Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Absolutely, I respect your opinion and I am happy you guys enjoy them -- I apologize if I seemed to imply otherwise. Maybe I will change my mind. After all, I have seen them only once or twice since I've tuned back in.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No it's all good, I respect yours as well. It's cool if you don't care for them. I don't think they're super great or anything but I'd rather watch them than their lame parents LOL and I could take or leave the teens. I think Mattie has potential (she seems whiney when with her parents but I like the potential). Not sure what they're trying to accomplish with Charlie besides stereotypical hothead. Reed got on my ever loving nerves but now that he's only on a few times a month and around Mattie he seems much more tolerable. I agree they're all very green but I see some potential. Time will tell I guess LOL

• Members

Yeah, I think the show has seen worse teen scenes, that's for sure.

One thing that I wish they would do with Charlie and Mattie is giving them some quality scenes with their parents. You can't expect to over-SORAS two kids and have the actors who play their parents immediately click with them. When I see Lane & the kids in a scene together, I honestly see 4 people who barely know each other and do their best to pretend they don't lol. Now add the fact that they barely include them in the same shot (given CK's young looks and all), and it's a recipe for disaster. 

Oh and please give Goddard the memo:

- an actor should not whisper through an entire show

- an actor should not use his hands that much, that way!

• Members

Agree about the teens. Reed is better developed and defined but I think that's primarily cause he's been on longer and came in with no other teens to interact with so his story was with adults, which helped his depth. 

Mattie and Reed are better written but Charlie is just there to play obstacle/angst/bully. 

Thinking about what can be done for that Tessa/Devon/Mariah/Noah group. It just dawned on me that Devon has been hanging with those characters a full 3 months and he STILL has not reestablished his friendship with Noah. So I will say a start would be to allow each character to develop their own dynmic with each other. That allows for more beats to play when fall out occurs and richer story. I think that the Dina story works so well precisely cause this occurs. That orbit has so many interesting relationships that it's fun to watch them play off each other. I don't mind Gloria because she is not centered nor is she in every scene Jack has nor is she around speaking for him...unlike Mariah. 

Unrelated but...where is Lauren? Shouldn't she be around those Jabot offices and story over there. Not necessarily Dina but other things.  

• Members

I don't think they play Mariah as Cassie. If they did, she'd have relationships with the Newmans and she doesn't. I think the lack of those ties might be why they have such an issue finding a place for her to fit. She's written as Sharon's daughter only. 

• Members

@cassadine1991 Once Julie Chen 'told' Hilary to treat Mariah better, it's clear that was a shift from the ridiculous Mariah/Hilary nonsense- they've had very few scenes together. There was no reason why Hilary should be jealous of Mariah and the rivalry didn't work. Both actors were very uncomfortable with the negative scenes. Unlike Hilary/Lily - MM/CK are totally alive when they are sniping. 

But in reality doesn't every character, except Jack, try to make Hilary seem 'bad'? Everyone is judging her and criticizing her. Somehow her being ruthless in work makes her unworthy of love. MM is a star and they need to be comfortable with making her strong, unapologetic and business savvy. 

• Members

That's true, but we're talking about the way her character/personality was morphed & adjusted to the point it almost seems like we're watching an adult Cassie. The more fun, sarcastic, fυck-this kind of Mariah is not really there much. She was her own person (which is why I accepted the usually loathed previously-unknown twin scenario), and back then, if you'd put her with the Newmans, you'd never mistake her for Cassie.

• Members

Big agree! It's sad. At least I cared about Cassie.

I'm also a bit biased about CG. I used to love her, then I saw a live chat she did with SC. She came across so full of herself, and she kept interrupting SC while never apologizing. lol I know I shouldn't judge but I couldn't help it.

OMG Saint Devon is first on that list! I wish Hillary would cut him loose.

No one would blink if a male host were as 'ruthless' as Hillary. I know for a fact nobody has called out Jack and Victor for being ruthless businessmen per se.

Archived