Y&R: September 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Who lives in Katherine's mansion these days?

Have we seen the last of Devon's condo?

I really hate the fact that Jill gets the Traci Abbott treatment after years and years of story. She deserves more than these visits. And at one point the show has to erase the Jill Fenmore stupidity. 

So after that survey the one thing that TPTB understood is that we love Michael and Lauren?? 

This Tessa situation has become too big too soon for no real reason. She started ok, but it is clear that there have been rewrites. If she deserves a sister, a "groundbreaking" romance, the Newmans falling in love with her and the trafficking drama, Hilary should at least have a kid sister (involved with Charlie?) and a nosy aunt in town. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can agree now that the writing for Hilary sucks. I don't blame MM because she gives it her all, but Hilary doesn't have to be an antagonist to every character.

I didn't mind Jordan but after he played Hillary like that, screw him.

The actress who plays Maddie, I gave hers chance but she keeps relying on old stereotypes for a teen character, and now they're giving her more airtime. However, Charlie has been good - he plays the sulken teen, protective of mom well.

Tessa, again she was fine in small doses but the increased airtime and the actress just isn't selling it at all. Hopefully Sharon Case gets some good work out of it - also nice to see Alice again.

• Members

Indeed. It's tough for the audience to care about someone they know nothing about or is constantly shoved down our throats. There's something to be said for a slow build or at least easing a newbie in. 

While I don't necessarily think the premise of the storyline is bad, perhaps having a legacy-type character (or a child of a legacy character) directly involved would hit home and you'd feel more invested in it as a viewer. You've got Sharon running around like Serpico while the chief of police, Paul, is nowhere to be seen. It makes no sense.

Talk about a major swing and a miss, air ball, or whatever other sports analogy will fit.

• Members

I not only don't care about Tessa, I hate her. I mean, I truly hate her.

She's a lousy actress. She thinks blinking a lot and closing her eyes are Meryl Streep moves. She can't play moody or sincere or worried or anything else. Watching Mariah moon over her is painful. GAG ME with Mariah being so overwhelmed with desire upon seeing Tessa in her gym attire.

Exactly. It makes no sense.

• Members

When I mentioned the Tessa rewrites, I meant the change in direction. She showed up as someone Nikki befriended, Reed's music teacher and she was growing closer to Noah. She had some sort of a secret and we speculated a Sheila or Adam connection. I doupt that the original plan was for her to get involved with Cassiah, who was involved in a very prominent triangle at that time. Or to turn her from a homeless person to a recording artist, living with the richest people in town and dating their grandson. 

Soaps do it all the time and I hate it. It took years and years for Jill Foster to make her dream come true. Where was the struggle in Tessa's story? They did the same with Hilary. When you have such an ambitious character and have her marry and divorce a billionaire and now present a gossip show? Hilary's husband should have been a nice middle class guy who is not interested in money and power. She should by tempted by her rich playboy boss (Billy?). How about her husband wanting babies? Hilary considering an abortion? You care for characters who have to make decisions. Who might lose something. 

Things were so easy for Tessa that she now considers becoming a lesbian out of boredom. Don't get me started on her Crystal drama. That story was stolen from a SORASed Faith 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Hilary being ambitious was a rewrite of her character last year. That was NOT who she was.  The stuff with Devon happened before they decided 2.5 years into her tenure to make her an ambitious social climber. The problem with Hilary is they didn't have a plan for her other than being paired with Neil and shoehorning her in as New Dru. That didn't work and Devon won that triangle. So they had to regroup. Notice they've regrouped again. Hilary is no longer a social climber. 

I see what you mean by rewrite for Tessa. 

Archived