Days: July 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

School me on Ron C guys

Everyone is excited and feels he is a good fit that could actually make DAYS interesting again. For someone who's never seen any of his work, what makes his writing worth the fanfare? (I'll seek out his previous work if I can be pointed in the right direction)

I havent watched DAYS since like January so I'm excited to see how he plans to shake things up. DAYS may get its spot back on my DVR

• Members

It moves fast, and he usually likes to use vets.  The only time he didn't was when Frons wouldn't let him.

His first year at OLTL was pretty great, and he told some good stories after that too.  He got me back to watching GH, and I enjoyed most of his first two years there.

He also is a shallow writer obsessed with continuity in a fan way.  His stories often lack depth.  And a writer should respect the history of their show, but sometimes when you continually mine that history you create a huge mess and overly complicate things.  The emotions should be complicated, not the plots.

My biggest gripe at GH was his habit of bringing people back from the dead just to kill them off again.  AJ.  Duke, Frank Smith.

If he loved DAYS like he loved GH, John Black would be the kind of continuity black hole that his show would be devoured by.  

• Members

For me, he isn't dull.  Ever.  But, he is a bit of a cluster-[!@#$%^&*].  I mean, it's great that he uses the vets but he can't, for the life, create newer stories but he knows how to bring the ratings up.  You won't expect, or shouldn't expect, a 'Karen on the Stand' or 'Margo Pulls Casey's Plug' but you will be entertained.  He is more of an 'Independence day' than a '2001: A Space Odyssey'.  Pure sappy entertainment.  Nothing thought provoking but lots of shirtless guys.  Now, his problem is that he gets over his head.  If he, by chance, tells a story that is even Thom Racina good he'll start to try to tell human-condition stories but they will fail.  That is why it's good that he has Sherry Anderson by his side.

• Members

Marlena will be floating over the bed because she's possessed only it will be John in a mask.

Sami will go to the electric chair only it will be EJ in a mask.

Nicole will steal a kid and run off only it will be Brady in a mask.  

Don't take my word...

• Members

I haven't watched anything he's written, but from what I can tell the guy is shallow camp.

However, considering the current show is a borefest shallow camp is, by all accounts, an upgrade. Not the best sort of upgrade - it's a bit like going from a shitty operating system to a less shitty operating system, but it's at least better.

Archived