Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Amelia Heinle did better this week when she stood up and demanded Juliet end things. She can rise to the occasion but moping over Billy does nothing for me and is beneath the character of Victoria. I just want more fire in her belly. I want range of emotion. She's so flat sometimes it's frustrating.

• Members
2 hours ago, KMan101 said:

Amelia Heinle did better this week when she stood up and demanded Juliet end things. She can rise to the occasion but moping over Billy does nothing for me and is beneath the character of Victoria. I just want more fire in her belly. I want range of emotion. She's so flat sometimes it's frustrating.

+1.

• Members
9 hours ago, StepBack said:

I'm willing to give Greg the benefit of a doubt just because he's been on the show for so long. I don't care for Kevin, but I think the actor should get a decent send off.

No one is saying that the Juliet actress is great, but she's not terrible. I remember when Vail Bloom first started so many people hated her Heather, and then when she was let go everyone wanted her back lol.

I'm going to give Amelia Heinle the benefit of the doubt. She is a low energy actress, but she's selling this story pretty well. There is improvement, and rather than nitpick her every move, I'll give her some kudos. I haven't been interested in Victoria in years, and I blame 60% of that on the writing.

Scott is horrible. I like the other guy Abby is talking to for the start up, but he's clearly a creep (but I guess that's usually the way it goes)

I don't mind Victor or Eric Braeden. As long as they don't overwrite Victor, I think he should be here until Y&R final curtain. Love or hate the man, but he is the fabric of Y&R and I don't think the soap has more 10 years in it.

When it comes to Jill, I think it has to do with Jess Walton. She is semi-retired, non?

If Dina and Jill don't share scenes before Dina "leaves" then I'll be terribly disappointed.

I see a lot of things finally materializing. Did you watch Y&R back in the day? Because, there was never really stories, but more characterization. So if you are bored now, you would have been bored then. You also probably don't watch Games of Thrones who also goes long stretches without telling a specific story.

Lastly, Y&R has a budget. They can only do so much. It's also summer, this is what I've always remembered on Y&R. Summer is about teens, teen angst, and singing.

I've been watching Y&R since about 1988 so that answers that question and there were plenty of stories. And no I don't watch Game of Thrones but what the hell does Thrones have to do with Y&R?  

So Jack marrying Nikki to get back at Victor on the same day that Victor was intending to propose to Nikki wasn't a story? And then Victor making a deal with Jack that he'd give the Abbotts full control of Jabot if he stayed away from Nikki and the kids forever wasn't a story? Or on the day that Nikki is about to tell Victor that she will leave Jack for him she finds out she's pregnant - that's not a story?  And then Nikki falling off her horse, having a miscarriage and getting addicted to alcohol and pain meds wasn't a story? WHAT?  Let's go to the Winters family - there were no stories there? Is that the claim lol? 

If you disagree or just love Sally that's fine, but lets not pretend that there were never really stories during the Bill Bell era. There are full episode clips from that era in the Classic Y&R thread for your viewing pleasure that prove otherwise. 

8 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

Just WOW. Your 2 long rants are something else. I just don't feel we're watching the same show, and you have so many complaints, I have no clue what you want to see or what would please you. Do you enjoy ANY television shows at all?

i know I'm wasting my time going into detail on all I disagree with, but take your point number 1. That's not even true. There's NOT music on every episode and singers have NOT been shoved down our throats.

Aside from the full song with the montage closing an ep last week, we've been given snippets of music, and that's it. Anyone watching every day knows that.

And I'm no fan of Tessa, but the actress playing her is not homely.

i think there ARE actual stories on Y&R and I think the dialogue is not only NOT atrocious, but that it's fine.

i don't like the GC Buzz stuff, but the Brash & Sassy stuff has worked. We don't need all these characters running around the same two halls at Newman and Jabot. Seriously, who cares how frickin small the B&S office is?

i also think you're WAY off base in accusing actors of making no effort and of phoning in their performances. Where you're getting that I have no clue.

Your 2nd rant? Forget it. I'm exhausted.

Sure. There's a bunch of tv shows I have enjoyed - VEEP, The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Carmichael Show, Fargo....what do any of those shows have to do with my dislike of current Y&R?

There is entirely too much singing. Even the snippets of music is too much frankly. 

I wasn't talking about the actress playing Tessa, I was talking about the character. But if you think it's riveting for Nikki to spend her once a week scenes counseling some boring moping street kid and playing Casio keyboard in a dirty bar - by all means lol. 

I care how small the B&S office is. The entire premise of B&S being in the basement of Jabot was stupid, and yes the fact that it's a terribly cramped set just adds to the reason why Brash & Sassy doesn't work. 

I'm getting my opinion on people phoning in their performances from actually watching the show. It'll be fun watching actors (besides maybe Greg and MCE) struggle to find anything worthwhile to submit for Emmy consideration at the end of this year. They shouldn't even waste their time frankly. Also let's not act like a ton of people in the cast haven't been bitching on Twitter and Instagram and very few have been overly enthusiastic about anything on the show in the last 6 months. 

