kalbir

Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

IDK, part of me thinks CBS and SONY feel entitled to futz around so much with Y&R because they know they have the number-one show with a core audience that isn't going anywhere.  If another soap -- like, say, B&B -- were to suddenly claim the number-one spot, would they be as willing to innovate and experiment? 

I'm only watching Y&R very sporadically but to temper the concern somewhat...

If MY is essentially saying he wants to replicate the UK/Aus approach through "one ep=one day", there are plenty of times when they don't follow this rule. Particularly around big cliffhangers, weddings etc where the day may be stretched over 2-3 episodes. I would hope that the same common sense would be used for Y&R so that it's not completely arbitrary.

Edited by JamesF

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

I'm only watching Y&R very sporadically but to temper the concern somewhat...

If MY is essentially saying he wants to replicate the UK/Aus approach through "one ep=one day", there are plenty of times when they don't follow this rule. Particularly around big cliffhangers, weddings etc where the day may be stretched over 2-3 episodes. I would hope that the same common sense would be used for Y&R so that it's not completely arbitrary.

Maybe James is right and I'm overreacting. Maybe Mal will exercise this rule within reason.

Still I kind of enjoy the idea of a day being subject to the writers whims, and can extend over days or contract within a single episode... It's nice to be reminded of soaps' inconsequential, fictional slights of hand sometimes.

5 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

The lack of Y&R's classic background music is still so weird.

It’s painful. As has been said in the past, it was a character all in itself and enhanced scenes no end. Though it could also probably be argued that the way scenes are produced and even the pacing of the last few years doesn’t lend itself to the classical scores. 

I don't personally subscribe to it myself.

Such contrived angst to keep Tessa and Mariah apart. Neither relationship with the guys have any depth because the show didn't build it up. I don't think either (Noah nor Devon) are all that invested In Tessa or Mariah. Story starting not to  make sense. 

5 hours ago, ajsp35801 said:

Such contrived angst to keep Tessa and Mariah apart. Neither relationship with the guys have any depth because the show didn't build it up. I don't think either (Noah nor Devon) are all that invested In Tessa or Mariah. Story starting not to  make sense. 

Mariah’s relationship with Tessa has devolved into lingering sad looks and conversations that go nowhere. I’m tired of their dancing around the elephant in the room and I still dislike CF enough to want their relationship to never happen.

Meanwhile, Devon gets dialogue (“I can’t see living with Mariah any time soon”) that lessens the stakes on that end anyway— and protects him from being an object of pity.