B&B - June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Whoever posts once in a while - Rena Sofer is such a great actress - she makes everyone around her better!  (I laugh my as* off).  She is HORRIBLE.  I saw her on Another World, and she was OK then.  but something happens to people when they come on this show.  I saw scenes with Thorsten Kaye when he was on whatever show.  They weren't this bad.  This writing completely sucks.  And who is Directing because there could be an issue there also.  The writing is horrible, but I think the Production of B&B is the best on Daytime Soaps by far.  But the Writing and Direction are horrible and so is alot of the acting on this show. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, this show is utterly beautiful to look at with fantastic music cues. It's the only show left with any genuine production values. I think it greatly, GREATLY, benefits from coming in at 18-20 minutes, which is only 90 to 100 minutes a week, much easier to shoot and edit and sound mix. The other soaps can't compare on any level.

• Members

@Fevuh I used to think RS made certain actors better - SC being the perfect example - but I realize that was when Quinn was written as a stronger character. The shift to victim, passive, 'Bad Santa is my savior,' fretting over a stupid secret, does not play to her strengths. I think RS dislikes that direction and it's showing on screen. 

The reality is that Brad can't stomach an independent, self-made and intelligent woman. Seriously, the Quinn the audience knew wouldn't believe Deacon was calling the cops and would've drop kicked him without hesitation when he was flashing the gun. Instead, she needed a man to 'rescue' her so she could say she 'loved' him. Yuk. 

The writing is weak and repetitive. B&B has two strengths - 1) prime-time level production with amazing use of outdoor and location scenes; and 2) the ability to shift quickly from expected huge storylines that don't work out at all (Brooke's alcoholism, Lizzy custody being two obvious examples). How else do you shift from a full episode on Wednesday with the two female leads in an emotional tug of war over a baby to have both characters frolicking in a swimsuit photo shoot on Friday! No other soap has ever been able to that. Look at how DAYS has suffered from the inability to make adjustments. 

• Members

I'll confess, I'm enjoying Sheila's return.  KB still has it.  When she was in the car talking to Charlie (but really working herself up) was kind of chilling.  Not that many daytime actresses can give off that dangerous vibe like Kimberlin Brown. I absolutely buy her as a charismatic psycho who can bend weaker men (Mike, Eric, Charlie)  to her will.  Michelle Stafford is another one who played predator really well, which is why the Pheilia story was well cast, even if it was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen on a soap.

• Members

Yeah, KB has a star quality that not many people still working on soaps have. I love that she's scarier the quieter she gets, which Stafford used to do back in Phyllis's early days. (Now MS is just a loudmouth with a bunch of actorly tics.) 

KB certainly makes RS look amateurish, and I can't wait for Sheila to put Quinn in her place.

Archived