No comment on the Y&R ratings/demos and Sally's difficulties with it or her needing a co-HW? I figured. Look, I never had much faith in Sally anywhere. She's pretty much failed every place she was given a solo HW position (JFP even fired her from Hollywood Heights) but I was hopeful that she'd write an interesting show and perhaps turn things away from the ugly ugly downslide that started for Y&R ratings and demo-wise in September and October. She hasn't actually managed to do one positive thing in terms of viewers or demos and that's because again it's a boring show where nothing happens.

There are so many people saying this is classic Y&R and this is just like the old days of Y&R (I frankly think that is an insult to Bill Bell but if we're going with that)....am I to understand that people think it's a good thing for a show, in 2017, to be written the same way it was written in 1989? 

Edited by Vizion

• Members
1 hour ago, Vizion said:

I've been watching Y&R since about 1988 so that answers that question and there were plenty of stories. And no I don't watch Game of Thrones but what the hell does Thrones have to do with Y&R?  

So Jack marrying Nikki to get back at Victor on the same day that Victor was intending to propose to Nikki wasn't a story? And then Victor making a deal with Jack that he'd give the Abbotts full control of Jabot if he stayed away from Nikki and the kids forever wasn't a story? Or on the day that Nikki is about to tell Victor that she will leave Jack for him she finds out she's pregnant - that's not a story?  And then Nikki falling off her horse, having a miscarriage and getting addicted to alcohol and pain meds wasn't a story? WHAT?  Let's go to the Winters family - there were no stories there? Is that the claim lol? 

If you disagree or just love Sally that's fine, but lets not pretend that there were never really stories during the Bill Bell era. There are full episode clips from that era in the Classic Y&R thread for your viewing pleasure that prove otherwise. 

Sure. There's a bunch of tv shows I have enjoyed - VEEP, The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Carmichael Show, Fargo....what do any of those shows have to do with my dislike of current Y&R?

There is entirely too much singing. Even the snippets of music is too much frankly. 

I wasn't talking about the actress playing Tessa, I was talking about the character. But if you think it's riveting for Nikki to spend her once a week scenes counseling some boring moping street kid and playing Casio keyboard in a dirty bar - by all means lol. 

I care how small the B&S office is. The entire premise of B&S being in the basement of Jabot was stupid, and yes the fact that it's a terribly cramped set just adds to the reason why Brash & Sassy doesn't work. 

I'm getting my opinion on people phoning in their performances from actually watching the show. It'll be fun watching actors (besides maybe Greg and MCE) struggle to find anything worthwhile to submit for Emmy consideration at the end of this year. They shouldn't even waste their time frankly. Also let's not act like a ton of people in the cast haven't been bitching on Twitter and Instagram and very few have been overly enthusiastic about anything on the show in the last 6 months. 

No comment on the Y&R ratings/demos and Sally's difficulties with it or her needing a co-HW? I figured. Look, I never had much faith in Sally anywhere. She's pretty much failed every place she was given a solo HW position (JFP even fired her from Hollywood Heights) but I was hopeful that she'd write an interesting show and perhaps turn things away from the ugly ugly downslide that started for Y&R ratings and demo-wise in September and October. She hasn't actually managed to do one positive thing in terms of viewers or demos and that's because again it's a boring show where nothing happens.

There are so many people saying this is classic Y&R and this is just like the old days of Y&R (I frankly think that is an insult to Bill Bell but if we're going with that)....am I to understand that people think it's a good thing for a show, in 2017, to be written the same way it was written in 1989? 

My issue with B&S started in the very beginning when it had 3 CEOs doing the work that low level employees did. They could have hired some of the younger cast members to work there to give it a more legit feel. But as things stand, it comes across as exactly what it is. Some plot point to push the pairings and rivalries the show wants to feature. It's much like GC buzz that way. 

• Members
55 minutes ago, MoTheGreat said:

I just throw up in my mouth when Chelsea & Nick just kiss.

Nick needs to go back to the coffeehouse & bring Noah along with Mariah. That would be their little family business.

Mariah needs to be running the coffee house..or at least being a manager trainee.  Her snarky and cynical personality would fit in perfectly...nust like when Jana helped run the coffee house back in the day.

Mariah working at GB Buzz and dating Devon...doesnt work.  Mariah and Hilary as frenamies...works..imho

• Members
4 hours ago, ajsp35801 said:

My issue with B&S started in the very beginning when it had 3 CEOs doing the work that low level employees did. They could have hired some of the younger cast members to work there to give it a more legit feel. But as things stand, it comes across as exactly what it is. Some plot point to push the pairings and rivalries the show wants to feature. It's much like GC buzz that way. 

+1

I was so happy when Jack evicted them and hated they got around that.

2 hours ago, MoTheGreat said:

I just throw up in my mouth when Chelsea & Nick just kiss.

Nick needs to go back to the coffeehouse & bring Noah along with Mariah. That would be their little family business.

Yep

Although I don't mind Noah bartending at the dirty bar Nick owns, but Nick should have bought the coffee house back instead of opening that dive bar and Noah should be slinging coffee

• Members
13 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

Jesus Wept.

2 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

Goddard's whispery dramatic voice 

Please register in order to view this content

IKR?  That gets on my muthafuckin nerves.  Speak the f.uck up!