Sign in to follow this  
Bright Eyes

Film Awards Thread

I like the idea of movies from streaming companies having to spend a certain period of time (2 months maybe?) in the theatres, before moving them to their streaming platform, for it to be considered for the Oscars.  Also, what about moving the Oscars (and other awards) back a month?  It would give people more time to see more movies, especially those that are released just before the cut off date in December.

12 minutes ago, Toups said:

I like the idea of movies from streaming companies having to spend a certain period of time (2 months maybe?) in the theatres, before moving them to their streaming platform, for it to be considered for the Oscars.  Also, what about moving the Oscars (and other awards) back a month?  It would give people more time to see more movies, especially those that are released just before the cut off date in December.

They’ve done exactly the opposite: in 2020, the Oscars are moving up two weeks to February 9. They felt that awards fatigue in that long march to the Oscars was partially responsible for the ratings decline. So now the precursor awards will all have to pack into January. The Grammys have moved back to January 26 to get out of the way.

And the BAFTA Film Awards will be held February 2, 2020, the same night as the damn Super Bowl!

Edited by Faulkner

She makes a valid point, although I must add that now that Netflix is doing a lot more producing of its own full-length features and "TV" shows, it seems to be giving less time and space to lesser known and unknown talent than it would have in the past. 

Netflix almost exclusively appears to be going after the big named talent nowadays.  I miss seeing little gems by unknown/little-known indie filmmakers from under-represented groups.

7 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

They’ve done exactly the opposite: in 2020, the Oscars are moving up two weeks to February 9. They felt that awards fatigue in that long march to the Oscars was partially responsible for the ratings decline. So now the precursor awards will all have to pack into January. The Grammys have moved back to January 26 to get out of the way.

And the BAFTA Film Awards will be held February 2, 2020, the same night as the damn Super Bowl!

Really?  That's ridiculous.  How are people suppose to care about an awards show if they haven't seen those nominated movies?  I think that also plays a factor in ratings.   For me, I saw 4 out of the 8 Best Picture nominees, and 3 of them were in the last week before the Oscars. 

1 minute ago, Toups said:

Really?  That's ridiculous.  How are people suppose to care about an awards show if they haven't seen those nominated movies?  I think that also plays a factor in ratings.   For me, I saw 4 out of the 8 Best Picture nominees, and 3 of them were in the last week before the Oscars. 

I think it’s tough, though. They lucked out this year with Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, and A Star Is Born. The types of films they usually nominate like The Shape of Water, The Hurt Locker, and Roma are just never going to be what a general audience is going to seek out, even if given more time.

7 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I think it’s tough, though. They lucked out this year with Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, and A Star Is Born. The types of films they usually nominate like The Shape of Water, The Hurt Locker, and Roma are just never going to be what a general audience is going to seek out, even if given more time.

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying, that ratings also depends the type of movies that are nominated, movies that general audiences will go see.   Also, look at the release dates for those three big movies.  BP: February 16.  BR: November 2.  ASIB: October 5.   Lots of time for people to check out those movies. 

Oscars 2020: How Netflix Plans to Win Best Picture With Scorsese's Mob Drama

2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

She makes a valid point, although I must add that now that Netflix is doing a lot more producing of its own full-length features and "TV" shows, it seems to be giving less time and space to lesser known and unknown talent than it would have in the past. 

That's one of the reasons I'm not all rah rah Netflix. They have become so generic, and I also find much of their original content incredibly disturbing both oncamera and behind the scenes. 

There are still a few shows I enjoy, like One Day at a Time (and I'm starting to get into Bakeoff) but with prices increasing I feel like I'm near the end with them. 

Box Office: 'Green Book' Scores Biggest Post-Oscar Bump in 8 Years

The dramedy earned $4.7 million over the weekend.

Director Peter Farrelly's Green Book scored the biggest post-Oscar bump of any best picture winner in eight years at the domestic box office over the weekend.

The Amblin and Participant Media dramedy grossed $4.7 million from 2,641 cinemas over the March 1-3 frame — its 16th weekend in release — days after its much-debated victory at the 91st Academy Awards.

No movie taking home the statuette for best picture has earned that much post-Oscars since The King's Speech posted a weekend gross of $6.2 million from 2,386 cinemas following the Academy Awards in 2011. That compares to $2.3 million for The Shape of Water, last year's winner, and roughly the same amount for Moonlight two years ago.

Prior to that, Spotlight, Birdman, 12 Years a Slave and Argo likewise earned around $2 million on the first post-Oscar weekend. The winner in 2012, The Artist, fared better with $3.6 million (both The Artist and The King's Speech were from Harvey Weinstein, an expert at turning awards attention into box office glory).

42 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

That's one of the reasons I'm not all rah rah Netflix. They have become so generic, and I also find much of their original content incredibly disturbing both oncamera and behind the scenes. 

There are still a few shows I enjoy, like One Day at a Time (and I'm starting to get into Bakeoff) but with prices increasing I feel like I'm near the end with them. 

I share an account so fortunately the cost is split.  They still have some very good documentaries like the one I saw about Sam Cooke last week and they have a few international comedies that are pretty entertaining, which you cannot find anywhere else.

Someone did make another good point though that it's impossible for anyone who doesn't have access to Netflix to access videos like The 13th at their local library, which I was able to do with many popular HBO and AMC series.  Although honestly, it likely the same way for Hulu and Amazon.

Film people on twitter are overreacting to the Spielberg's proposal. All he's asking for is that the Netflix movies appear in theaters for 4 weeks.  Disagreement is understandably, but it's overblown. 

I hate when people say "why don't you make better movies" because sometimes quality doesn't get people to the movie theaters.  I bet most of the people who watched Roma on Netflix wouldn't watch it in theaters.

I'm not as impressed by Netflix(or HBO) as others are just because it's easier for them to have freedom when they don't have to worry about things box office or ratings.  Despite that they make plenty of crap.  To be honest, I think one reason people support the streaming services is because it makes them seem cutting edge.