Y&R: August 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If they let her read h8ers like she did Jordan, I say bring it on! For once, I'd like to see a smart, career-oriented woman make no excuses, apologies or ever say: '[insert sanctimonious male] 'you keep me balanced/grounded when I do bad, bad things.' Enough! Are we back in the 50s (society) or 80s (soaps)? It's hard to believe career WOMEN and not 80 y.o. men are writing these shows. 

Someone needs to run a soap writing workshop and force them to watch every episode of Reign, which stunned me at how strong writing for women characters really can work - even in a setting where women were considered property! 

• Members

I was on the phone with my Mother when she was watching the scenes with Victoria blubbering on the rooftop of the GCAC and my Mother literally could not stop laughing and howled about the poor acting. When I mentioned that AH won an Emmy a few years ago, she laughed even harder. 

• Members

Glad I didn't remember. Had I told my mother she might have gone into a laughing fit then convulsions.

EDT. Is Ben Hochman about to be a recurring character? He gets mentioned an awful lot lately. I thought he and Ashley seemed to play well off each other, at times cordial, at times combative.

I get Kirk and Iva (ATWT) vibes (which we know always gets ruined in the end).

• Members

@DramatistDreamer I thought everyone was exaggerating about AH's performance today. Just opposite - that blubbering scene was so wretched, I felt sorry for MO having to feel that on her neck and shoulders. (Probably not good for her baby!) AH has been quite good since LA reboot - I never thought I'd use those words to describe her acting - but this was so awful if I were director, I would've reshot the scene with Victoria quietly hugging Abby. The only time I can remember Abby getting love from a 'real' Newman spawn and it's this? 

DG was terrible at the exact wrong time - today was a huge peak in his s/l and this?

Even though I'm neutral to warm on CK, she got great writing and delivered. No OTT hysteria, she played her scenes with understated shock and disappointment despite DG sighing and mumbling. 

As I said, it's obvious they're clearing the decks for Mal. Zach getting the phone call exactly after the Sharon scenes - no coincidence there - they didn't even try to hide it. Juliet being exposed to BOTH twins at same time. The entire Cane video secret recealed to everyone in 20 minutes? Think of at least 2 weeks of Billy and/or Victoria holding it over Cane's head, Hilary/Jordan findout, etc. anticipation building until someone unlikely like Phyllis slips and tells Lily, etc. Yep. It's done. 

• Members

Heinle and Goddard were AWFUL today. For these two to have been in the business as long as they have it's ridiculous. So bad. Khalil delivered. I'll give her that.

Really couldn't give two shits about the Crystal story. And of course Nick has to get involved. Isn't he involved in like every story now? When do Victoria and Billy get involved (sarcasm) because the show revolves around them. Seriously, enough of the Victoria and Billy show. I'd have no problem however if it were Heather Tom racking up 17-18 episodes a month as Victoria.

• Members

Today's show was good. Enjoyed the different characters and interactions.

Amelia Heinle wasn't her best showcase, but I don't think it was that awful. I felt sorry for Victoria because I've been there too (not a multimillion dollar company but feeling hopeless and having the weight put on my shoulder)

Don't see how Daniel Goddard was awful today? He did a good job with the scenes, and ditto Khalil. I actually like how they've made Cane into an enemy of Victoria, it adds a much better overall dynamic.

I really like Charlie and think the actor does a good job - also happy that he made a truce with Reed. Also, Reed/Charlie would get much better mileage than Reed/Mattie, just saying...

Enjoyed Billy and Phyllis today for once, the conversation rang truthful.

Also great to see Lauren! She's doing a good job with the Sharon/Scotty stuff and not being too overbearing like Jill was with Billy. I did also like Sharon putting Scott in his place.

• Members

This must never happen lol

Cane vs. Victoria is one of the most organic rivalries to come out of this show in awhile. It's a shame that both actors may not be compelling enough, but I believe if they keep getting good writing/directing, they will be challenged to do better. It's quite ironic when the "stronger" actors are getting more fluff these days, but I'll excuse AH and DG here because they've had subpar writing for years.

Edit: Has anyone checked out Victoria Rowell new show? It premiered July 28th - thread here but no updates. 

• Members

I thought Amelia Heineken was great until the end of her scene with Abby. Going for the big cry, she failed. Before that, she was strong. I blame the director for that fail. Either give the actress notes on playing the scene or change the scene end to a big hug.

Daniel Goddard was fine. Honestly, I don't know what some of you expected Cane to do at that point. Christel Khalil was excellent. She gets a lot of grief on this board, but she's been playing the hell out of Lily.

For me, too, the sex trafficking story is like a PSA. They can't and won't make it as realistic as it should be, so why do it? We'll get a stupid vanilla take on a topic that has no vanilla. We already got the stupid today when Paul ordered all the on-duty police to look for Crystal. Ugh.

Archived