Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R has no interest in Sharon beyond her providing angst for Nicholas which is why he all but marked his territory when Scott appeared at Crimson Lights.

It's Y&R doing its best to keep Nicholas relevant especially since the pairing with Chelsea has been another major flop for him.

Because SSM's Y&R doesn't do character based writing.

Occasionally they get lucky with vets who elevate their writing (like the Dina story) but in general they treat their scripts like MadLibs.

• Members

LOVE all of this.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I love Hillary v Lily which seems to go on every time I've view over the last few years and right now it feels like it is getting to a fever pitch. Hillary v Mariah is now meh to me.

• Members

That used to happen a lot on soaps in the 80s especially and some of the 90s, particularly between colleagues who worked together, in places like hospitals and police station houses.  

Much of the dialogue between characters often used to consist of banter, back then the exchanges between colleagues were usually characterized by wit.  Only between rivals and enemies did the exchanges lean toward bitterness.

This type of thing is nothing new. In fact, it was employed more often and executed a lot better in the past.

• Members

Yeah a Scott vs Nick rivalry is a snooze fest.  And why a rivarly between two boring characters?

It's going to continue to be one boring summer. I could care less for this triangle attempt. They need to end it before it even starts.

• Members

Mariah is already in that newman/abbot/winters Mergeron story plus that music story cum sex trafficking thing of Tessa's.  Didn't you see her giving educated experienced business men advice on how close the deal? Didn't you see her interviewing Dina and Devon for GC Buzz? Didn't you see her helping Devon sign Tessa? She's already all over the place much like Scott. 

Then he needs to be at Newman. Nick  has no purpose whatsoever. 

Then Mariah would have nothing to do but play supporting to Tessa. 

It's been so refreshing to have Hilary on these last couple days without Mariah tied to her hip.  Hilary has had more airtime with Mariah over the last two months than Devon and Jordan put together. They have so much airtime together, you'd think Mariah was the one Hilary was in love with or sleeping with as opposed to Jordan or Devon, whom Hilary rarely interacts with now. The entire dynamic if that triangle/qaud is odd and doesn't work in its' current form. 

• Members

So we were watching a couple series on Netflix - 13 Reasons Why and Riverdale.  They're serials, and I noticed a couple of things, particularly with Riverdale (13 Reasons Why a little less so).  These shows are pure manufactured drama.  Every 15 minutes something.happens.  The music scores are substantial in those scenes.  It's tiresome, honestly.  I mean, how many secrets can Archie and the The Gang have to keep this hectic pace going??  And it led me to think of Y&R and the traditional soaps - is that kind of storytelling what people want to see?  15 or 20 "wow" moments on a 44 minute show??  It looks like Riverdale will have a season 2, and for the life of me, I can't imagine how they are going to keep this up.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think it's relevant to Y&R, given how many people here seem to think the show is "boring"...

• Members

HTGAWM is the same way. A frantic pace with a twist and turn every 5 minutes. It's so manic that characterization suffers for it. I had to let it go. I realized that these kinds shows start out good but eventually it becomes tedious and I become numb to the latest wow moment. Y&R is the same way with Victor. I am no longer shocked by anything he does. 

• Members

The production has improved over the last few weeks.  Lighting, music and camera work are all working for me, especially today's show.  I'm no fan of the current Chloe/Chelsea/Nick story, but it had my attention.  The Victor/Nikki scenes were well done and Dina continues to work for me.  The low point for me was Scott/Kevin/Sharon in the coffee shop. 

If these last few weeks have shown anything, IMO, is the need to have Dina become a permanent resident of Genoa City.

Count me among those that like Mattie and Charlie.  The age thing with Lily doesn't really bother me, it's happened before with other characters and this won't be the last time.  And I still like Reed.

IA the Scott and Jordan characters aren't working.

• Members

IMO "The Newman's hate Victor" rehash is CBS/Sony attempting to send EB to the retirement home. I'm pretty sure EB hates this storyline too but for whatever reason he hasn't ranted to the soap press yet.

Archived