Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The show was notorious for re-using story during that time. Hilary came on seeking revenge for her mother against Neil and not 4 months later Austin came on with the exact same backstory and story. I think it's happenstance that Tyler and Leslie ending up leaving before stitch and Kelly. But I do see why you feel that way. 

Why does any WOC leave after her pairing fails with Neil? But in Leslie's case, she was just demoted back to a low episode recurring character. The others prior to her didn't get that. They were just fired. 

When they paired Kelly with Jack, her fate was sealed. I knew she'd go crazy. 

• Members

Didn't someone tied to Marco kill Kelly? IDK... The writing was so half-assed during that time, I doubt whomever was writing then could tell you. 

I didn't mind Kelly at all until it was obvious they had her/Stitch reuse the recent backstory of Leslie/Tyler. That just forced me to believe the show was keeping them b/c they were White and easier to assimilate into the canvas.

I did think that Kelly had potential early on, but they blew it when they made Stitch her brother. I always felt that the "secret" they were hiding was that Stitch accidentally caused the death of her child (in a medical manner), and Kelly was gonna smear his name b/c of it.  

I get that show is notorious for using stories over and over again, but this time it didn't go unnoticed by me. We had just wrapped Tyler/Leslie's arc involving their mother, and they were doing the same mess again with Kelly/Stitch. 

But to answer your 2nd question, this show no longer invests in WOC or people of color in general.

Poor Neil is just wallpaper and has been since 2006 when Dru was killed off.

Devon is drab when he should've been made a playboy and a hot mess after inheriting all that money from Katherine.

Lily is a damn old maid.

Jordan is eye candy, and is still underdeveloped as a character. I still don't care for him after all this time when I want too. We know nothing about him except he had a past with Chelsea, which hasn't been explored since.

Hilary is utilized, but she gets nothing outside of being a gossip and bitchy. We don't get to see her hardly ever be vulnerable or establish friendships. Some of the bitchiest vixens in daytime were complex and had friendships. Dorian (on OLTL) had Edwina. Lisa (on ATWT) had a close friendship with Kim. Erica (on AMC) had Opal. Yes, Hilary has a 'friendship' with Jack but we hardly ever see it. She's so damn isolated. It doesn't help either that the show totally forgot that she and Sharon were once close too. 

• Members

Summer should have never been Nick's past the first 4 years of her life. That was a MAB fail. 

+1

All this is true, which why I've found myself watching less and less. This turn of that Juliet story to center Hilary as the main antagonist/villainess (one that lacks clearly defined motives) doesn't appeal to me. Why they continue to do this to MiM, who has earned better, is beyond me.  

• Members

Honestly, I don't even care for Juliet's story. Only thing I am enjoying about it is that Cane can't be his normal, sanctimonious self. But I do hate that Hilary is gonna fall on the sword when it all goes down, and Cane will be made some poor martyr. 

Please register in order to view this content

Plus, I am NOT here for this story catapulting poor Jordan into Lily's orbit when we've all heard the tales/rumors of CK (allegedly) not wanting a Black love interest. 

• Members

Well, if the options are lily or hilary being stuck with jordan, I'll choose Lily since they have better chemistry. And that's saying something since we know of her rumored preferences.  I'm not sure what's going on with mim, who usually pops with everyone, but she has no chem with DK. A few weeks ago they kissed at GC buzz and it looked like they both hated it. Which is just as well since a Hilary/Jordan pairing means nada. Pointless. 

Archived