Y&R: October 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

The show is not that bad. Your criticism is really over-the-top ridiculous.

You’re entitled to your opinion, of course, but I find it ironic that you think the Graham story is comical bad, yet you’re now slobbering over everything on DAYS — which still has a ways to go.

Chandler Massey makes two appearances in a flannel shirt and you act like Jesus showed up and saved all of Salem.

I’m glad to hear others are finding good things to say about Y&R. I complain about it, but for me it’s still the best of the 4 soaps.

And yeah, Eileen Davidson has been incredible. She and Marla Adams have been on fire.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

@ranger1rg My mom persuaded my to watch Friday (US) on POP and it was far better than I expected.

I'll admit I'm a MA fan and she just kicks butt.

MM scenes - though short were effective- the Jack 'we're friends' and 'I've got eyes' to Cassiah were perfect. Sometimes less is more. 

Neil's toast to Ash was a good example of how SSM's reform of Neil (and Sharon) were the best things she did. 

The only thing that was a bit bizarre was not having deeper scenes with Traci and Abby - their worlds are rocked even more so than Ash who's been living with this for 30+ years. But I suppose they're holding that for future fallout. 

• Members

Sussman has done nothing to damage the show. This is the perfect person to take over from because she didn't really retcon anything or leave a bunch of dead bodies in her wake. Whoever takes over, in this case Mal, can literally pick up and take the show whenever they want to. When she came in the show was in such bad we see how difficult it was to even stabilize it, which in the end she couldn't even do. 

Now focusing on this week week I really enjoyed it. I love Eileen Davidson and I've loved this story from day one. I will say one thing that completely threw me was Billy not being related to Ashley. I don't know why, but that didn't register with me at all. I'm glad they remembered that beat even if I did not. It's sad Jill isn't around for this but I know that isn't their fault. I also wish they hadn't slowed down on Abby's resentment because now not only is she the black sheep of the Newman family but she isn't a real Abbott. This could give her a good story if they follow up on it. 

We all know everything is about to change in a couple weeks so I won't dwell too much on story details, but I will say Marla Adams is a national treasure and I hope she wins an Emmy for this. After Jeanne Cooper died I felt daytime would never be able to recapture what she brought. She was a lead actress until her death and fans of all ages LOVED her. I feel like Marla has done the same and proved it doesn't matter how old you are if you're talented. She's been so valuable to the show and if that's the only thing you take from Sussman's run then I'm thankful it happened. 

• Members

No you are not. I'm loving this s/l with Ashley and how now they come to realize who and how evil Graham is. Trust me I put on B&B to see how their show was and I cannot believe the campy cheesy stories and I know some love that but I couldn't bring myself to keep watching.

The Young and the Restless is by far a better show. They  may need to keep remembering the history of the show so we don't have loose ends but I hope that will get fixed. This soap is better than any other soap out there in my opinion of course.

Agreed. I remember some also wanted to recast Mrs. C when she died and I was like that cannot be done. It's one thing if it was year ago when the show was 1st airing but after all these years? NO, she died and they wrote it into the show. Jeanne Cooper was not replaceable.

• Members

DAYS is much better than Y&R at the moment. But you seem to have some agenda against the show.

And if you like the show TALK ABOUT IT (that goes for others who like the show, what's stopping you?). Who cares if some of us aren't happy with it? You, me, all of us, we're all entitled to our opinions. You could also learn a little bit on how to talk to other posters who don't share your opinion.

• Members

Exactly, Sussman didn't take a hatchet to the show, despite the handwringing over her and how awful she is. You'd think she had damaged the show beyond repair with how some react to her.

Marla Adams is amazing and I will be forever grateful to Sussman for writing her back in.

And people seem to like to give MY a pass (not necessarily *everyone* here, and I see it elsewhere) but he's still the EP. This mess is still just as much his as it is Sussman. I'll give his writing a chance of course but I'm not sure what to expect. It's hard to know who's running things because there are many cooks in the kitchen. Is it Sally, Mal, CBS, or Sony who wants Boretoria on 24/7, who wants "Villy", etc.

And @ajsp35801 I've noticed the improved writing for Hilary as well, I FFwd a bit more than I used to but I try and watch her scenes. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

• Members

If anything Sussman repaired some of the damage left by Pratt.  I often wonder if Sussman had been hired to replace altman/passante...if she could have done better?  Those two had left the show in a bland, yet functional state when they had departed..plus Sussman might have written a bible.

That said, her last few weeks have been decent and I hope Mal doesn't resort to plot driven material.

Archived