kalbir

Y&R: September 2017 Discussion Thread

Elsa   

Who lives in Katherine's mansion these days?

Have we seen the last of Devon's condo?

I really hate the fact that Jill gets the Traci Abbott treatment after years and years of story. She deserves more than these visits. And at one point the show has to erase the Jill Fenmore stupidity. 

So after that survey the one thing that TPTB understood is that we love Michael and Lauren?? 

This Tessa situation has become too big too soon for no real reason. She started ok, but it is clear that there have been rewrites. If she deserves a sister, a "groundbreaking" romance, the Newmans falling in love with her and the trafficking drama, Hilary should at least have a kid sister (involved with Charlie?) and a nosy aunt in town. 

18 minutes ago, Elsa said:

Who lives in Katherine's mansion these days?

Have we seen the last of Devon's condo?

I really hate the fact that Jill gets the Traci Abbott treatment after years and years of story. She deserves more than these visits. And at one point the show has to erase the Jill Fenmore stupidity. 

So after that survey the one thing that TPTB understood is that we love Michael and Lauren?? 

This Tessa situation has become too big too soon for no real reason. She started ok, but it is clear that there have been rewrites. If she deserves a sister, a "groundbreaking" romance, the Newmans falling in love with her and the trafficking drama, Hilary should at least have a kid sister (involved with Charlie?) and a nosy aunt in town. 

What rewrites  do you think their has  been with Tessa? I, honestly, see none. 

Edited by ajsp35801

StepBack   

I can agree now that the writing for Hilary sucks. I don't blame MM because she gives it her all, but Hilary doesn't have to be an antagonist to every character.

I didn't mind Jordan but after he played Hillary like that, screw him.

The actress who plays Maddie, I gave hers chance but she keeps relying on old stereotypes for a teen character, and now they're giving her more airtime. However, Charlie has been good - he plays the sulken teen, protective of mom well.

Tessa, again she was fine in small doses but the increased airtime and the actress just isn't selling it at all. Hopefully Sharon Case gets some good work out of it - also nice to see Alice again.

mango   
45 minutes ago, Elsa said:

Indeed. It's tough for the audience to care about someone they know nothing about or is constantly shoved down our throats. There's something to be said for a slow build or at least easing a newbie in. 

While I don't necessarily think the premise of the storyline is bad, perhaps having a legacy-type character (or a child of a legacy character) directly involved would hit home and you'd feel more invested in it as a viewer. You've got Sharon running around like Serpico while the chief of police, Paul, is nowhere to be seen. It makes no sense.

Talk about a major swing and a miss, air ball, or whatever other sports analogy will fit.

42 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

What rewrites  do you think their has  been with Tessa? I, honestly, see none. 

The only rewrite I see here is how Nikki first started off as being heavily invested in Tessa and now that's nonexistent. 

18 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

I stopped watching it. The show has no hope.

I haven't watched any (saw about 20 minutes of GH last week and it was painful) but I keep up because I'm just not ready to completely turn my back on Daytime soaps.  I've been watching for 37 years.  

1 minute ago, ChitHappens said:

I haven't watched any (saw about 20 minutes of GH last week and it was painful) but I keep up because I'm just not ready to completely turn my back on Daytime soaps.  I've been watching for 37 years.  

I've been watching soaps for 38 years now. Days is the only one I am watching now due to

Spoiler

Chandler Massey's return as Will. I would have stopped all together had he not returned. My soap viewing would have ended after 38 years.

1 hour ago, MichaelGL said:

The only rewrite I see here is how Nikki first started off as being heavily invested in Tessa and now that's nonexistent. 

I wouldn't call that a rewrite but more so them dropping the ball once they broadened Tessa's orbit. 

26 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

I wouldn't call that a rewrite but more so them dropping the ball once they broadened Tessa's orbit. 

Nikki cares about Tess so even a snarky comment when Tessa was moving from ranch to Sharon's like: 'Living with Victor or Sharon. I don't know, honey, seems like a lose-lose either way. I'm only a text away if you need to navigate that snake pit...' 

4 hours ago, edgeofnik said:

Nikki cares about Tess so even a snarky comment when Tessa was moving from ranch to Sharon's like: 'Living with Victor or Sharon. I don't know, honey, seems like a lose-lose either way. I'm only a text away if you need to navigate that snake pit...' 

I agree, it would have gone a long way. 

14 hours ago, Antoyne said:

I don't get the Tessa character or the fascination the show has with her. I don't hate all newbies but she literally does nothing for me. I don't give a [!@#$%^&*] that some unknown character that's her sister is in the sex ring. I don't care that she knows Zack. I don't care that she loves Mariah. I just don't care about this bitch at all.

