Y&R: September 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll pile on CF - you know it's bad when the Cassiah/Kevin scenes worked so well during Cassiah's 'reveal,' and the big 'confession' to Tessa completely fell flat, despite CG's best efforts. It was cringeworthy. I almost got sense that CG was so happy that Bryton showed up at the end of that scene....  

To be fair, this is a casting mistake - don't hire someone with very little experience to play a character with zero ties to the canvas and thrust into three show-eating stories (Tessiah, Devon's streaming service and the sexring, etc.) 

• Members

What a shame a stronger actress isn't playing Tessa. It could've been a bright spot of the show, especially, as you mentioned, because the character is entwined in a bunch of stories. Mind you, it probably wouldn't be a saving grace or anything, but it would be a positive. No disrespect to Cait Fairbanks -- she has a nice singing voice, but the acting chops aren't there. 

• Members

@mango totally agree. CF is a talented singer, but that seemed to be the main qualification. I'm sure she's getting hated on and it's not her fault because it's just too much for her range.

If it's Brent Davis, I'm still trying to make sense of the logic that 42 yo Graham's family was destroyed by the mother of three children who are 55+. Ashley would've been conceived 15 years before he was born - so family somehow stayed together for a long time.

I hope there is some other twist but as I've said before, SSM is very linear. Her 'Easter eggs' have everything painted on outside and no surprise tasty treat on inside. 

• Members

Tuned into last Friday for the first time (other than one drunken night) in weeks and the first jarring thing I see...KEVIN. Ugh.  Though I admit there was a turn of phrase that makes me worry what his agenda is.

Love the shade Esther was throwing Cane.

Juilet appears to be coming into her own in a classic villainess mode since I've saw her last.

Sharon is love.

ETA: Just to be sure since I missed the reveal...so Zach is in charge of the sex ring with Alice more of a madam ringleader type, right?

• Members

You're so right, and it can't be repeated enough. I've been saying it since her first episodes.

40 seconds of decent singing a week isn't enough to make up for her horrific tic-filled and emotionless acting. I literally hate seeing her on my screen.

And does ANYONE on that set ever give acting notes? CF closes her eyes for an EXTENDED moment with EVERY sentence out of her mouth. That's compounded by the fake lashes they put on her.

i am all in on a gay storyline, but I don't want CG saddled with this lump.

You're so right, and it can't be repeated enough. I've been saying it since her first episodes.

40 seconds of decent singing a week isn't enough to make up for her horrific tic-filled and emotionless acting. I literally hate seeing her on my screen.

And does ANYONE on that set ever give acting notes? CF closes her eyes for an EXTENDED moment with EVERY sentence out of her mouth. That's compounded by the fake lashes they put on her.

• Members

I only tuned in to watch the CG/TC 'reunion.' At least there was some payoff and not with OTT, hay-eating histrionics.  

I always like TC's take on Alice - it was great to have a 'blue collar' gal in contrast (especially during late-1990s) to all the upper class characters on Y&R. It's funny how they make TC look far dowdier than she really is. It's still hard to believe that Alice/Cassie were on the show 20 years ago! I think CG joined 20 years and then Alice maybe a few months late. Now if only they'd get JG back as Grace.... 

• Members

Interesting reading the criticisms of the Tessa/sex ring story.

A lot of complaints about it being about a new character.

Thinking back to the unwed mother story of the 80s that introduced Nina to the canvas.

I wonder if there were similar complaints?

I guess the difference was that it was just one story in the midst of other strong plots(not happening today) Also Tricia Cast delivered so audience took to her (not happening this time)

Archived