Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think when kay Alden headwrote, she was able tonquicken the pace yet still cover all the beats.  The only show I recall in primetime that did the one episode covered a day was Twin Peaks...but a primetime soap could get away with that...not sure if a daytime soap could get away with that.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's fair. Soaps certainly have evolved from the 1980s and DM's heyday.

I do think they're a useful guideline though and some aspects remain relevant, especially when it comes to family and character history. It's no coincidence that one of Y&R's strongest storylines right now is the Abbotts and centering around a matriarch. 

The whole aspect of social media has changed things. I'm curious how the TBTP connect with the fans and what they enjoy. How do they weed out those stans? I believe there had been some surveys sent out earlier this year; I'm curious about the other methodology out there. Where do they go to listen?

• Members

Also, Y & R wasn't about a close knit community in its day.  There were characters that hardly ever interacted on the show, so DM's main element to his writing was the everyone knowing everyone else's business wouldn't work on Y & R.

However, some of his rules could work nowadays, but I do agree that the 6 month rule doesn't work in this day and age.  I think writing characters out that don't work, or have outlived their stay, is sometimes the way to go (i.e. Kevin has outstayed his welcome)

• Members

Doug Marland has been long dead. They tried recapturing the old YR with Sally and Kay it was awful. We always complain they rehire the same EPs and HWers. MY is first outsider they took a chance on. He has exec produced and head written other soaps. Give him the chance to explore his vision. Anything is better then Sallys crud.

• Members

From the person who screams praise for Pissy and Shelly.  "We always complain they rehire the same EPs and HWers."   Really?  Jean and Shelly have been and WERE  more recycled than a common water bottle.  Y&R honestly to me - never had great actors.  They had kind of - cardboard characters, but not great actors.  I will never miss Nikki when she's gone.  Victor - won't miss him.  It's not writing, it was acting.  Those are veterans.  Jerry Douglas was great.  Their dumbest mistake right now is not striking lightening in a bottle that is Beth Maitland.  I tuned in a couple of times this week and she's so great.  Just my opinion but the humanity and down-to-earth she brings to the show?  There's nothing on Y&R like it right now.   I'm deadly tired of Hilary and the black-catness.  They give her NO humanity and no soul.  I think she's a good actress.  This show is squandering stuff left and right.  I know a Doug Marland show - World Turns had 75 people in the cast at one point in the 80's - and there were characters that had the same FIRST NAME.  But you felt like YOU KNEW THEM.  Marland might be dead but that's great for the current writers out there because they will never hold his shoes. 

• Members

Not referring to fan mail but 'snail mail' is still surprisingly effective. I've written letters to CEOs  and to my State Senator. Both responded. One of them was the CEO of AT&T who addressed my complaint.

I disagree that 'Snail Mail' is passé.  In fact, the irony is that so many use e-mail and social media that very few people expect a well written/typed letter.  I've gotten through on social media as well, but I've been very surprised that every single time I've written a letter, I've always gotten a response.

• Members

Re: that letter to the CEO at AT&T. My friend worked executive escalation for HP. Her job was to read all the complaints sent to the CEO and categorize/assist with resolution. You'd have gotten the exact same response had you sent an email. I've sent emails to CEOs as well because I knew her job. Always got a response and prompt resolution. I recently emailed my senator from the great state of Alabama and got a formal response on letter head back as well. My point here is that an email is just as effective. It also allows you to showcase your brilliant writing skills. 

• Members

I got phone calls, not letterhead, from both. I've assisted executives so I know which keywords to use. 

I've done both but even then, I usually attach the actual letter to the body of the e-mail.  I do think getting a letter disarms them somehow. At least that's what I believe but I actually like writing letters. (*shrugs*) 

• Members

And soaps don't have a year to make new characters likable. Soaps are on 5 days a week most weeks of the year. Viewers decide pretty quickly if they like a new character or not. Writers don't need to shove them down people's throats but can't build at a snail's pace either. It should not take a year for the audience to like a new character on a show that's on daily.

• Members

Possibly, since it's something they don't see much of nowadays. Lol

I guess I'm not understanding what you mean by "writing letters"? What's in it that can't go in an email? You can format the body of an email like a letter. No? I feel like I'm missing something here. 

• Members

Even attaching a letter to an e-mail is not the same. I think the effort taken in sending the actual letter is at a different level than e-mail.

In fact, many production companies, particularly theater, will only accept scripts sent through 'snail mail'. It's the way they screen people out. Their thinking is likely to be that, if someone cannot take the time to mail in a script, they are not going to be committed to the process.

Personally, it would be a lot cheaper if they'd allow e-mail submissions but most of them (the ones that pay a decent remuneration) require that you mail in your submission.  The ones that pay little to nothing, often allow you to e-mail your script.

I think they think that if you send it in the mail, you mean business, since most people send through more convenient means. It's like a test to get past the gatekeepers. LOL.

Archived