Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Ok references to 'classic' Y&R, I remember when I was younger and Y&R would be on, my joke was that every scene was some dramatic entrance like: 

Jill storming Katherine's living room:

Close-up on Jill hissing 'Katherine!'

Close-up on Katherine spitting: 'Jill!'

back to long close-up on Jill with angry face then back to longer close-up on Katherine with clenched jaw and long fade to commercial. 

And 'nothing' happened. It was just a bunch of beautiful people who had all these long dramatic beautifully filmed scenes (Y&R really captured elegance and class), with not much new dialogue or action for long stretches with usually very well done payoffs. 

Of course, it's an exaggeration, but it was my perception of the show for a long time growing up. I still loved it - I got hooked right after they flushed out the piano playing and brought the Abbotts full force.

That was a different era. All I'll say is that the LA reboot has been a tremendous step towards the post-Pratt show I was hoping to watch again. It really did take 6 months. It's not perfect, but I'm cautiously optimistic. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was not impressed with Monday's show. I think the problem was that they featured too many 'newbies'.

I can't stand Chelsea. She does not have a distinctive personality and I HATE the way the actress speeds through her lines. Veteran Y&R actors, especially those trained under the Bell era, they put focus on single words. The Chelsea actress, on the other hand, has a whole different style and it's annoying.

Devon bores me to death. I cannot buy him as a businessman. It's ridiculous. So apparently he gave Tessa a new contract where everything was legit, he was not going to suck the life out of her, no caveats etc. What businessman does that?

Mariah has become so much like Cassie it's ridiculous. 

Where did Tessa come from anyway? I wasn't watching.

The lighting at the open air cafeteria or whatever that place is, is HIDEOUS. It's either too white (Hey, Cane!) or too saturated (Victor's neck was basically orange).

On Monday's you had several characters popping up mid-episode much like old school Y&R! Gloria & Graham appeared ten minutes in. Hilary appeared in the second half of the episode.

Nick's character needs some major rethinking. What's his aspiration in life now? He spends the whole day walking around and gossiping. Maybe he could start some rivalry of sorts with Scott for his role at Newman Enterprises.

• Members

Y&R breezes through things that could take months, yet they drag out essentially pointless things like "Who is Graham?"

Some new aspects of the show remind me of the older years, while others seem cheap and tacky enough to come out of Days.

• Members

The show definitely does benefit from having the founding Foster family represented on the canvas. Some commentators have tried to argue otherwise, just to be contrary, but Jill's value to the series is clear.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

+1

I agree.  I just saw the fainting scene. And I thought she did a good job, subtly hinting she was not feeling well.

And yes, I like her voice. SOmeone mentioned that she had a classic Y&R look and I agree with that. I feel she has been added organically and while not major, pleasing.

That was like I liked about Nick when I was younger. The fact that he wanted to branch out...that he wanted to make something of himself by starting Crimson Lights and its branches. He strived for his own independence. I would love to see him do that again.

Well...that has been hinted re: Scott. You just know that Nick will have to 'mark his territory' aka Sharon with Scott.

• Members

LOL right? Yeah, that's what I liked too. He strived to build Crimson Lights and get a life besides NE. However nowadays he's filthy rich, he bought that tacky Underground place, supposedly made it successful... then what? What's left for him? I don't necessarily want to see him at N.E. again, but they should definitely do something with him. I wouldn't mind him becoming a stripper to follow on her mother footsteps. Honestly his body is all he's got going. And you just know Nick's such a narcissist he would love the attention. LOL

Archived