Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Judging by everything I've seen so far, the previews for next week and Mal's interview, he will either be Chuckie Pratt 2.0 or worse than that, if that is possible.

Poor Y&R.

They should just cancel the show, IMO. It's just so sad, depressing and pathetic seeing it disintegrated into pieces year after year.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it safe to say that MY had very little to do with what we've been seeing the last few months? The pace and style has changed so drastically, it's hard for me to believe that he could have been involved before. I read on this board somewhere that SSM said that her storylines were not interfered with, and now I think I believe her. 

• Members

He's actually going to be LML 2.0.  Which was and is worse than that, so it is possible.

As far as the writing goes, it's EXTREMELY safe to say that.  He may have tweaked some things but his vision is DRASTICALLY different from what we'd been getting from SSM and Kay Alden.

I still can't believe that we'd finally gotten Kay Alden back in some capacity after all these years and they already so foolishly fired her.  

As for Mal Young, normally I'd give it time to decide whether I like it or not but having been with Y&R on its ups and downs of the past 2 decades, I can already see this is going to be another low point.  Y&R was my comfort food when Santa Barbara went off the air- the writing was so intelligent and the confrontations between characters were always so intense without being over the top.  The melodramatic music gave it that gothic feel when certain scenes and stories were being played.  I was spoiled for so long, so much so that I (and many others) passionately complained about Jack Smith's run, which now makes me giggle an uncomfortable giggle.  It was written like a novel you never wanted to end.   And loose ends were often left untied, just like in life.   Michael Logan once referred to it as the champagne of soaps, which was spot on.  

It felt like we were getting that back during the first 6 months of MAB and now especially with SSM and Kay Alden.  

It is painful watching it turn into White Zinfandel each time one of these morons that doesn't "get" Y&R takes over.

• Members

I agree with juniorz, except I do blame Mal for the state of the show during Sally's reign. Yeah Sally was the head writer, but we don't know what Mal pushed, who he favors (clearly Victoria, Phyllis and Billy and moustache twirling Victor) so I blame Mal as well. I don't have much hope for his run as head writer. Sure things may seem more exciting because of stunts and women slapping each other or characters likely yelling or doing things like set fire to godawful ugly clubs but is that really beneficial to this kind of show? Nope. It sure isn't.

• Members

TB is the go-to when 'resetting' the show. Sadly, she'll be invisible by Thanksgiving. If only SSM realized she had gold with the Fenmore's problems and could've made it both topical and engaging. C'mon everyone in GC has a connection to Lauren Fenmore! Shoot Nikki could've been brought into that world as an investor, etc.  It would've been interesting to watch Lauren figure out ways to keep her business afloat through her business savvy, etc. Instead, it was about The Worm in the steamroom, shrieking hysterically over Scott's kidnapping  and handing it all over to Jack. 

Put Christine/Michael (or Leslie!) as partners, make Paul a detective again, have Jill help Lauren 'reclaim' Fenmores from Jabot, shift TWG and Devon into CI, which is part of his legacy, etc.

• Members

+1

The Lauren/Sharon fight was rather lame though. It makes no sense for Lauren to be upset with Sharon. And Lauren hasn't be Lauren in years so her being her 80's vixen is long gone. Hell, it was gone even when Sheila was on the canvas. I felt by then Lauren was already very watered down and Bell was writing her. She didn't have that edge anymore.

How about bring in a grown up son of Andy's? And have him see Paul and ask him to help run his detective agency? Have a couple of episodes where Steven Ford returns as Andy. Too bad Paul didn't have a son worth much. One was a killer and the other one a wimp....LOL

• Members

Wait so we blame Mal for his head writer coming to YR with nothing or no game plan and writing as went along. She dropped billy and phyllis to pimp Victoria and Billy. I am willing to give Mal 6 months to.jumpstart show. Its clear the cast adores Mal. Mal worked better with Pratt to be honest. The billy and phyllis fallout was fabulous and the stuff with Steve Burton awesome. Sally hadnt written in daytime for a decade and she didnt realuze things had changed. Sally didnt bring us the Bell era back. Alot of Sallys crap just went nowhere. It was clear her heart wasnt into it. She needed a Shelly Altman to help her steer the ship or co head write with her.

• Members

+ 1 EXACTLY. As a EP, his hands from interviews I have read (and what little SSM did) show his prints all over things.

In that case, it's time for me to watch these last SSM episodes and MY's first...lord help me...

Oh, hush, Lint.

Archived