Soap Opera Pet Peeves

• Members

This was inspired by the "Most Ridiculous" thread, and my generally annoying nit picking, but I was curious which things consistently annoy you on soaps. 

I find it annoying that no matter how  rich the character is, literally anyone can just come to their door, or break in their house. It's especially eye roll worthy in cases where the show has referenced the estate having a gate numerous times. I found it stupid how OLTL's Mitch could pop on Viki's property all the time. Same with AMC's Chandler mansion and Y&R's Chancellor mansion. It's the same on all soaps. I doubt it's that easy to walk on the property of real life billionaires, much less get past the front door. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Multi national corporations being run with a staff of 3 from one office in a small town.

Millionaires/billionaires who never travel.No summer vacations spent at the villa in the South of France.A tiny cabin out of town is the closest they get.

Criminals walking free and being forgiven or serving a short jail term.

Anyone who is admitted to hospital always has a private room.

• Members

A pet peeve of mine on soaps is watching these people eat out constantly. Ain't no reason for Jack or Victor to be eating at the GCAC when they most likely have a top of the line chef at home, who's food would rival what's served at the GCAC. 

When soap characters that are DAs are allowed to work on cases with folks they have personal relationships with. At times I can overlook it but come on. They'd be recused in real life. 

• Members

But so many have.  After she learned her lesson with Laura, I can't think of another rape storyline Monty told on GH, and for the 1980s that show didn't continually tell that story.  I don't remember Felicia, Anna, Lucy or really anyone being raped when other soaps were having nearly all the women raped, and more often than not, their rapist staying on the show.

Santa Barbara and DAYS come to mind immediately.

Mine is that so few characters work anymore or have storylines involving their jobs at all.

I want to see doctors and nurses at GH, teens working at Kelly's, people at ELQ, etc.

• Members

I suppose that most people here would consider it nit-picky on my part, but my peeve is about soap funerals.   I recall seeing footage from an old ATWT episode, a show I never watched regularly.  There was a funeral for a major character who had died, and the other characters, his family and friends, were gathered in their Sunday best at some sort of funeral setting, a funeral home, I think.   There was a service with an actual Bible reading and a minister, and alot of domestic chatter between the characters.  It was like a funeral in real life.  Nowadays, the soaps will downplay that realistic element and allow each character to go up to the lectern and go into hysterics in front of the guests, and of course, that venue will be the place to spill some sort of major secret.  I understand that soaps have a set of conventions all their own and this way is the way to go for dramatic purposes, but it sort of bothers me because in my mind, a character that I loved that passed on didn't have a respectful and dignified send-off.  That was one reason why I was glad that GH didn't do a grandstand type of funeral when the character of Edward Quartermaine passed away.  I think it was more respectful to the actor's memory who had played Edward, too.

• Members

I would consider that rape.  Did she ever have sex with Stefano while she was Gina?

Also Kayla, Jennifer, Sami and Adrienne, and Kim remembering she had been molested in a 10 year span of stories.  And I may have missed one.  And two of those rapists were allowed to stay on the show and became romantic leads, in Jack and Lawrence.  

• Members

This became so ridiculous on Dynasty - characters could just waltz in whereever they wanted, whenever they wanted. It became especially ridiculous with Alexis' penthouse as you'd assume that there'd be a doorman and restriced access. It wasn't like they could just climb into a window...

Archived