Characters That Never Got A Proper Send-off

• Members

Thanks I thought I missed it.  I remember and AJ possibly getting back together and then she was gone.  There are a lot of B list GH characters that just disappeared in the 90's : Detective Garcia, recast Gina Cates, Sly Eckert, Dara Jensen, Simone Hardy, Hannah Scott, etc.  I guess if they weren't that popular and not used a lot they just faded away.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lol I would have told you one of her stories was the Justus/Taggert triangle but clearly that was all off screen and I made it up in my head.  I liked Dara. 

Thinking about it 1997 was a bizarre year for GH.  The Pierce Dorman murder story seemed to go through a weird shift.  I can't imagine the original plan was to involve Brenda/Sonny/Jax in a murder story that really involved a character they barely interacted with.  Then Harry, the Tin Man, and Riveria were all working with him and now Sonny has to go on the run and leave Brenda.  Dorman was suing Monica for sexual harassment and running a huge drug operation and somehow Jax is a suspect for being a drug lord?  What a strange story. The Stefan/Bobbie/Luke/Laura/Katherine/Alexis  story seemed to go through several changes as well.  Stefan/Bobbie were dropped and the secret Cassadine sister thing seemed like a rewrite when Miranda didn't work out. The only story I remember working was Carly/Tony/AJ.  I remember being super excited when Guza returned even though I literally hate the Brenda breakdown story I think the rest of 1998 was pretty good except for the silly 2 Macs storyline.

• Members

The Tin Man and the Two Macs were two of the most ridiculous storylines GH had in the late 90s. But you are right about the messy Carly/Tony breakup, the birth of Michael, Carly running out of town due to post-partum depression (Sarah Brown got several weeks off to shoot an indie film), and Bobbie finally learning about Carly being her daughter...those scenes were all electric. I actually liked Brenda's depression storyline (because I was in a dark place in my own life at the time and could relate) - and how after months she spots the man who broke her heart while she was among several women onstage singing and dancing "Big Spender" at the Nurses Ball!!!

• Members

OMG I loved Big Spender at the Nurses Ball.  I loved Karen and Lucy being so supportive of Brenda and I loved the scenes where Sonny and Brenda talk at the penthouse for the first time after she finds out he's back.  They are probably my favorite Sonny/Brenda scenes of all time.  Soo good.

I disliked Brenda's depression because I hated she fell completely apart over Sonny.  I get it but I also think VM wasn't the best at those scenes although I did like some of the quieter ones like when she kissed Jason and spoke to Lily at her grave.  I also thought it was some of Ingo's best work.

The Carly stuff including Jason really carried the end of 1997 and they did really well with the teen scene too.  Gh really peaked in 1993-1996 but by 1998 they were declining.  The show was still decent until about 2005 ( I loved most of 2002). 

On a related note to the thread, I feel like in the 2000's everyone leaving was killed off.  They all got send offs lol. 

• Members

I’m going to say a general family didn’t get a proper send off and that’s The Matthews on Another World. From the beginning they were a core family and spun off some of the most popular characters on the show. I’ve been watching the show via YouTube which has most of 80-81 complete and the way they’re written off is pretty shameful. 

Russ Matthews was played by a great actor and had an interesting wife who they literally had blow up and after appearing in the background for a year he simply moved out of town. His sister Pat was another big character who always had story but she randomly moved out of town because of a book that reveals already publicly known things about her. Then her daughter Marianne, who was successfully recast, was written to go live with her husband out of the country. It just seems short sighted to casually remove them, especially since it meant the family dying completely. Their sister Alice remained here and there but was boggled down by bad recasts and when the original returned for some reason they didn’t keep her. 

• Members

I actually thought Robin should have gave Sonny more hell and been more angry, but I didn't hate the scene. Somehow Robin can walk the line of being good friends to both of them (her cheerleading S&B in 2010 was a little extra though) I really, really loved Jason and Robin back then too.  I hate myself for saying this but it's my favorite Robin pairing.  I liked them more then Stone/Robin and Scrubs.  I was always way sad they went with JaSam when she came back even though it makes perfect sense that Robin had moved passed him.

Weirdly, I was super into Jax and Brenda back then even though S&B are my OTP.  1998 Jax and Brenda was so sweet and awesome and if GH ended tomorrow I wouldn't hate Jax and Brenda as the endgame couple.

• Members

Speaking of GH, did Taggert ever get a real sendoff? It would be so awesome if Real Andrews were to come back and that old rivalry with Sonny was revived. RA and MB had such terrific enemy chemistry - while in real life MB was best man in RA's wedding!! The way Taggert always called Jason "Anger Boy" made me laugh.

• Members

Yes he did ish.  I had to look it up because I couldn't remember.  Scotty painted him as a dirty cop in his run as DA because Taggert had some issues with his shady dealings and forced him to take a job as a cop in Portland, much like GH shipped Claire Walsh off to Alaska when they were done with her.

Good memory!  That was pretty much exactly what happened.

• Members

AW’s Aunt Janet was basically the same character as ATWT’s Aunt Edith. They just had one big storyline and that was having an affair with a married man. Once that storyline was over, their characters didn’t really serve a purpose anymore. Neither one of them had children of their own. They were just the scandalous sister/aunt and that can only last so long. The Matthews family has to be the most disrespected family in soap history. When the show started, there were actually two whole branches of the family on the show. Pretty much every character on the show was a Matthews. By the time the show ended, there may have been one Matthews left (if that). In my opinion, the show was at its best when it was about the Matthews family (1964-1975).