Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Not surprised they caved. It’s shocking how many dumb, insulting, poorly vetted decisions have come from the Academy in the past year. There’s so much fat that could be trimmed from the ceremony (lame presenter banter, montages) without touching the awards. Plus, there’s no host, so no need for a protracted opening/monologue.

• Members

It was odd when the writer mentioned how off it was that Babe got a best picture nomination - the movie was very critically acclaimed. 

If Rami does win then it would be an interesting story waiting to be told about how he became such a lock, especially since Bohemian Rhapsody was loathed by critics and mired neck-deep in controversy. 

He's an extremely charismatic and careful man, reminiscent of old school Hollywood in many ways. I wonder if that appeals to them.

• Members

Yeah, I remember Babe being acclaimed as well. I’m not sure Babe has this great legacy as a family film in the same way the more fashionable Pixar movies have had, so it’s a bit of a retcon.

Some say Malek is being rewarded for surviving the Bryan Singer stuff, and since their on-set feud was so widely publicized (and notable since Malek is so well-known as the sweetest guy), he emerges looking pretty good.

Plus, they love an actor transformation, and I’m not sure they liked Vice enough to reward Bale. And many folks just like Malek, even though he can come off as eccentric (especially with his creepy Mr. Robot role influencing how he’s perceived). And it’s a way of rewarding BoRhap’s success, even if the Academy is a bit more iffy on the movie overall.

• Members

That article is interesting, although the main focus seems to be on Bailey being let down by spineless people around him. The problem is many of his changes were never needed in the first place. The idea that ratings will soar if they cut a few categories is nonsensical. I don't believe that a lot of people who don't watch a 4 hour show will watch a 3 hour one. Many people are done with the Oscars and with all awards shows. That's just how life goes. Younger generations are not compelled to watch - they'd be more likely to clown everything on Twitter. 

• Members

Exactly. They are pissing off the only audience they’re going to have. And it’s still a pretty big audience at the moment. The Oscars are second to the Super Bowl in ratings each year. 

Granted, that audience will die off in the coming years if they don’t do a better job of selling it to young people. I can understand the anxiety.

It’ll be sad if the Oscars become obsolete, though. They still matter a lot internationally. When I was in Singapore in 2017, I met a lot of people who’d seen Moonlight who’d never seen a black gay film. They watched it because of the Oscars’ seal of approval. It gives smaller, more artistic films a huge platform. (And I wasn’t even that crazy about Moonlight.)

• Members

I think it’s between Green Book and Black Panther and maaaaybe Roma after the BAFTA win. It’s all about that preferential ballot and which films are selected as second and third choices. Well-liked by a lot of people but not necessarily loved.

I just wonder if the option to reward Roma in Foreign Language Film hurts its Best Picture chances. Not sure the “Netflix is trying to kill the industry so we won’t vote for their movies” factor is a real concern for this particular movie.