Y&R: Sally Sussman and Kay Alden OUT, Mal Young IN

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I apologize for the mini-rant against whatshisface's comment, but I guess I've been sensitive about ageism, especially against writers, ever since I read an article where both Bill Lawrence and Gary David Goldberg proclaimed how they made a point of hiring exclusively young(er) writers for their shows ("Scrubs" and "Spin City," respectively).  You expect a no-talent douchebag like Lawrence to say he doesn't want older writers on his staff because they might intimidate him (and by "intimidate," he probably meant he didn't want 'em telling him his stories and jokes are puerile), but Goldberg was the surprising one, given the fact that he was no spring chicken himself.

It's possible -- no, make that probable -- that KA quit as a sign of solidarity with SSM against CBS' and Sony's level of interference.

I wish KA wouldn't take this as a sign to get out of the business altogether.  Daytime soaps are circling the drain, but what about shows on primetime and other viewing platforms?  Surely, with most shows these days being so heavily serialized, one of 'em could use someone like KA (or Nancy Curlee)?

• Members

It is.  In fact, as far as daytime soaps (both past and present) go, I'd venture to say Y&R is the nastiest.  From the beginning, it seems, egos have been that particular show's biggest BTS problem.  

• Members

"Sussman's No. 2 on The Young and the Restless writing staff" (Sara Bibel) - DC

I like the SLs SORASING them brought about but they look so odd with CK. It looks like TPTB have been trying to make her (CK) look frumpy, I guess for their scenes together, and it just does not work. For me anyhow. They look too old for CK. I can also see that all three of them are trying to make it work. Bad casting IMO.

• Members

You "think" Sally/Kay had free rein until such-and-such a time then CBS stepped in. You don't know that. It's total speculation on your part. You are compulsively driven to make posters believe you have inside knowledge when you don't. It's pathetic, man. Seriously, you need to take a break from posting, get a reality check. 

Was that the "Shelly" in your head, the one that talks to you and gives you all your inside scoops? The "Shelly" no one else sees or hears but you? Also, who gives a damn when Jean P announced her retirement? Most of the soap world is glad she's gone. You really need some help, dude. 

• Members

You've said some shitty stuff on this board, but I find your comment about Ms. Alden to be a new low for you. If she's lost her "luster," as you so indelicately put it, why would you suggest she go back to B&B? Age has nothing to do with talent. Bill Bell and Agnes Nixon both wrote into their 70s. Finally, how do you know the Chloe reveal was based of CP stuff? Who told you that? Where did you read it? Cite your sources. Seriously, man, you have the right to your opinions, but you can't just make crap up and peddle it as fact. Get a grip. Get a life. 

Archived