Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Slate tends to love clickbait hot takes, so nothing new there. The level of contempt for Glenn Close winning an award based on career respect, which has been a part of the Oscars for many, many, many years, does nothing for me. Trying to shoehorn in some kind of comparison about Rami Malek (where there are valid reasons to not want him to win) just ends up making a mockery of sexual abuse allegations against Bryan Singer.

I don't understand his claim that Rami is sure to win. It seems fairly obvious to me that Christian Bale will win, even though from what I've heard it's not very deserved.

This comment did make me laugh:

Jeff Bridges in Crazy Hearts.  Kate Winslet in The Ex Concentration Camp Guard who Learned to Read.  Nicole Kidman's fake nose in The Hours that Felt Like Years.  Julianne Moore in Alice’s Brain Is Broken.  Cate Blanchett in Late Period Woody Allen film #512B.  Gary Oldman in Another Winston Churchill Hagiography. Al Pacino in Hoooooo-Ahhh! There are plenty of lifetime achievement awards given to great actors and actresses in mediocre movies.  It's not the end of the world.

• Members

Yeah, practically every year someone wins an Oscar more for career achievement than an individual performance. Not sure why the outrage about Glenn in particular. It’s better than the various “Hot Young Thing” Best Actress winners (JLaw, Emma Stone, the list goes on).

I think Rami does have a real shot, but stories like this constantly in the news won’t help:

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I think it's because it doesn't give them anything sexy to write about. They can gush over Olivia Colman because The Favourite is a "hot" movie and a historical movie. They can gush over Gaga because she gets clicks and she has an enthralling life story. 

As years pass more and more people seem to agree that JLaw's Oscar was not deserved, and that she was never worth the hype.

• Members

I actually like JLaw, but I think it was too much too soon, and her choices in roles haven’t done her any favors.

I totally agree that Glenn doesn’t buy them a clickbait narrative for the young, “cool” people, but people really responded to her feminist Globes speech. It was all the news shows focused on from that ceremony.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Ah, I didn't realize he was making a point about how long the other nominees are. Thanks for clue-ing me up.

As for the lead male category, it really is a shame Bradley Cooper has lost any hype/hope at winning. I've been critical of his last two nominations, but he should have been the front runner this year. I don't know why he isn't.

Glenn Close absolutely deserves it this year. The Wife will be a forgettable film, but her performance in it is outstanding. I will be rooting for her to win, and that's coming from someone that champions A Star is Born and absolutely loves Olivia Colman. I do believe the latter will be nominated again in future and will eventually have her time.