What was the high/low of Jean Passanantes career?

• Members

Honestly Jean Passanante is retiring after 25 years and head writing six soaps. What soap was the high and the low of Jean Ps career?

The highlight: Her current GH tenure imo has been her best. She came in with Shelly when GH was kind of a mess. She elevated it with character driven stories and riveting storytelling ala Morgans death. She also gave the underused NLG her best material in yons. GH is the only soap telling stories. Shes going out on a high.

Her low: All My Children I think was her weakest show. Besides the Bianca coming out there were a few misfires in the Libdizone storyline and the Anna/Alex confusion. Also Gillian was killed off in a way that was controversial. It was clear AMC was not a fit for JP

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think her first couple years at ATWT right after Hogan left were good, but they went downhill after a while. Other than that I thought her AMC and GH were garbage. Her Y&R was actually fine, just boring and it didn't do much damage to the show long term which is good. She still should've never been allowed to be involved with that soap though.

• Members

I think her work has mostly been uninspired on every show.  Her best work, if rumors are true, was as a breakdown writer at OLTL and in the same position at GH.  She is a prime example of someone that should not be given the top spot.  Like SSM.  Probably great on a team, but not as the head.

• Members

Can't speak to Y*R or AMC....and I kind of cringe calling anything I've seen her do as a "highlight" because anything that was good was probably 95 percent the acting/decent scriptwriting and not her lazy assed plotting. That said, I'd probably say the Jen/Gwen babyswitch on ATWT was a highpoint. As unlikely as Jen's three month pregnancy was, she made lemonade out HB's abrupt firing. (of course, my perception was probably clouded by the euphoria, since I hated HB with a contempt as cold as Siberia.)

Low points ATWT---Em the hooker, and any "farce" crappola she wrote. The summer slasher, Rick Decker serial killer, the Keys to the friggin' Kingdom where Em and Chris dry humped in a mattress store (yes, subtly was not in JP's wheelhouse). And lest we forget the horror that was all things Juicy Janet Ciccone related.

GH--I'd say it's pretty much all been crap. The acting sure doesn't help her in most cases. *cough MB and BC cough* I can't think of one story that makes any kind of logical or emotional sense for any of the characters. I DGAFF how much "interference" there is from suits. No matter what asinine thing the character's doing, it's her job to at least give the characters motivation. Instead, there's a whole bunch of recapping what they did---sometimes just minutes after they did it.

• Members

Funny how that story brought in viewers. Not sure if it was because it involved the younger cast or not. Also Luke coming out to Kevin during the same time was a ratings grabber. Go figure on the summer slasher story.

• Members

The lows? The deconstruction of ATWT. I would like to blame it all on her but Chris Goutman deserves part credit for the show going off air.

As the World Turns had great history. Some of the best veterans on it. The history was ignored and changed. The vets were pushed to the background.

I agree with PJ !

One scene that stands out: the overused Katie Peretti did an exercise video. At the premiere Lisa and Nancy were there. Lisa's main line?

"Let's hear it for the BUTTbusters!!" Nancy stands by with a look that says she is imagining Irna Phillips twirling in her grave.

She did turn Y&R into a boring mess. Chuckie Pratt did the hatchet job. Sally Sussman,bless her heart is trying to put it back on course. She is not perfect and has made mistakes.

Everybody wants her head on a platter. I hope she can stick around a little longer!

Archived