• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Please register in order to view this content

I'm sorry about her brother, but you'd think that she would have had ideas for storylines when she got hired. While it doesn't surprise me if she took her job at Y&R so casually, given the way that they have cycled through writers in recent years, it helps explain just why her material is so empty. 

• Members

Yeah. Sadly that's likely the case, which is crazy because HWs still make bank. I remember when Guza left GH, and they promoted Michele Val Jean and Elizabeth Korte to interim head writer before taking on Megan McTavish (ugh) for the permanent role. I wonder if Y&R might have asked Natalie Minardi Slater and Janice Ferri Esser to hold the position while they recruited someone else to take over. 

• Members

Look, if Sally did come into the gig on short notice and with nothing that approached a long-term plan, then why not admit as much to Logan?  Why not just tell him (and us) what's going on and then say, "Come back to me in six months or so and we'll talk about what long-range plans I got up mah sleeve"?  Why did she feel the need to bluff Logan AND the viewers?  As desperate as viewers might be for Y&R to make a comeback, I think they'd rather you be honest with them than to blow more smoke up their collective, figurative asses.

• Members

I'm bored of hearing "it's a love story" when same-sex relationships pop up. Viewers don't see it that way. They see a gay story. It doesn't matter what you call it. 

Say what you will about the writing for Bianca on AMC - I'd say it was a lot of [!@#$%^&*] - but Agnes Nixon took time to have her come out and make viewers care about her. ATWT did the same with Luke. That meant when they did have relationships, viewers were more supportive. 

Y&R has always had an extremely conservative fan base (which I'd think she would have known given her history with the show) but even if they didn't, there would be a backlash about two women being involved. Many would see it as a stunt, on top of the people who object due to homophobia. 

You can say love is love and it's not about gender as many times as you want when you're on your Twitter or Facebook or whatever. When you're a writer, it doesn't work that way. 

• Members

But it should be a "love is love" story. Why do viewers have to label it "the gay story"? More people are coming out as sexually fluid. I'm tired of all of us having labels. We live in a society that insists on labels. It's annoying. We're all just human beings who want love.

• Members

And I love Sally's directness and that she just came up with stuff. LOL. It doesn't bother me. She clearly didn't have long-term plans. There was clearly lots of backstage interference whether she admits it or not ... everyone's coming for her so I hate that I feel like I have to even defend her because while I liked a few things she did (I judge things differently than some, I look for little things, like Sharon getting a reset but others say "it's boring") but I think she lacked direction, her new characters lack depth ... she was lackluster and boring but she wasn't a hack.

If you look past being annoyed and bored by it, there was a clear effort to make Victor likeable again, like she did with Sharon (and with Victor it was quickly thrown out the window). I'm not saying I enjoyed his tea parties with Faith, but look a little deeper sometimes

• Members

Did we not all read the same interview? Or are y'all just going off of (biased) comments here? What she actually said was the whole gig happened very fast, she had ONE day from not being the HW to being the HW. They clearly needed someone FAST. She took the gig.

Here's the answer. The very first part of the very first question:

When I came into Y&R last September, I had one day's notice to start the job. I had been traveling in France with my feature documentary. So, I had nothing prepared and never have started a job like that before. But because of the change happening so fast, I had to jump in with both feet. While starting to write the daily shows, I came up with several stories that I pitched the network; one of which is the love story between Mariah and a new character named Tessa. 

So this explains the half-baked, haphazard, unfinished nature of the show. She was making it up as she went along. The difference is, it was not show-decimating, character-destroying stuff that she was making up.

And she takes responsibility for the work she did. That's something to hold against her now?

I will never understand why she did it this way, but a couple of things: I HIGHLY doubt anyone would be happy if she admitted she had no long-term plan when starting. The network wouldn't like what it said about them, and the fans would DECIMATE her from the very beginning for daring to start the job without it. She felt the need because that's what HW do when they start: They come on and say they have all these long terms plans. We've seen this on literally every HW change for Y&R. I like the optimism but she would have been picked apart.

Archived