Jump to content


Vizion

Y&R: Sally Sussman Speaks!!!

Recommended Posts

Just now, KMan101 said:

 

But why is it problematic? It's not erasing who you are as a person. But yeah I don't need to get into this with you. Clearly it's a sore subject.

 

I'll just post these links and then get back on topic

http://affinitymagazine.us/2016/07/25/i-dont-see-color-is-crap-and-you-know-it/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/opinion-dear-tomi-lahren-please-stop-saying-you-dont-see-n690801

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roni-faida/why-i-hate-the-phrase-i-d_b_9341762.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/26/do-not-see-race-ignoring-racism-not-helping

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/minority-report/201602/i-dont-see-color

 

I do think the conversation about labeling sexuality is still a bit influx but the principle isn't much different. 

 

So anyway, Mal has his work cut out for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soapsuds said:

I was referring to Sally and her admitting to lying about the stories and she just made them up for the interview. Very unprofessional...IMO

 

It is but I found it hilarious lol. She's gone who cares? All HWs tell you what they think you want to hear and very few deliver. Soaps are in a rut and coasting by in an effort to survive

Just now, Vizion said:

 

Thanks for the links (and I mean that, not being snarky and I honestly had no ill intent with wondering why we have to live in a society with labels).

 

and yep Mal sure has his work cut out for him. He has no scapegoats it's all on him. Unless he performs miracles we will eventually be talking about yet another producer and HW change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vizion said:

 

 

 

 

So anyway, Mal has his work cut out for him. 

I will be surprised if this story lasts. There is already backlash and it won't get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, this is making me think Mal may have been another fast-ish replacement and they may look for someone else in the meantime. I HIGHLY doubt he'll make it through being both EP and HW for long.

 

11 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

 

Given how much Logan loves the show, and wants it to succeed, I think that if she'd spoken with him he would have likely worked out an interview where she could have given basic ideas while talking about her struggle getting back in. She has a long history with the show, lots they could have talked about. She could have said that her main ideas were still being worked out.

 

She just lost her brother so I can't blame her for not thinking about doing this, but I think it would have been the better approach. But I don't really think that interview was some huge blunder anyway - I think she lost favor with fans because she just got caught in the same grind that all the soap writers are in now, so I'm not sure why she brought it up. 

Yeah, that would have been a good way to handle it, IA. But considering she lost her only remaining family member and was devastated, I'm sure she wanted to be like -- OK, here's four stories, that's what's going on, I'm out.

Edited by YRBB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

 

It is but I found it hilarious lol. She's gone who cares? All HWs tell you what they think you want to hear and very few deliver. Soaps are in a rut and coasting by in an effort to survive

That's why I said it was so bad that it was funny. And that's why I called her a hack writer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

 

It is but I found it hilarious lol. She's gone who cares? All HWs tell you what they think you want to hear and very few deliver. Soaps are in a rut and coasting by in an effort to survive

 

Thanks for the links (and I mean that, not being snarky and I honestly had no ill intent with wondering why we have to live in a society with labels).

 

and yep Mal sure has his work cut out for him. He has no scapegoats it's all on him. Unless he performs miracles we will eventually be talking about yet another producer and HW change.

 

No worries, all good. I think the conversation about labels as it pertains to sexuality is still a little gray, there's arguments for and against but labels help people identify a community and common individuals which is super important for groups who are still discriminated against. 

 

At this point I really hope that Angelica is going to give Mal his shot or whatever (I have zero confidence he can do both jobs) but she's also ACTIVELY looking for a real headwriter and I mean getting people to submit longterm story plans for characters, doing interviews, etc. I have a hard time believing that it's that hard to find a HW honestly.

Edited by Vizion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Soapsuds said:

That's why I said it was so bad that it was funny. And that's why I called her a hack writer.

 

I guess I don't see hack the same way lol

Just now, Vizion said:

 

At this point I really hope that Angelica is going to give Mal his shot or whatever (I have zero confidence he can do both jobs) but she's also ACTIVELY looking for a real headwriter and I mean getting people to submit longterm story plans for characters, doing interviews, etc. I have a hard time believing that it's that hard to find a HW honestly.

 

+1

 

i think many would want the job but soaps have to start getting out of their bubble and bring on fresh blood. I'd like Mal to impress me but no one seems to last more than a year or two anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

I will be surprised if this story lasts. There is already backlash and it won't get better.

 

They were always going to get pushback. They need to break that conservative bubble and ignore the pearl clutchers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KMan101 said:

 

They were always going to get pushback. They need to break that conservative bubble and ignore the pearl clutchers 

 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KMan101 said:

 

They were always going to get pushback. They need to break that conservative bubble and ignore the pearl clutchers 

Well Y&R is late to the party and the Adam/Rafe mess didn't help either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

and yep Mal sure has his work cut out for him. He has no scapegoats it's all on him.

 

Indeed, lol.

 

Now, I'll say this much: from what little I've been able to glean from this board, Twitter and elsewhere, Mal Young seems to possess a genuine fondness for Y&R, its history and legacy within daytime television.  Which might go a long way toward building trust and goodwill with the audience as he fills the HW'ing chair.

 

However, if there's anything I have learned from Sally Sussman Morina's relatively brief time in this particular gig, it's that a fondness for this show (or any show) isn't always enough.  To win over the fans, you also must be able to keep it compelling and fresh.  Is Mal capable of doing this without alienating more of Y&R's audience in the process?  Time, as they say, will tell.

Edited by Khan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I don't think Sally is a hack. I think she's a boring writer and a mediocre talent. She got a lot of credit for who she worked for rather than her own output. 

 

I'm really annoyed that Kay is tied to this because I still have a lot of respect for her. What did she do exactly? Cause Sally very clearly made it seem like all of the ideas and stories were hers. Did Kay contribute at all I wonder? 

Edited by Vizion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

Indeed, lol.

 

Now, I'll say this much: from what little I've been able to glean from this board, Twitter and elsewhere, Mal Young seems to possess a genuine fondness for Y&R, its history and legacy within daytime television.  Which might go a long way toward building trust and goodwill with the audience as he fills the HW'ing chair.

 

However, if there's anything I have learned from Sally Sussman Morina's relatively brief time in this particular gig, it's that a fondness for this show (or any show) isn't always enough.  To win over the fans, you also must be able to keep it compelling and fresh.  Is Mal capable of doing this without alienating more of Y&R's audience in the process?  Time, as they say, will tell.

Sally's Y&R was never compelling.....LOL...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...