I not only don't care about Tessa, I hate her. I mean, I truly hate her.

She's a lousy actress. She thinks blinking a lot and closing her eyes are Meryl Streep moves. She can't play moody or sincere or worried or anything else. Watching Mariah moon over her is painful. GAG ME with Mariah being so overwhelmed with desire upon seeing Tessa in her gym attire.

17 hours ago, GMac said:

Exactly.  The only reason women talk to each other anymore on this show is about the man that is currently humping them.  Or one they want to hump.  Hell, look at the Phyllis/Lauren/Michael scenes last week (or 2 weeks ago.  the days tend to run together) - it was all about Phyllis complaining about how much time Billy spends with Victoria.  No mention of Fenmore's and that online dressing room crap they peddled a few months ago.  I suppose that the department store is back to being profitable!  Macy's and JCP could learn a few things from these people :rolleyes:

The Hilary/Cassiah scenes this week have been particularly horrible.  Hilary playing the heartless bitch and poor ol goodie two shoes Cassiah.  Ugh.  Honestly, these are supposed to be professional writers?  I think they should take a look at some old school soap heroines like Rita Bauer.  Brigitte Reardon.  Hell, even on their own show with Nikki.  No one is interested in one note characters, "good" or "bad"...

I sorta-kinda liked Tessa initially but she is getting on my last nerve.  And those googly eyes she makes when Zac walks in a room are truly WTF moments.  You're right - if they do know each other, why keep it a secret?  Hell, why was she keeping the fact Crystal was her sister a secret for so long?  It makes no sense.  If she truly has no idea about his role with the sex ring, that's even more of a non-reason for them to act like they don't know each other.  If she does know, no one else does (apparently not yet anyway) so again, why act like y'all don't know each other.  Unless Tessa is involved in the sex ring as well?!?!  Which would be :wacko:.  Jeez, I've given myself a headache trying to make sense of this crap.

Exactly. It makes no sense.

Elsa   

When I mentioned the Tessa rewrites, I meant the change in direction. She showed up as someone Nikki befriended, Reed's music teacher and she was growing closer to Noah. She had some sort of a secret and we speculated a Sheila or Adam connection. I doupt that the original plan was for her to get involved with Cassiah, who was involved in a very prominent triangle at that time. Or to turn her from a homeless person to a recording artist, living with the richest people in town and dating their grandson. 

Soaps do it all the time and I hate it. It took years and years for Jill Foster to make her dream come true. Where was the struggle in Tessa's story? They did the same with Hilary. When you have such an ambitious character and have her marry and divorce a billionaire and now present a gossip show? Hilary's husband should have been a nice middle class guy who is not interested in money and power. She should by tempted by her rich playboy boss (Billy?). How about her husband wanting babies? Hilary considering an abortion? You care for characters who have to make decisions. Who might lose something. 

Things were so easy for Tessa that she now considers becoming a lesbian out of boredom. Don't get me started on her Crystal drama. That story was stolen from a SORASed Faith :P

3 hours ago, Elsa said:

When I mentioned the Tessa rewrites, I meant the change in direction. She showed up as someone Nikki befriended, Reed's music teacher and she was growing closer to Noah. She had some sort of a secret and we speculated a Sheila or Adam connection. I doupt that the original plan was for her to get involved with Cassiah, who was involved in a very prominent triangle at that time. Or to turn her from a homeless person to a recording artist, living with the richest people in town and dating their grandson. 

Soaps do it all the time and I hate it. It took years and years for Jill Foster to make her dream come true. Where was the struggle in Tessa's story? They did the same with Hilary. When you have such an ambitious character and have her marry and divorce a billionaire and now present a gossip show? Hilary's husband should have been a nice middle class guy who is not interested in money and power. She should by tempted by her rich playboy boss (Billy?). How about her husband wanting babies? Hilary considering an abortion? You care for characters who have to make decisions. Who might lose something. 

Things were so easy for Tessa that she now considers becoming a lesbian out of boredom. Don't get me started on her Crystal drama. That story was stolen from a SORASed Faith :P

Hilary being ambitious was a rewrite of her character last year. That was NOT who she was.  The stuff with Devon happened before they decided 2.5 years into her tenure to make her an ambitious social climber. The problem with Hilary is they didn't have a plan for her other than being paired with Neil and shoehorning her in as New Dru. That didn't work and Devon won that triangle. So they had to regroup. Notice they've regrouped again. Hilary is no longer a social climber. 

I see what you mean by rewrite for Tessa. 

Edited by ajsp35801