Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IDK, part of me thinks CBS and SONY feel entitled to futz around so much with Y&R because they know they have the number-one show with a core audience that isn't going anywhere.  If another soap -- like, say, B&B -- were to suddenly claim the number-one spot, would they be as willing to innovate and experiment? 

• Members

I'm only watching Y&R very sporadically but to temper the concern somewhat...

If MY is essentially saying he wants to replicate the UK/Aus approach through "one ep=one day", there are plenty of times when they don't follow this rule. Particularly around big cliffhangers, weddings etc where the day may be stretched over 2-3 episodes. I would hope that the same common sense would be used for Y&R so that it's not completely arbitrary.

• Members

Maybe James is right and I'm overreacting. Maybe Mal will exercise this rule within reason.

Still I kind of enjoy the idea of a day being subject to the writers whims, and can extend over days or contract within a single episode... It's nice to be reminded of soaps' inconsequential, fictional slights of hand sometimes.

• Members

It’s painful. As has been said in the past, it was a character all in itself and enhanced scenes no end. Though it could also probably be argued that the way scenes are produced and even the pacing of the last few years doesn’t lend itself to the classical scores. 

I don't personally subscribe to it myself.

• Members

Such contrived angst to keep Tessa and Mariah apart. Neither relationship with the guys have any depth because the show didn't build it up. I don't think either (Noah nor Devon) are all that invested In Tessa or Mariah. Story starting not to  make sense. 

• Members

Mariah’s relationship with Tessa has devolved into lingering sad looks and conversations that go nowhere. I’m tired of their dancing around the elephant in the room and I still dislike CF enough to want their relationship to never happen.

Meanwhile, Devon gets dialogue (“I can’t see living with Mariah any time soon”) that lessens the stakes on that end anyway— and protects him from being an object of pity.

• Members

Exactly. Thats my point. 

The show made a huge deal about Devon not loving her. And also, as you point out, he gets dialogue and just enough scenes with Hilary to let us know that his relationship with Mariah is light on his part. Just something to do. Going nowhere and means nothing.  

Noah and Tessa aren't much better. They have a little more depth than Devon and Mariah since he does know about all that stuff that happened with Crystal. She did confide in him, where as mariah told Devon nothing. 

There is no reason why Mariah should stay with Devon instead of breaking it off and pursuing dating other women. From her conversation with Kevin, I took it that this was her first time ever being sexually attracted to a woman. I'd think she'd want to know if it's just this one particular woman or if she might just prefer women in general. Instead they've got her playing the long suffering martyr staying with a man who seemingly doesn't even care for her and she doesn't want. Nonsensical. 

Also, the only thing that should be standing in their way is Noah. Mariah should he concerned about how he'd take her taking his girlfriend. Yet, Mariah doesn't seem to care how this will hurt Noah or how it'll effect their relationship. The show is playing the wrong beats here. 

I also was rubbed wrong with how Mariah now treats Tessa. It's almost bullying. Since Mariah chose Noah, without knowing their was another choice at the time, Mariah basically took her friendship away and becamee rude to her. I'm not sure what the show was going for. 

Also agree that their longing looks, clinging desperation looking hugs, and hair rubbing is old already. Sh!t or get off the pot. And please don't make either woman pregnant to prolong this union. 

• Members

I don't think they're backing off. What I saw Friday was typical romantic soap angst designed to keep the couple apart as they pine and make calf eyes until they give in to their desires. 

Paraphrase.

Tessa: "Timing is wrong. We can't hurt the boys." Long stare

Mariah: "Only thing keeping me sane is sparing them pain". Calf eyes

Tessa: "Be happy with Devon" desperate hug with hair rub

Mariah: "I'll try." Sour face. 

I don't get why Mariah is "trying" to be happy with Devon when she doesn't want him and she KNOWS he doesn't love her and prefers Hilary. Tessa, I get. She does want Noah. But she's also attracted/loves Mariah. 

I figure they'll try to stay apart but won't be able to. 

• Members

Lawd. That sounds awful LOL

And to be fair, Mariah/Devon never worked and they shouldn't have been paired romantically at all and the writing shows it.

Wouldn't shock me at all if Devon isn't angry and even ships Tessa/Mariah. LOL. I'm being snarky but it really wouldn't shock me. Noah has more potential to be angry, but I don't know that I trust them to really handle this well.

• Members

I think Y&R is playing both ends against the middle.

CBS/Sony/Y&R want to appeal to a young demo by appearing to be hip and progressive when the network is anything but.  I've said this before and I'll say it again, CBS is the most conservative of the networks. Y&R is the most conservative of the soaps, its fans tend to be the most conservative.

Even yesterday, I was watching a Promo on Y&R's twitter feed and in the subtweets you still see some fans complaining that they don't want to see Mariah and Tessa- one twit said that it would make them sick. 

Please register in order to view this content

It does seem that Y&R has been cooling down with that pairing, making it appear as one or both characters will back away from each other.  I saw the scene with Tessa mentions "timing"-- with the implicit indication that poor timing is the reason why she and Mariah didn't get together. .

Very vague, don't you think?

Unfortunately, there appear to be many factors as to why Y&R cannot pull this story off. One is definitely writing. The other is that TC is not a strong enough actor to pull her role off, so the other actors around her have to prop her character up. 

Even though Y&R is clearly skittish about writing a LGBTQ storyline, I think they know the perils of making it look as if they are making a gay character look bad. Having Mariah and Tessa look as if they "hurt" Noah or Devon would be too big a risk for them, even though straight people hurt each other all the time (see Phyllis, Billy and Jack). 

There's just a weird, middle of the road dynamic at play in how this story is unfolding.

• Members

Well said. A lot of what you said is what I was thinking. That they're starting to play it safe and that they want to appear hip and cool but also appeal to their conservative audience. Reminds me of Higley writing DAYS and all she had Paul/Sonny do was hug, rub their backs and you'd probably never know they were in a relationship. Ron comes onboard and they've kissed far more than they ever did under Higley, we had the 'threesome' with Sonny's dream of Will and then Paul in the same bed ...

• Members

It would have been better if these stakes weren't contrived. But it's just eye roll worthy considering the lack of development for Mariah/Devon and Noah/Tessa. 

Of course, Devon won't be angry.  He and Mariah will remain best pals after it all is said and done. I don't think Noah will be angry either. Everyone will be understanding and embrace them,  except possibly, Hilary.  But even she's getting better writing so who knows. 

Agree. Very middle of the road. Cait is a poor actress. But her scenes with CG is the most natural she ever looks on-screen. 

I suppose the appearance of hurting Noah and Devon plus being scared to give fans a real alternative choice to the pairing the show wants, is the reason why the relationships with their boyfriends are underdeveloped. 

Archived