Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I still think that CAsh could work. DG/ED has chemistry but the story was abandoned when ED was traded to DAYS. Honestly, if the goes VAsh, I'd be fine with that. There's so much history there and EB/ED has always had a natural chemistry. 

I believe we have all the pieces to determine that Graham is Dina's son - the clearly non-intimate relationship; Graham's parents haven't a sudden split; Graham being from an unknown Midwestern city; the will; it would be great if his father was Brent Davis, making Ash/Graham full siblings. 

Does anyone know how long JW is scheduled for this time? I'm fine if they rotate Nikki/Jill/Dina keeping two on canvas while one takes a break. Throw in The Worm and it's awfully crowded with mature ladies. I'd rather have substantive stories for each rather than all 4 on canvas and in background. 

@DramatistDreamer You are so right about Dina/Jill bringing Lisa/Lucinda vibes. I hope we get to see more. As I said a few weeks ago, MA really fills the void left by JC. What's even better is that Dina is not some made up retcon character - she is steeped in Y&R 'real' history. It's crazy she first appeared 34 years ago! And MA has been the only actor to play her.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mal's use of outdoor shooting is certainly lifted from his time at the BBC - but it's no different from what B&B does and what DAYS used to do (the Salem Place set was way ahead of its time) - but the UK soaps started the concept of outdoor shoots for day to day scenes. 

Otherwise, Mal has stayed very close to whatever mandate he's been given by Sony/CBS. The challenge with American soaps is that they're set in so many places that outdoor shooting like a UK soap is impossible. Eastenders and Coronation Street are both centred on a single residential area (square or street) where most of the action takes place.

But the Jill's legs out of the convertible doors in high heels is straight out of Coronation Street. Any time a legendary female character returns, you can bet you're going to see her legs or shoes. 

• Members

That was my impression too! I'm fairly positive we are right.

I am actually enjoying Gloria right now!

I thought JW was much more enjoyable this time. However, I cannot stand see Jill spend her whole day pimping either Lane or Villy! It's embarrassing to watch.

You nailed exactly why I've enjoyed Gloria recently.

As for Cane, there are people in real life who do not have any friends, they're all about their spouse (sigh) or anyone who could be of use. I think Cane should be one of those. The more miserable he is, the more I enjoy him lol.

Only difference is that Mal's outdoor scenes are ugly IMHO. They're either too white or too saturated. There is a problem with the lighting. And don't get me started on the hideous CGI green table cloth in the outdoor cafe...

• Members

The one time where I really thought it actually worked was in those daylight post car crash scenes with Devon.  The streaks from the glaring light of day beaming down on Devon's trapped body and pained expression highlighted the intensity of the situation.

• Members

Well if the show wrote it that Lily wad embarrassing her kids due to her youthful wardrive and attitude...that would be realistic and relatable.  Or having her try to act with it and her kids rolling their eyes....but the show won't do that sadly.

• Members

ITA on the beginning and ending statement. However Jill & Colin really drives me crazy. Why is Jill still with Colin? Jill needs to cut the umbilical cord with her son's! I could like Jill if she talked to her son's like adults & not screeching at them. We need strong women on soap's.

What is everybody take on Julia? It's like there is zero chance that she might have slept with anyone else. It's just getting old for this viewer. Then Hilary egging her on...I won't even comment.

Archived