Y&R: August 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Pleasantly surprised Beth Maitland is taping for a whole week. That's promising. Better not be to kill Dina off though, MY needs to keep Marla Adams.

I figured he'd be committed to Tessa/Mariah. That had him written all over it. And he may not be tweaking scripts but his hands are all over the show.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1

The older characters are needed to make the younger generation's stories richer. Whose gonna give out advice and play angst to forbidden romances, if not the old guard! Everyone has a role in multigenerational stories. All I'm asking for some of these stories start to be centered around younger characters. I think they have somewhat. Noah is the only younger character that the show refuses to really write for. 

Agree with @ranger1rg and @DramatistDreamer about BJ and MiM. They work! 

• Members

Apparently, so (i.e. Hamilton Winters). It sucks that Hamilton Winters Group is in a damn hotel and is one of the smaller sets. This is why I wish (much to the chagrin of others that post here) that Devon was written to inherit Chancellor. At least then the writers couldn't've given him and Neil some recycled, tiny, bulls--t set. They don't even care about Hamilton Winters or about making it a strong force like Newman or Jabot. 

Sadly, Neil/Devon are a snooze b/c the writers don't care for either of them. They are the black sheep (pun included) of the show. At this point, the show needs to get rid of KSJ. He's one of the many characters that the show keeps but never utilizes. Love KSJ but at this point he needs to go. No regime seems to wanna try with him. LML was the last writer that attempted to do anything with the character. The rest of the regimes just throw him scraps and half-assed arcs. And Devon getting Kay's fortune was the chance to make him interesting and gain back the edge he had originally, but the show nixed any of that. Seeing as Devon is an early to mid 30 year old man, who literally had nothing a decade ago, he should be blowing through money like nothing. That money should have Devon out here acting a fool, but it doesn't. Instead, they have him out here acting like a "Larry Lou," who scolds Hilary and Cane at every chance. 

• Members

It makes sense to me that the office is at the club. Doesn't Devon own the entire building? Or was that his apartment building? I can't keep track. I imagine, if we apply logic, it's financially better that way but I get the complaints over it. They didn't need to say it was at the club though, they could have just implied it was an office building somewhere.

But then this show has Brash and Sassy still sucking up space in Ashley's lab ...

• Members

I would've liked to have been able to eavesdrop on those "negotiations" that were undoubtedly required to convince CK that it was a good idea to age the Ashby twins to teenagers.  

Likely, part of those "negotiations" included a compromise that would allow Lily to look like a "hot Mom", one of those women who are mistaken for their child's sibling or repeatedly hear people say "surely, you're not old enough to have teenagers". We even heard Jordan say this once when Lily first mentioned Charlie and Mattie.

There were a few episodes where wardrobe tried to style Lily in a more matronly manner but it was far too obvious what they were doing. My guess is that someone looked at the final product and didn't like what they saw onscreen and "gave in" to the forces that wanted to dress Lily more youthfully as she had been, in the past.

• Members

I don't mind Devon and Neil having offices at the GCAC. I guess I'm just too happy that they actually got an office with a logo. It's clear to me that the show wants to keep it as small time as possible though. But at this point, their offices doesn't look any less "small" than Jabot or Newman. All Jabot business happens in Jack's office, hallway, or the elevator. All Newman business happens in Victor's office.  HWG isn't that much different. 

I agree that HWG has been boring thus far. But that's mainly cause there is no drama there since the show insists that Devon and Neil will be "nice" and work so well together and with whomever they deal with. No cheating. No manipulating. No fighting. That's not entertaining soap.  Which is why I believe Hilary will end up there sooner rather than later. They need her cause, at this point, I can't see them changing the writing for Neil nor devon. 

• Members

Yeah, the Dare model is supposed to be some matronly mom. But, honestly, Lily was 'aged' to 40 since she was paired with Cane. It was a terrible decision. Lily should've been a model throughout and dating men closer to her age and dealing with issues that 20-something face. I don't even think they even broached the 'easy' issues relevant to her modeling - like anorexia, drug use, face augmentation, etc.  Now, I'm not talking PSA material, but they could've had Lily confronted with those issues, temptations, and how she overcame them, etc. Instead she ended up with cancer, a surrogacy situation, doppelgangers, and surrounded by a bunch of old people. Lily should've been friends with Abby, Noah, Mariah, which shows the lack of 20-something characters that have been on canvas for a bit.

The bottom line is that while we all claim to love 'vets,' but Y&R is extremely top heavy in that area - especially in 50+ - and that hurts the balance of the show. 

• Members

MY has been EP longer than SSM and KA have ben there. His hands should have been the final ones on everything, so if there are complaints, they should be on him as well, and we know there has been interference straight and along.  

So if MY is letting everyone know when his shows begin, I don't expect much.

Very happy to see Beth Maitland  taped for a full week. She certainly deserves to be in the Dina story. <3

• Members

What bothers me the most about HWG is that Neil and Devon are acting like philanthropists. They're all around good guys trying to make everyone happy with their business. Huh? Last time I checked, businessmen need to be ruthless to stay afloat.

Archived