What were the first classic soap clips you saw on YouTube?

• Members

I guess it's obvious that YT for the most part has been a godsend when it comes to finding classic soap clips/episodes online, but over the past decade it's been around, what were some of the first classic soap clips you remember seeing? 
for me I think it was Sally falling into the Pool on B&B , and I think the first Y&R clip I ever saw on YT was Kay and Jill's attic fight.....There were probably loads more I don't remember, but I think this is a good way to also see and maybe remember clips and old uploaders that unfortunately aren't around anymore. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There were a few channels I followed in the early days of YT: one had 1980s-2000s CBS shows, another was Susan Flannery B&B scenes and that channel got up to the first four years I think before it was shut down, also a channel with Italian clips (dubbed plus the background music was different) of the original Ridge/Caroline story.

In the early days of YT I was able to find a good amount of 1980s Y&R and the first five years of B&B, but no so much anymore. I've been able to find a good chunk of 1989-1992 Guiding Light, and rewatching that has been amazing. Oddly enough, I haven't been drawn to rewatch 1985-1993 As the World Turns.

• Members

Yeah I remember the SF B&B one! LorieB I think was the user, or name of the person who had those clips! Her channel was closed a few years ago, but she still had her website with the video clips, but that seems to be gone now too! :/

I'm still kind of kicking myself about not viewing enough of the German dubbed 86-87 Y&R episodes.....as well as any of the original videos from Tombinorway, yrbbfanatic etc....

• Members

Sheila getting impaled on the firepoker during a scuffle with Maggie. I knew of Sheila from her 2002-2003/2005 stints on B&B and Y&R, but never went that far back into the show's history up until that point. It also turned out her shooting of Stephanie is my earliest soap memory, I just for some reason had it in my head that Morgan did it.

• Members

I had seen lots of classic material on WoST, at Paley, and through personal tape trade, so I'm finding it hard to pinpoint what was "new" to me on YouTube.  I will say that I was in love with VickRobCal's channel when I discovered it, so much great '80s/early '90s OLTL.

• Members

I remember seeing a complete 1975 episode of Y&R. It was the one where Phillip asked Katherine for the divorce. Bill Foster had returned to the family and they discover he has only about a year to live after he has collapsed and rushed to the hospital. Leslie finds our Lorie is writing a tell all book about her mental break down and tells Brad Eliot her fiance/husband who is furious and he leaves to go confront her.

I also remember finding a clip from 1980 that looked like a Y&R promo that go cut off. When the clip started they showed Julia Newman sitting at her dressing table and you heard the door slam (which I assume was Victor leaving in anger) and she drops her head in her hands in sorrow as the classic sad background music starts to play. The scene then changed to Greg Foster (who was wearing a hoodie sweatshirt unzipped to the navel) and his wife Nikki playing pinball. She notices he's acting weird. He then has a voice over in his mind that he suspects Nikki is lying to him.

• Members

Gosh I don't remember the first ones offhand- I'm sure it was SB-related since that what I was always searching for.

The ones that stick out are Harbor Cove on SB, Aqualand on SB, and the Sheila/Lauren catfight in the hospital.  That catfight sticks out for me partially because the Traci/Lauren catfight during Brad's heart attack was also posted and I remember the same orderlies that broke up Sheila/Lauren also broke up Traci/Lauren.  What's funny is those catfights were at least a few years apart.

• Members

It's hard to say for absolute certain what the first classic soap clip I saw on YouTube was.  However, the first daytime soap clip I remember seeing on YouTube was from the Amanda Lockridge storyline on Santa Barbara.  Cruz Castillo (A Martinez) and Eden Capwell (Marcy Walker) were both seen wearing wetsuits.  I first watched the footage on YouTube back in 2010.

• Members

I uploaded that! I downloaded it a TV museum website, and it stayed on YT for at least a year before it was bumped. I'm shocked it hasn't popped back up since then.

My very first soap-watching experience on YouTube was Tom and Erica's 1978 wedding from AMC. The second we had our high-speed connection set up, I watched it on our old desktop. I couldn't control my happiness!

• Members

Thanks for uploading that. I remember it had a huge number of views and comments. People loved it and wanted to see more classics. I remember seeing a 1982 episode with Nikki and Kevin uploaded, but before I could watch, it had been removed. The other 1982 episode with Snapper & Sally, Jack & Patty was around a long time before it was pulled. I have that one on DVD. 

Archived