The SON Daytime Drama Video Archive Collection

• Members

Love of Life...   the original Meg and Vanessa stories from the 50's

Somerset...  the Jingles the Clown story

The Doctors...   any anthology days or weeks from 63-64

Days of Our Lives   Addie-Doug Julie saga, David-Valerie saga.

General Hospital...John Prentice murder story, Brooke Clinton murder story

AMC...   Cindy AIDS story, Mark's Intervention

OLTL...  Cathy Craig at Odyssey House, Carla/Clara story from 68-

EON...  Eve Morris story, Stephanie Martin story and Keith Whitney story

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fortunately, many of the early LOVE episodes do still exist; they are all over youtube and available from some oldtime-TV retailers. There's at least one SOM episode available from the Jingles era, and at least one ep of GH in existence dealing with the John Prentice murder and Jessie's trial.  The TD, DAYS, and AMC material you suggested would be available too, woohoo. Sadly, the OLTL and TEON episodes are believed to no longer exist, although I would kill to see all those stories again. I was lucky to have watched them way back when, during the original telecasts, but I'd kill to see them once more, particularly the riveting and controversial Carla story from OLTL and the TERRIFYING and THRILLING Keith Whitney saga from TEON. Both these stories elevated their shows to greatness.

Remembering what the soaps were capable of in their heyday, and comparing that to the dreck we get now, sure is depressing.

• Members

I would also do a ATWT DVD collection of the Bob/Kim romance starting in 1972 to the end of the show with all the obstacles in their way. Kim falling in love with Bob when she comes to be a maid of honor at her sister Jennifer's wedding. Then Bob getting  Kim and Jennifer pregnant. Kim being forced to marry John Dixon and him raping her etc....

• Members

Although critics sniped at ATWT way back when, for being glacially-paced and too conservative,  the first several years of Kim's existence in Oakdale were mesmerizing. I loved when she would go to the park and have long, intimate conversations with Dan Stewart. I loved watching the genesis of her relationship with Bob, even though I vehemently opposed poor Jennifer being hurt. And John Dixon! What a complicated, tragic, monstrous creature he was back then. All the live episodes are lost, unless some unknown kinescopes turn up somewhere, but I'd be in heaven if I could relive this show's first two decades. (The Bob-Lisa marriage, and Ellen's fight to regain custody of her son were other highlights of the earlier years.)

Archived