Most Ridiculous Soap Moments

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ATWT: Barbara Ryan doing her Groucho Marx sendup before jumping out of the window during her trial.  In this video clip starting at 5:53, I thought she was going to go full Norma Desmond but then she launched into Groucho. The whole contrived mess of them letting her out of her handcuffs when she already looked unhinged. Who likes this dreck??

• Members

OLTL- Eterna. Buchanan City. Honorable mention: The endless reappearance of Mitch Laurence in the last several years of the show. It was getting as bad Y&R and B&B with Sheila.

AMC- The god awful re-write of Erica's legendary abortion. I thought Colin Egglesfield was good looking, but the whole story was terrible. AMC's writing was simply the worst in the final years. I would rather they have discovered she had a son, not a daughter, with that Richard Fields rape.

GH- The alien story. Anything to do with Helena Cassadine, though I love Constance Towers. 

B&B- Anything to do with Sheila. The Bill having Ridge dumped out of a helicopter thing.  

ATWT- The spa. I hadn't watched much before that, and it didn't inspire me to keep watching. 

Days- Pretty much all the supernatural things they've done over the years. I don't even look at it like other soaps. It's a "genre" soap to me.  

There are tons of stories that annoy me, but  I perhaps shall make a separate thread for that, or find one to post in. These were just the ones that stuck out as most ridiculous.

• Members

I'm probably being a party poop, but I'll go with the powers that be (executives, networks) and wannabe powers that be (the press, actors, certain sections of fandom) making the misguided at best, degrading at worst decision that soap operas were meant to be ridiculous. 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

dbqnpj.gif

Also when Connie raped herself

to be fair, he had never had sex with Hope. It was more ridiculous that Brooke couldnt tell that wasnt Ridge considering she had spent the last 25 years screwing him. Them even having sex at Hope's graduation party right outside against a wall when any of the kids could have come out and seen was ridiculous

• Members

Amazon Sheila was the worst thing I have ever seen on a soap. That debacle did more damage to the Sheila character than either Pheila or Sarah Smythe.

GL: MaryAnne Carruthers. As much as I loved the late Carrie Nye and her screen presence, this story and her Carrie character popping up randomly in that ugly house of Michelle's (?) caused this show to jump the shark too.

Funny how both of these incidents coincide with the beginning of  Barbara Bloom's destructive run at CBS Daytime ca. 2003.

• Members

I actually agree. Several "minor" unrealistic things about soaps annoy me, as well as the go to lazy plots- faked death, twins, secret kids. I understand they have hundreds of episodes to write per year, but the endless over the top, and predictable, plots are what has killed the genre imo. If you look at the silly Housewives shows and their success, they basically have the same dramas that soaps do- alcoholism, social climbing, feuds, infidelity- which means those types of plots still get interest. 

Archived