Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I’m assuming the bigger winners (Shape, Tonya, Billboards) will take a theatrical victory lap before hitting streaming but I’ll check them out once they do.

Last night’s telecast was watched by 26.5 million, the least-watched by a wide margin. I just wonder how many will tune in 10 years from now.

• Members

It’s a huge factor, and I suspect Black Panther will be nominated for BP and possibly other major categories next year for this very reason. However, I do think this audience erosion is largely irreversible and once live events and sports begin to collapse, it’s curtains for broadcast.

• Members

I've heard from several people that they think the Oscars have become too gaudy (Jane Fonda made a joke about the set looking like something out of one of her 1960s fantasia movies), showy and over the top.

The Independent Spirity Awards is a much more low-key vehicle but it seems to have gained in popularity because it really focuses more on the films and less on the fanfare.  Nobody "campaigns" for an Indie Award which gives it a tinge more authenticity.

• Members

Don't forget about Viola Davis though!  

It seems like an uphill climb for Halle Berry though.  Not impossible but, it's been a long time since I've seen her in a movie with some meat and the standards and expectations for Black characters in film seem to have irrevocably changed since the days of Monster's Ball.

• 2 months later...