Deja Vu: OJ Simpson's Parole Hearing and tomorrow's Daytime schedule

• Members

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2017/07/19/oj-simpson-parole-hearing-watch/491163001/

OJ strikes again in daytime. Due to the media circus, our favorite soaps will once again be affected. I mentioned this in the DAYS thread that this could likely mean Day 2 of Ron C could be potentially moved to Friday. 

Another link details the coverage from the different TV Networks following it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-et-oj-simpson-tv-covers-parole-hearing-20170719-story.html

The TL;DR for the 3 Networks:

NBC: Cutting into programming at 1pm with NBC News Special Report. DAYS preempted

ABC: Same as NBC. GH possibly affected 

CBS (Edit): CBS is cutting into programming for a Special Report. 2nd half of Y&R/B&B affected. Judging by the hearing, The Talk will likely air as scheduled 

How do you feel about OJ preempting Daytime again years later? Do you agree with NBC or ABC cutting into their schedules to cover the parole hearing, or feel like they should've followed CBS and just broke in when they needed to?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ESPN is the driver behind this and then the networks wanted a piece and they have been promoting it constantly for a week. Kind of like CBS constantly cutting for 'urgent' Trump news that's covered on 10 cable stations. The networks are clueless - if we wanted to watch these so-called 'events,' viewers have plenty of options. Guess I better set POP for Y&R/B&B

• Members

I said the same thing on the Politics thread and people got mad awhile back.  Whatever hearings were going on and I said - if I want to watch them there are 80 other stations to watch the hearings on.  There is no commentary from reporters really it's just questions and answers in front of whatever committee or congress.  Nothing is added by ABC, NBC, or CBS for me to specifically want to watch THAT network for a HEARING.  We tune into our programs, not CBS because they have the same hearing on as 80 other stations. 

I thought the same thing about this stupid OJ mess - I didn't watch 5 minutes of his trial the first time around. But I stopped tuning into soaps and whoever said - you're right - it was never the same after that.  I got out of the habit.  I did eventually go back but it wasn't the same.

I've also never heard this but I've wondered why - another factor especially for Guiding Light and As the World Turns was Hurricane Katrina.  New Orleans and the surrounding area - up until the late 90's and early 2000's - Guiding Light and As the World Turns were around #2 and #3 - Guiding Light used to be #1 in that viewership area....but up until the early 2000s was the last time I saw regional ratings reports, and in New Orleans they were still around #2 and #3 each week, sometimes #1.  That is likely thousands upon thousands of people who never went back to watching their shows....some people left and never came back, and when people did come back they had other things to worry about.  I thought of that again when GL did their community service thing during the "Find Your Light" campaign and went to New Orleans for rebuilding projects.  I remember thinking - yeah, that's not a coincidence either....maybe they would have done it anyway, but they knew that area was also a stronghold for them in ratings and they were likely never coming back.   

Archived