SOD Cover "A Whole New Days"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good. Not because I care about Chad and Abby being back together, but because I can't stand Chad/Gabi. I'm hoping Ron doesn't think Gabi is the bestest character to ever grace daytime.

I'm sure after a while Ron will be a complete trainwreck, but right now I look forward to the change in writers.

• Members

Yeah, I'd love to know Drake Hogestyn's take on his character's backstory at this point. He's very devoted to his character and the Jason Bourne-like back story, but it's been rewritten, twisted, and convoluted so many times, I'm not sure even Drake knows the timeline anymore. 

The whole Tony/Andre thing is another one I just can't even wrap my head around any longer and I no longer care. Andre's here, he's not "totally evil" just slightly evil. I'll take it. As long as he doesn't start killing people off and stashing them on islands again. 

I have hope for Carlivati's work, and I love that he brings back the old faves. With any luck, we'll see the returns of people like Christie Clarke, and I could even see him pulling someone out of obscurity like Denise Alexander as Susan. 

• Members

Now THAT is convoluted!!!

Doug and Julie had fallen in love first and had become a soap opera super couple, but after a bad misunderstanding, they broke up and Doug impulsively married Julie's lonely mother, Addie. He was not in love with Addie at first, but grew to care for her deeply as time went on. After Doug and Addie had Hope, Addie died in a tragic accident (saving her baby, actually), and Doug eventually reunited with Julie, whom he married three times.

Writer William J. Bell had always intended for Doug and Julie to be the end game, but what he did not count on was how much the audience grew to cherish Addie. She had originally been something of a cold fish, but her marriage to Doug and bout with leukemia softened her tremendously, and the audience fell in love with her. Bell wanted to go through with his original plan to have D&J get together, however, so he went ahead and killed Addie off...and the fans went berserk. There was a major backlash at the time, and demands that Bell be fired. Even fans that did want D&J to get back together did not want Addie to DIE. They were furious with the show and inundated fan magazines of the day with vitriolic mail.

• Members

It's not like they would know.

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about interesting stories like this that had equally interesting reactions/behind the scenes consequences.

I wonder if he just took the easy way out of the situation by removing Addie as a 'problem'. Maybe he thought Addie dying to save her baby would be a heartbreaking, heroic death and people would say "that's a shame" before accepting Doug/Julie back together.

• Members

He had duped fans into thinking that Addie was going to survive, because after a long battle with leukemia, she recovered and returned to health. Just when fans thought she was safe, Bell killed the character in a traffic accident. He claimed that he was never really going to have Addie die from her illness, because that would be a heartless slap in the face to audience members with sick relatives. Viewers replied, "Well, what about those of us who have had loved ones die in traffic accidents?" They would not let him off the hook, LOL. When she took over as headwriter, Pat Falken Smith said she had to tread gently on the path to D&J's reconciliation.

• Members

Well, he left the show and went over to Y&R, leaving PFS to handle the ongoing stories, so he really did not have to deal with much off the fall-out. And in the end, many if not most of the audience did want D&J to be together anyway, just not at Addie's expense.

The situation reminded me of when Irna Phillips killed off Liz Stewart on ATWT. Phillips had wanted to get rid of the character for years, but the audience LOVED her. When Phillips finally had Liz die (and so stupidly, too), the audience was ready for war. They bombarded the studio with hate mail for a long time. Irna shopuld have known better, after dealing with viewers' fury when she killed off Kathy Roberts on TGL

• Members

Yes. She passed away on her 30th wedding anniversary, after surviving a breast-cancer storyline.

Viewers were not amused.

I have never understood why Bell killed her off. Matriarchs were usually sacred on his shows. He claimed he did it to open up storyline potential for Stuart, which really does not wash. Why not kill off Stuart to open up story for Jennifer? Hmm. Weird.

Archived