Would u take back JFP as EP of GH?

• Members

If she brings "ratings galore," then why is she fired every.single.time for bringing down ratings and wasting money on costly sweeps stunts? CBS/SONY got rid of her at Y&R precisely because of that and the overwhelming audience backlash.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Her ratings at YR were 600000 to 1.2 million higher then Mal Youngs. Her YR was doing great revenue. My guess is CBS wanted to try an outsider. So far it hasnt paid off in ratings. One thing is production values have slipped and casting has gone down too.

• Members

Hindsight is 20/20. I'd be more curious to know how far up or down her demos were at the end of her run compared with her predecessor, MAB. That would be what CBS/SONY were perhaps looking at when they fired Phelps. That and the audience surveys.

• Members

Your argument makes no sense. If JFP was pulling such stellar ratings, why would CBS want to upset that just to "try an outsider"? Nets don't gamble with ratings and revenue that way. As for production values, JFP's Y&R didn't hold a candle to Ed Scott's Y&R. The iconic Y&R sound track was jettisoned during her tenure, as was the moody, dark and sensual lighting (Ed Scott lit the show like a film; JFP lit it like a typical ABC soap: harsh, washed out, dull). Casting? Her big hire was Steve Burton, her BFF. 'Nuff said. I'm not saying Mal Young is the EP Y&R needs or deserves, but JFP has destroyed so many soaps during her career that it's laughable to suggest she was better for Y&R than Young. At least Young has focused on the writing. Like SS or not, like the pacing or not, it's more the Bill Bell soap now than during JFP's tenure. It's much more character driven, and stories are more layered. Beats gets played. Characters act like themselves. The craziness of Chuck Pratt is gone. The very fact that JFP brought that hack on board is enough to forever taint her IMHO. I just hope she doesn't wind up at GH or DAYS. The woman's done enough damage to daytime. 

• Members

THIS. People may dismiss production values as a superficiality but imo they are like a lead character on a show like Y&R. The moody, cinematic lighting, lush flowers and furnishings, intense, compelling music all added to and emphasised the quality of the writing. They established the characters as multi dimensional, complex people living in (or sometimes trapped in) their natural habitat. They transported the viewer to another world lol. Ed Scott was a master in this field (and he did wonders for Days too, actors would rave about the detailed, character-driven directing notes he would give them). The fact that he was dumped but someone like JFP (whose bland aesthetic is mediocre at best) continues to be hired -- and is urged by many here to be rehired by another soap --  is flummoxing to me. I don't understand it. How many more soaps must she drive to an early grave before people cotton on to the fact that this EP has no talent? She's a blowhard endlessly tooting her own horn.

• Members

Just a complete lie that production values have slipped. In fact, the OPPOSITE is true.

Under JFP, we'd see the SAME THREE SETS for days on end -- because the woman had budget problems. EVERYONE met at the GCAC or held business meetings there. NO ONE was seen in their office. It was awful and it drove me crazy.

Under Mal, the show looks better than it has since Ed Scott was there.

• Members

Most of these exec changes in the last few years have been about money.  You can bet Jill was higher paid than Mal Young. Mal was brought it when the budget on YR was being slashed.  Just look at the cast.  They lost two big money makers, Justin and Steve, and replaced them with a half a dozen newbies who can't act, and are likely being paid minimum on the actor scale.  They're using fewer sets, the sets re shrinking in size too.  Look at the Chancellor mansion renovation.  Awful.  It looks like a shoebox with tacking consignment furniture.  All the actors minimums have been cut, even Eric Braeden. Even if Jill came back she'd be dealing with a much smaller pot of money.  I don't think she'd be able to improve the show much. Plus CBS wants a whole new generation playing the stories.  I mean they approved the SORASSSSS  of Lily's twins which is the worst decision so far under Sally, makes Cain and Lily look completely ridiculous with their sexual bedroom antics. 

• Members

JFP had 40 years in biz and 11 emmy wins her salary wasnt cheap. She knows how to create drama. Her shows look extremely expensive. Well with ratings slipping of course the budget is going down. Nobody will talk about Mal pitiful ratings his highest ratings were Jills all time lows. Btw Jill had higher ratings then Marias last years at YR. The budget was a mess under Maria. People dont realize what a dissaray production, writing and budget was out of control. Jill came in and got those under control. Jill knows talent in droves she brought Gina, Steve and Justin and Jason T. She knows talent and the current hires stink.

• Members

She brought in Gina for a part she should not have been cast in.  Steve was out shortly after her.  Justin is gone and not coming back.  And people are still complaining about Jason as Billy.  That's a true JFP footprint on a show.  Short term, shortsighted, youth obsessed, and damaging to the legacy of the show.

And until Y&R I never had a real complaint about her production as far as how the show looked.  But Y&R looked not only bad for that show, but bad compared to her last year at GH which was way lower rated.  She did that.  

• Members

First of all that was more Pratt than her.  

Second of all, I've never disputed her ability to spike ratings.  But re-read my post.  It's all short term plans.  Justin was a huge focus of her show.  He's gone.  She spent almost all of Steve Burton's contract trying to make his character work.  He's gone.  What was the investment of the dollars of their contracts or the time of the viewers worth?  Not enough.

Pratt is a trashy writer.  Like McTavish.  Who also was more than capable of spiking ratings.  But within two years her show usually had bottomed out.  Pratt was getting there.

Ron and Valentini raised JFP's GH from the dead and posted the highest ratings in almost a decade too.

Think about this.  If CBS and SONY were so happy with them, why were they replaced?

I hope she never holds a position on daytime again.

• Members

They're using fewer sets? Just. Not. True.

The Chancellor mansion renovation looks great. Smaller? Yeah. It got smaller YEARS ago. 

The show looks great. Try to keep up.

Your JFP WORSHIP is freaking HILARIOUS! 

Please let let me know how "her shows look extremely expensive." Have any examples? Mal's sets are GLORIOUS next to hers.

She did right the ship when first hired, but she was FIRED because of falling ratings. When you mention her high ratings, please include that DOWNWARD TRAJECTORY that led to her pink slip -- along with very unhappy fans.

THIS.

Archived