauren being back.

Humor. it's very cheeky, but I like it. So is it going to be a running joke of women slapping Billy?

So movement in that Vicki illness story.

Seeing Sharon/Mariah scenes again.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE

Missing beats. So far,  it is not bad, but you can tell things are happening offscreen...nicely covered for now, but it will not work long term.

Cane's quick turnaround. And STILL being smug.

Lily. Glad to see her free, but I don't want her aimed at Nick.

Dina. There has to be a better way to reveal her secret to Jack and Ash without the silliness of Martini Time.

Overall: Wait and see for me. Main stories was Dina (and some of that was mostly offscreen aka bad form) and Scott/sexring which is mildly interesting and Vicki/B&S...which could get interesting again if it turns into a mystery over the face mask.

B plot would be setting up a Lauren/Sharon rivalry...which I assume is going to dial into a Scott/Abby thing thus him finding out about Zach being the leader.

C plot would be that Newman regroup at the hospital.  

• Members

Jonny, if I may ask, how do you know? 

You are always saying this producer likes this actor,this cast loves this HW. This network loves this writer.

The material coming is going to be great.

Are you an insider? Do you work for a soap? Are you related to someone?

What are you sources? Give us links to your information?

Have you spoken personally with Mal? With someone at SONY or CBS?

If it is just your opinion and you don't really know,why not label it as such?

• Members

It isnt a secret that Amjelica MCdaniels loves Mal and so does the cast. Sally never appeared publicily with the cast. She was never in there insta pics and she was also exec prod and her hubby Tonya is also a producer and i see him in cast social media pix

Archived