Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree. But yeah we shall see lol. IMO too the last thing they need is to spend more on wardrobe.  That money to put new clothes on people EVERY DAY could and should go elsewhere. Wonder if the 'one day per episode' is also in order to use the same sets over and over and over again (which they're close to doing now like the other soaps)

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I've tuned in I kind of guess I've forgotten.  I thought half the world knew Ashley wasn't John's daughter...so the angst and pain on her part - I'm really not understanding.  I thought she dealt with it years ago.  I had no idea Tracy never knew.  But at this point with John gone, she was raised as an Abbott and he was really her Father, even if not by Biology...why doesn't she just say - 'yeah, so what?'  I guess I could see Abby being a little upset, but the Ashley portion - eh, so what. 

• Members

Exactly.  Unless John had specified in his last will and testament that Jabot was to be run by his biological offspring only (which he wouldn't have done, since he'd always assumed his kids were actually his), then what is the point?

• Members

Question: So John didn't know that Ashley was his daughter at the time he died? I keep thinking there may have been a scene leading up to his exit where it was implied he always suspected that Ashley wasn't his but he always loved her as if she was his flesh and blood. Idk, if not that'd be a nice twist after all these years. 

• Members

One episode equals one day? And the increase in pace that would entail. 

Didn’t Lynn Marie Latham try something similar when she was Head Writer and Executive Producer?

Without seeing the whole interview, I can’t assess the whole picture but I wouldn’t be surprised if Y&R starts to resemble a more ‘glammed up’ British soap, in terms of pacing and whatnot, because Mal Young may have been in the US for nearly 15 years now but he got his writing and production education in the UK where 22-27 minute soaps could represent a day. 

So, for example, expansive scenes that are played out over several acts or conversations split between scenes will be few and far between, I would guess.

And I remember a source of frustration a few years ago amongst people over characters appearing in 3-4 locations in one episode. Under this one episode, one day shift, depending on how many characters feature in an episode, that may become the norm.

Again, I’d have to see the full interview to make a more informed assessment/prediction.

• Members

Hopefully someone can post a link or a scan because, I'm intrigued enough to want to read the interview now.

I'm wondering what finally lead to an increase in the budget?

Did MY finally see that some things simply won't pan out on the cheap, like all those weird non-speaking extras masquerading as Jabot, Newman and Brash and Sassy clients and that one lab technician at BandS? 

I hope that a bigger budget is not just for wardrobe when many of the sets are MIA.

Maybe JW might want to spend some time if she had an actual Chancellor Industries set to come to, not to mention that we don't know where half the characters on this show sleep at night.

This could be especially engrossing with umbrella storylines (e.g. murder mysteries) where you had multiple characters involved and you want to see what each character 'got up to' during the night in question.

It was always fun to watch the climax of a story unfold from multiple perspectives.

I guess MY feels like it would help pacing be brisk but I'd have to see for myself.  With good writing, this had rarely been an issue in the past.

Archived