Film Awards Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's very sweet that he actually thinks most of the people who vote care about what's in the movie (or even watch the movie) or that those who do care would magically change their mind over one clip out of an entire film. I guess if it makes him feel better. 

(I've always liked Laurie Metcalf but I didn't think she was that great in the clip, to be honest - she's been giving that performance for many many years) 

Anyway, I generally always find Jane Fonda tense to watch as herself, so maybe it's just me, but what an oddly tense atmosphere there was in the room when she and Helen Mirren were presenting (and it was also a bit odd to see Helen talking about views and society changing given some of her past comments).

Gary Oldman....zzz. The only interesting thing about that is getting to see the social justice warriors who yet again put too much importance on an archaic awards ceremony to validate them seething over him winning and Sam Rockwell winning. If Frances Macdormand wins I imagine Twitter and tumblr will open a vein. And post the pictures in graphic detail.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Frances reminds me of a white version of one of my aunts. Fierce but with a sweet softness that peeks through.

Hey, at least this ceremony ended before midnight Eastern, but it still somehow felt interminable. 

They really went all in on politics, but a lot of it felt forced, like Jimmy Kimmel’s monologue. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Administrator

So all the big categories went pretty much as expected - there were no upsets.  

Before the Golden Globes, I don't remember seeing Frances McDormand in interviews/talk shows, so I never knew she had this huge personality.  Now every time I see her I like her more and more.  I just love her personality, her speech pattern, the way she talks, her body movements.....she's just this out-there-likeable character.  Frances asking all the nominated women to stand up was amazing.  

I think Shape Of Water is the first science-fiction film to win Best Picture (I consider LOTR: ROTK fantasy).  I want to see it since it's a love story and I like the Alexander Desplait's score. 

I liked the movie theater bit. It was a nice fun moment.   And the end with the jet ski.   Tiffany Haddish and Maya were hilarious. 

So glad they started the show at 8pm EST.  They should do this every year.  

• Members

Oh God. The reaction to the Grammys from the Twitter set was hilarious. I wanted to tell them, “You do realize that this is the same Recording Academy that gave Jethro Tull an award for Best Heavy Metal album? That gave Shelby Lynne Best New Artist SIX albums into her career? And you’re still putting stock in their decisions?”

• Members

Thrilled for Peele and Del Toro. I would've been happy with most of the nominees for BP except Darkest Hour and Lady Bird, though. Kind of wish Get Out had edged Shape out on BP but they're both very deserving. Wish CMBYN and Timothee Chalamet had won for Best Actor, but that was never going to happen with Oldman and DDL in the race. At least James Ivory won.

Edited by Vee

• Members

For all the talk of "Yay! Diversity!," we STILL end up with white folks winning the four acting prizes.  Thanks, Academy voters.

Meanwhile, the Interwebs are abuzz with Jennifer Garner's mid-clap moment of realization during Frances McDormand's acceptance speech.  Everyone is wondering what the heck ran across the front of her mind.  Me...?  I think it finally dawned on her that the Mueller Device on "Alias" was an utter piece of crap.

Edited by Khan