GH: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't think Alex and Anna were alike. Alex was softer as I recall.  I don't remember her having an edge at all, and Anna clearly has always had an edge.  But they weren't that different.  It seems strange to me if Alex is suddenly evil.

I was watching when Faison arrived and we explored Anna's time with the DVX. It added something to her and her earlier scar storyline when she arrived that she had this background and was making up for her mistakes, but also could be shady and seemed more dangerous than Robert when crossed.  I would hate to retcon that all away just for a lackluster twin story.

• Members

Alex had a mentally unstable background, having been a black ops spy brainwashed by her evil foster mother to think she was Anna. She was always a very insubstantial character with a bizarre, nonsensical backstory which JP of course wrote. I don't find her turning up evil implausible.

• Members

The only thing I really remember her was that scene where she did some Vulcan neck pinch on David and that it was embarrassing for the show that she had more chemistry with Michael Nader in flashback scenes than she had with John Callahan in an entire huge pairing (didn't he propose her on The Cutting Edge with some woman wearing a sexy nurse uniform or something?), which is likely one of the reasons they brought Nader back before he went off the rails again and they recast him with Anthony Addabbo (it's odd to remember Nader is still with us and Anthony isn't). 

Finola said at the time that she had a very hard time playing Alex and was much more comfortable playing Anna again. And it really did show.

• Members

It's the definite reason: Finola saved Nader's job based on those flashbacks. The Alex/Edmund thing bombed and so did John Callahan's standing on the show from then on, post-Eva LaRue. Even when she returned he was an afterthought, sadly.

Supposedly Jean Passanante and co. originally envisioned Alex actually turning out to be Anna, brainwashed. Someone objected and instead it became Alex having been brainwashed to pose as her twin sister for various intelligence agencies. The story of the Devanes on AMC is one of the most nonsensical and off-brand that I've ever encountered - everything with Samantha Eggar, their 'real' parents, something about the dad having an affair with the nanny, the whole thing with Gabriel. None of it made any sense or had any business being on AMC. Eventually they just cut bait and kept Anna, which was best. For awhile. Passanante was the worst even then - her show baffled me.

It was lovely seeing Dimitri again in 2013, and I wasn't surprised he was shed of Alex and told Brooke so.

• Members

Her AMC work is some of the worst soap writing I can remember. She's a poor/mediocre writer in general but something went very very wrong with her in Pine Valley. I don't think it's ever been as bad as that elsewhere. 

Wasn't there also a clock or something? 

Archived