Film Awards Thread

• Members

I think she's kind of funny, but the media push for her lately feels more and more like tokenism and is very patronizing. The various (white) columnists saying she should have hosted this year and must host next year - if she does, they will rip her to shreds. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

You seem shocked.  I'm sure the next time a black person gets an Oscar for Best Acting, it will be Halle Berry - the weakest in the bunch.  Or a dark skinned person will win Supporting but never the lead!  I don't watch awards shows, and thank goodness!  

• Members

I've always thought Garner was so hollow - the epitome of the safe and focus-group tested "star" (likely one of the reasons none of her work was ever a tenth as successful as it was supposed to be). It was odd seeing her almost human.

(I don't know if you saw it but I put a Twitter link to part of an old Hart to Hart comic strip in the nightly thoughts thread)

• Members

Totally. Leslie hosting the BET Awards last year was painful to watch. So much mugging. I saw that as someone who found Robin Williams intolerably manic even as I recognized his talent (and his impressions were often spot-on). But it’s hard out there for black comedians.