Do u think Ron Carlivati will be a success at DAYS?

• Members

I would say the characters stopped progressing by the end of '96/start of 1997. There was still evolution with characters throughout the Aremid story threads and into Paris and beyond. Once Sami got amnesia, the Susan/baby story was in place, Bo/Hope at a standstill while he was undercover for JL King, Jack went to prison, etc. it felt like all these stories were stuck in the same spot until the summer. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me, if you look at the emotional complexity of Marlena's fall from grace that lead to the possession, and then anything post that, there was never any depth for her again.  The same with Stefano.  His obsession became very one note.

Sami's jealousy with Carrie and her love for her family and deep shame in herself led to one great story after another.  But then it became her and Lucas plotting to keep Carrie and Austin apart.  Her schemes were fun, but I stopped caring due to the constant repetitiveness of her dialog and storyline.

I think recasting Jennifer with a terrible actress killed that story, and then that block of wood with abs that they replaced Valley with as Jack made the simple writing stand out even more.

Post possession, the show focused almost exclusively on triangles with one interloper per couple (or two if you think Sami/Lucas).  

I think Ron falls more in the shallow end of the writing pool.  But it will move faster than Reilly.

• Members

I didn't think Ron was all that great in terms of character depth in his last few years on GH so I agree with the shallow part. Maybe I'm giving her being around too much weight but I hope Sheri balances that, along with Quan.

• Members

How so in terms of what we're talking about?

I agree nostalgia is strong but also looking back certain writers seem like gold compared to now. JER gets a lot of flack and some won't like what he did but a few years of his work were nearly classic soap, albeit with out there twists.

You have to have some sort of sentimental attachment to a soap that's been on the air for 40 years. What's wrong about that?

• Members

The genre at all times is steeped in history.  By nature we follow them for years, even decades.  Ignoring the history and characters over 45 is literally what destroyed the genre.

Ron had success and ratings growth on GH because he used the vets and new characters together.  

One of his highest rated events was Robin reuniting with her family and interrupting the Sabrina/Patrick wedding.  He was forced to drag it out by her availability, but it worked because viewers responded and the ratings showed it.

I think using a full canvas, respecting the history of the show and modern storytelling are what could save these soaps.  They need to be emotionally daring and not focus so narrowly on a handful of characters to do it.  Vibrancy of emotions does not cost anything, and even Monty could tell you if you don't care about the characters any adventures they go on are worthless.

• Members

He got away with the most audacious thing he could come up with (up until then) & the ratings showed it.

After that, why not sit back, relax, and not try as much? His entire run of PASSIONS was a big, long, "Wonder if I can do this and get away with it?" Clearly, he could!

• Members

This is dead-on. I was pretty young, but even then, it seemed to me like it was starting to stagnate. '97 and '98 were very samey to me. Characters like Sami and Kate were completely played out by 1998, IMO.

• Members

Dena Higley is just bad in an entirely predictable way. Ron will likely be bad in a different way. If we at least get a couple months of decent something while he fixes her garbage and makes it seem relatively awesome, it'll be worth it.

• Members

The thing is that I don't think Days is even bad - it's worse than that. It's boring. A bad tv show at least usually has a snark value to it, but Days even lacks that. 

Ron Carlivati might have his huge flaws, but at least it won't be boring to watch anymore.

• Members

You're right. It is boring. I just don't know if I can put up with another soap instantly becoming better, only to suck again after the previous team's hack job is wrapped up neatly. It was pretty excruciating the last time it happened to Days.

Archived