Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I am too. At first I didn't like the way Sussman was writing her, but she's settled into the new Victoria nicely. I like her relationships with everybody and she's finally looking and feeling like an actual business woman. Even the stuff with Phyllis is interesting. I have no problems with Victoria right now.

As for the Billy poll, I find that very odd. They usually do surveys about the characters, but never just one. To me the only Billy worth watching is David Tom, but Jason Thompson works perfectly in the role. They are the only two BIlly's in my mind.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys are convincing me into actually NOT FFing through AH's scenes.

What's the survey about?

Please register in order to view this content

What are they asking? I still can't picture JT as Billy. Sorry but Billy is supposed to be younger and blonde in my mind.

• Members

Do you know Billy? Pick him out this line up? How familiar are you with him as an actor? Pick the soap he was on before this one? Do you like his look? Does he add to your enjoyment? Is he better or worse than BM? Explain. Is he better or worse than BuJ? Explain. Do you like his triangle? Do you like his relationship with Reed? Does he need more or less airtime? Etc. 

• Members

I'm a huge anti-AH - mainly because she sleepwalks through scene. However I've noticed her performance has been far stronger since LA.

Frankly Y&R pulled a stealth reboot with Dina, Philly and LA. I hope it continues because SSM's original version, while watchable, was boring and not must-watch. Until recently, if I watched a random episode, I never felt compelled to tune-in tomorrow....not good for a soap! 

• Members

I don't disagree with the 2nd part.

which begs the question (and I wish I wasn't, to be honest):

Who's version of Y&R are we (or rather a few extra posters) enjoying a little bit more? 

Sally Sussman? Are we simply seeing a clicking of some of the various components she set in motion from roughly December 7th 2016? Such as Neil and Sharon being more of their old selves, and Jack, Nikki and Ashley undergoing somewhat of a public analysis, Gloria and Ravi being somewhat employed to that effect. Cane's inferiority complex being played more and Victoria's partiality towards Billy. Each leading to that 'click' in the month of May.

Mal Young? Who I have read has a step daughter who looks like the character, Tessa. Young, who's wife is a musician, and I've seen people attribute the introduction of 'European Bohemian-looking characters' like Reed and Scotty Granger to. And his own dramatic sensibilities can be sensationalistic-leaning. Who has declared his love for both Mariah and the pairing of Billy and Phyllis.

Or any number of the CBS/SONY executives who, it seems, initially got a real kick out of Charles Pratt Jr's vision of the show and may (now) be partial to the stunts and heightened drama? The word being that they may have mandated changes and the playing of certain stories.

• Members

Both Jill and John have brown hair, why would Billy come out blond? Dina is the blond and she isn't related to Billy. JT's Billy looks like he could actually be the son of Jess's Jill.

I do agree that Billy should've been younger. But at least JT seems younger than Burgess Jenkin. His affair with Phyllis also makes Billy seem older. I know she was recast younger, but Phyllis is not a young character, and they aren't writing her like she's the older woman in the relationship.

Billy's Miller's Billy had advantage over JT Billy with the writing too. Miller was written with Jill and Kay at first, picking up where he left off as a kid. So he had a historical base and all viewers understood where he came from. They had Jill cry over JT's Billy for a few days then she disappeared. To those who don't know the show very well you'd think he was Jack's full brother, or sometimes even his son. When they re-cast they should re-establish. Instead he was thrown into a storyline having sex with his brother's wife. I can see how viewers might not like this Billy. Writing wise I don't either, but I'm fine with the actor ( minus those white shoes).

I can't imagine another Billy re-cast, and why would they want to bring back BM knowing he'd rather not work in soaps, and wants his outs to audition for something better? I like JT as Billy, I don't see a problem with him, but then again I'm not watching everyday.

• Members

His not Billy to me either. JT is a good actor but he will never be Billy in my eyes. When DT played Billy he did have dark/dirty blond hair unless you are confusing him with Nicholas who was blonde until JM took over the role. I saw a pic of Alden all grown up and he still has the blond hair and could easily pass as Nikki's son. Too bad he is out of the acting business.

• Members
@UK LAW I doubt it's SSM's version now, but a combo with CBS/Sony definitely involved after the sharp rating drop both on CBS & POP. You mention Sharon and Neil bu they are barely supporting at this point. Both needed a major reset and I wholeheartedly appreciate the work done there. The Victor reset bombed. 

All I know is that no less than 12 new/SORAS'd characters have been added in 6 months and only a couple are worth watching. Juliette is the only one who has a compelling presence. Scott Ravi and Jordan are lackluster. The teen set/twins - were desperately needed but I'll reserve judgment until after summer. Tessa has moments with Nikki  - I'd love for her to get hot and heavy with Noah but then secretly creep with Devon since he'll be signing her. 

Archived