Do u think Ron Carlivati will be a success at DAYS?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm anxious and nervous to see what a modern-day Reillyesque type of DAYS will be like, in the days of shoestring budgets, 8 episodes shot per week, and audiences that expect more reality-based shows vs. fantasy. 

Poor Deidre. When Marlena becomes repossessed, she may just have to speak in a lower voice rather than giving her a voice adapter feature. And she'll morph into a blue Russian cat rather than a black panther. 

• Members

That concerns me because Reilly wasn't all that good...and he basically changed the show in a way that no writers could really carry on well.

Ron needs heavy reigning in...but if Sheri is there..then Marlena will get some good stuff to play

• Members

Reilly was great in the 90s he was so crazy bold and ratings were fabulous. I will say though his second stint was not so great. He was head writing show with Passions it just wasnt great. I am looking foward to Ron because anything can be better then Dena. Dena has been so awful and bad it can only go up.

I was never a fan of JR's over the top stories. But at least Days had a budget back then. RC doing Reillyish stories on a dollar store budget isn't going to work. I agree with you Dena awful. But RC can be awful too. I do hope RC's stuff is watchable. But i'm not holding my breath.

• Members

You may not have loved Reilly's campy storylines but he at least had a beginning, middle and end. He knew how to glacially pace a storyline so that there were payoffs (and numerous frustrating teases along the way). I'd take that anyday now over what we're stuck with. He was terrible in his second return. The first few years of Passions, while out there, also followed his 90s storytelling. If you look past some plot driven stuff, his 90s stuff was gold compared to the [!@#$%^&*] we're given now.

I have no doubts Ron will channel JER.

And LOL, I too am already bracing for some sort of possession nod for Marlena. I don't think it'd be "poor Deidre" as she's as far off the stove right now as you can get.

• Members

LOL I know.

At least they're trying to change around the blue room they constantly use for everyone's office LMAO

Same. But I could very well be one of those. Ron does fine in his first few years but then ... so we shall see.

And Reilly had the Lopez-Fitzgeralds and Russell's. It was pretty diverse for daytime at the time. He made Simone a lesbian. There was clear class divides. Sam, Ivy, Grace, Julian, Eve, etc. had thought out backstories. He actually believed in having a bible for the show. I really don't know what happened but by 2002 when Josh Ryan Evans passed it's like he gave up and just keep spiraling downward. The last few years were nutso storylines, and lots of rapes.

• Members

I've alwas believed that if you take away all the sci-fi stuff and poking fun at themselves, JER's writing of Passions during the first few years were classic soap right down to the forbidden romances, murder mysteries, and social climbing vixens. 

Archived