Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Remember how we all complained about JW's hair last time around?  She looked really good this time around. She and MA have been doing the bangs just the right way.  I wish some of the veteran actresses would consider some type of bangs, even sideswept ones or even a change of 'do.

That question of why Jill/Phyllis doesn't work is a good one and I feel it too. Not to belabor that line that I picked apart a few days ago about Jill telling Phyllis that "I used to be you" ringing hollow because Jill was never Phyllis. I hope that TPTB are not trying to set these women up as mirror images because I don't see it.  Jill could be cunning and manipulative but she was never suspected of running down someone or blowing up a lab somewhere. These two have very little in common besides the fact that maybe they are smart and proficient women who've both bedded Jack.

I couldn't figure out whether TPTB were trying to play those kitchen scenes between Billy and Phyllis for laughs with those jump cuts. Jump cuts in film normally implies some type of comedy or absurdity afoot.

Gloria's eye popping is getting into tic category. A little bit goes a long way with this character. She's been enjoyable in small portions but I don't want her character tentacles to spread into extra screentime in different storyline directions.

Cane being 'up against it' has been the most interesting this character has probably ever been. I agree that it is unlikely that Juliette will carry to term but the damage will have already been done between Cane and Lily. I go back and forth with my feelings on Lily's chemistry with her teenage kids.  I wonder whether CK getting that haircut is a quiet way of rebelling since she now looks younger with shorter hair.  Just a week and a half ago, I noticed that, with longer hair, she was being styled more matronly (e.g. that updo they gave her). Maybe it's just me, but I saw the haircut as a reaction to that.

• Members

I don't see Juliet carrying to term either but you never know ... lol. I am growing to like the actress playing Juliet but I feel the character is being treated as a throw-away when she has some potential.

I agree on Khalil's shorter hair, she looked more mature and older with the longer hair. I wonder how she really feels playing mom to teenagers who look like her contemporaries?

Jess's hair was great. She just looked so healthy and fantastic. I hope no one takes this the wrong way because Jess was never 'heavy' but I feel like she lost some weight or is in better shape and it shows in her face. She just looks fabulous. Agreed on the bangs.

Agreed on Phyllis/Jill. They're SO not alike. I wanted to eat up their scenes but I couldn't. It's sort of hard to care when Phyllis is being set up to look like the loser (and she knows it) because Billy will run panting back to Victoria the minute she lets him back in. There's no story here because we know how it ends.

+1

It's a shame Juliet is being treated as a throw-away character. I agree that Hilary will have Juliet to deal with. Still not fond of how they write Hilary. It's so up and down and it's hard to know when she's being genuine.

• Members

I agree. I think the stylists were trying to style her more matronly a few weeks ago, in an attempt to make her look older (when's the last time we saw Lily wear jeans??). When CK cut her hair, without question she looks even younger now, taking off length usually has that effect with women. I noticed there were no side by side shots with the kids today.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Jess herself has said that she's lost weight over the last two years. She is someone who carries her weight in her face and her hips, and both are looking fabulous. Her hair looks perfect. The perfect update on the 1990s "Jill Hair" that so many of us love. 

• Members

I'll never buy 29 yo CK as mother to 16 yo. However, I like the actress who plays Maddie a lot and it's working with Reed; Charlie not at all - he's just bad. 

The clearly have been reworking the Dina story, which explains the stall. I'm guessing it was Alzheimer's and based on positive reaction, it's switched. Now we see Graham drawn to The Worm, which is another turn, but I'm fine with it. JC in small focused doses works, but only when she is meant to be funny. The contrast between her malicious steam with Ben and her far more human steam with Graham. 

Again Ashley and Jack have been so much better and closer to both characters' personalities in years. Contrast now to awful/hateful Jack and cold/bitter Ashley. The change also plays to PB/ED's strengths. 

Moving Mariah to Tessa and Hilary to Juliet much better. Just give me a few more Lily/Hilary scenes, please! 

• Members

Also thought this was highly probable.  I do not want it though. I never liked Vikki mothering Billy's cheat baby. Don't want to see Lily mothering Cane's. 

It's frigging ridiculous! He can't have a scene in this music story without her around sucking up all the air. Watch her be made into Tessa's manager or some other nonsense to give her a legit reason to be more prominent than she should be in Devon's business. Mariah is running neck and neck with Gloria and Scott of the many back stories and jobs in being unnecessarily shoehorned in. 

• Members

THANK YOU!!!! EXACTLY!!!

As for the rest of rlj's post, 2006 was not the last time Nick has been after Sharon. There was the time when Sharon was dealing with her 3 Daddy storyline in what 2010/11 and Phyllis lost her S&*# and almost went back to old school Phyllis. And then there was the fact they were about to get married when Phyllis came out of her coma. So I am sure I'm not pulling anything out of thin air when it comes to Nick/Sharon in terms of feeling that would result in him getting caveman when she is into another guy...which HE HAS. Any time Adam was with her. And I'm sure he did mark a little of 'the territory' when pre-Dylan.

I liked this week mostly and I ran home each day to see what would happen next (and I want Jill's reaction to the baby news), but the end of it was a letdown. It did not at all seem like Dina's story was going to be what it is now with graham and the will. It feels like the sexual harassment is over. So the ending of the two major storylines feels jarring to me even as they shift into the next phase of what they are going to be...if that makes sense.

And sadly I was right about who pops up next week...

• Members

@Taoboi who pops up next week?

Please register in order to view this content

I enjoyed most of this week. I also enjoyed you guys's posts over here. I've read so many interesting comments. Thank you!

I can't wait for Chelsea to GO. They're clinging to her because she has Adam's spawn I think. I wish they would recast her. And re-name the character. And give her some personality and backbone. Basically I wish Chelsea was forgotten LOL.

I have to say that even though the numbers are falling (? I've heard that a lot) the show looks expensive. The sets look spacious and glorious. You get a cool mix everyday of new sets, lots of characters interacting. Even the GCAC and CL do not look deserted any more. You get real songs in the background. They have obviously hired consultants for the legal storyline. Makes me think the show is not doing that bad money wise!

ETA: Phyllis spraying whipped cream into Billy's mouth was cringe-worthy. I remember when sex scenes were so well prepared on the show that even how they used food would turn you on LOL. I remember Malcolm feeding Drucilla strawberries with whipped cream, in a romantic setting he had arranged, it was all kinds of sexy. Now... ugh. And I'm sorry to be beating a dead horse, I know MS was obnoxious in her later tenure but in her glory days Phyllis oozed sexuality. FauxPhyllis, as gorgeous as she is... not so much.

Archived