• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I agree. I think both shows have many years left.  If forced to guess I would say around 7-10, although I'm not someone who ever wishes a soap canceled. I just think technology is continuing to change the way people watch TV, so I'm not sure daytime soaps will survive that continuing transition.

• Administrator

CBS/Sony hiring her without knowing what she had planned doesn't sound make a lot of sense.  However, if this is true, it makes CBS/Sony look so incompetent, more than Sally.  But everyone looks so bad in this situation. 

"But I take responsibility for every scene in every episode as it was all done by me."

In a way I commend her for taking full responsibility and not throwing anybody under the bus, but a HW doesn't have full autonomy, especially one of her stature. 'm guessing she doesn't want to anger anybody since, I'm assuming, her husband still works for the show. 

• Members

+1.

Major damage control PR on her part.

Even CBS/SONY spun it in a way that would save SSM's butt. Retiring? Hardly! She's totally into documentary, as per her interview. They did not even get their versions straight lol

• Members

I agree. This interview just creates more questions than anything because she clearly isn't telling the full story. We know she didn't have full autonomy so why say that? But in general I think it speaks volumes about Sony/CBS that they'd hire someone without giving them a chance to create a long term story. I imagine that's likely how they've been picking all of their past HWs and that is why the show is as bad as it is. 

• Members

+1

Mariah didn't need to be paired with Devon to make it a triangle with Tessa. Mariah making out with her brother's girlfriend is enough of a story. Mariah and Devon are snoozeville and didn't need to be paired up. Maybe it would have worked had they set her up better in that relationship instead of it being a plot device.

• Members

I think they set Mariah up perfectly in her relationship with Devon. Yes, it was predicated more on folks hating Hilary and rooting for Mariah to win over her than actually liking Devon and Mariah  together but it did the trick. Got folks invested. I just don't think that's where the larger story or drama is. The Noah/Tessa/Mariah triangle pulls in Sharon and all the Newmans, much bigger orbit. Could cause conflict between Sharon and Nick with Sharon feeling protective cause Mariah has no one else. Tessa has this relationship with Nikki established. She'd want to protect her grandson's heart. Victor protecting  his grandson's  wealth, especially if Tessa is pregnant.  There is none of that to play if they focus on triangle with Devon/Mariah/Tessa. It'd ultimately boil down to Hilary as some villain and Neil and Lily trying to convince Mariah to be with Devon to keep Hilary away. And I guess Sharon would play a role as Mariah's talk to but I can't see her picking a side. Then when Mariah and Tessa gets together so  what? With Noah, they get together then family dinner is awkward. Long term drama. 

• Members

I've said it several times before on this board but the reality is that this show now hires headwriters who can get a product out 5 days a week, not people who have a vision or clear ideas. These is an assembly line soap. No one from top to bottom actually gives a sh!t about the overall picture. So I'm not sure why we're all surprised Sony hired her without any story ideas.

Are the sets standing? Is everyone wearing clothes? Are they speaking somewhat grammatically correct English? Okay great! Send to print!

I never imagined a day when Days or B&B was produced and written than Y&R but here we are.

Archived